Highlighted

Feedback | Adobe Dreamweaver 2019 and Beyond

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

There has been much debate on the future of Dreamweaver on this forum. The product team has put together their vision for the product in this blog post Adobe Dreamweaver 2019 and Beyond | Adobe Blog

Feel free to discuss your observations here around the blog post. I will share this post with the team for them to chime in when necessary with their observations.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Feedback | Adobe Dreamweaver 2019 and Beyond

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

There has been much debate on the future of Dreamweaver on this forum. The product team has put together their vision for the product in this blog post Adobe Dreamweaver 2019 and Beyond | Adobe Blog

Feel free to discuss your observations here around the blog post. I will share this post with the team for them to chime in when necessary with their observations.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 17, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one thing: SB's, where are they?

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 17, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started a discussion regarding the blog post, but so the team does not miss my post in that discussion, here it is again -

I was pleased to read that code hinting would be for ALL html5, css and js, but I would be interested to know what is ment by 'ALL'. As html5 contains much more than most people think, and in my experiance, much more than the Dw team think. Plus css and the js api's, at what stage in the recomendation process will a spec be included in code hints, as many specs are WD's but stable and well supported by browsers.

Dw's code editor could use a lot of work, but the little information provided does not allow me to make any judgement. I see no mention of a stand alone css prefixer though, which as I have said previously makes Dw a 'do not use' for many.

As for the pre-release, and testing. As I have said previously 'why should I bother'.

I found some members of the CAB and prerelease insulting, and lacking in knowledge, (though not all). Anyone thinking they can influence anything, forget it. Replys or discussions with any Dw team member are now none existant. And lastly, whats in it for me?

I don't use CC, so any 'here is a years CC subscription' is worthless.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 17, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No new features? Just basically bug fixes. By the end of 2020 it will just be another 18 months further behind than Dreamweaver is now. Looks like I moved on from Dreamweaver in time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 17, 2019 2
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few other items, as we are not keeping this to just the blog post.

css designer -

So far behind what is required, that I cannot even see how it could be rescued. Remove it of fix it.

css transitions -

All browsers and devices now have excellent support for css transforms, transitions and animations. Even a number of api's are well established. So same a css designer. Remove it or fix it.

Starter pages -

Flexbox and css grid layouts are also well established, so there is no need to use bootstrap. Starter pages for those who do not want bootstrap should be provided. (Use my suggestion from the 2017 pre-release, get CAB members to create them, that way they can also prove their competance in web design/development).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 17, 2019 2
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant understand this at all. All  I can assume is these guys behind DW development are woefully inadequate...........or am I being too harsh on them? As much as I dont like Wappler, their engineers seem to be able to put out a significant update almost every week so respect where respect is due. They listen, don't fart and fanny about and get it done.

Geez you sometimes you lose the will to live dealing with zombies.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 17, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the point of Starter Pages, since Bootstrap was added to DW, there have been (and still are) starter pages that do not use the framework. Currently, under the Starter Templates option...

Basic Layouts (3 non Bootstrap templates)
Bootstrap Templates (6 options)
Email Templates (4 non-Bootstrap options)
Responsive Starters (3 non-Bootstrap options)

While a far cry from the latest and greatest Flex or Grid css options, they're generally solid. Seeing more options being added (or download and installable from "somewhere") would be better, but there are options aside from BS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 17, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is Jon, Dw is catering to an ever declining user base.

If you read the discussion -

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2638463

which is just a starter discussion relating to the future of web design/development, and its problems.

The simple truth is, that for anyone to move into the application design and development field, (browser based) flexbox, (and possibly grid in the future) are an essential grounding knowledge. Without the basic layout structure for modern applications, (which the current starter pages do not offer) anyone even thinking about making the transition has no choice but to assign Dw to the scrap heap.

If html5, css and js api code hinting is included, then at least Dw may be able to offer 'application' starter pages. It is probably too late for Dw in its current form to make a serious bid into application development, but at least it may help designers and developers get started with the basics.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 17, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prerank28948274

Sorry you are getting involved in this, I don't want to shoot the messenger .

What I, and possibly others wanted to know, was what is the thinking for Dw's future?

Is it to remain on the same track, or is there any plans to make it into a product for professional web designers/developers?

If it is to remain on the same track, (used mainly by beginners and casual users) then there is no point in us hoping for anything more. If on the other hand it is to make it into a professional product, then are the resources and backing from Adobe available, because if not, it is a no go for the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

If it is to remain on the same track, (used mainly by beginners and casual users) then there is no point in us hoping for anything more. If on the other hand it is to make it into a professional product, then are the resources and backing from Adobe available, because if not, it is a no go for the future.

Hi Paula,

I honestly don't think Adobe are interseted in this kind of market any longer as there are too many other players and its conceeded defeat. They don't have good market share like their other products do. What I guess we need to kmow is why they are persisting with a dead product, is there actually some logic to it,  that we are overlooking.

Take brackets for instance, another Adobe web-app, its barely changed since its release, left to 3rd party sources to produce useful plugins, which is not so bad but its UI is woefully behind the time now, you can't change the file tree to your prefered color scheme or your liking. It's split window has a poor implementation, its live view is poor unless you like Adobe specific code injected into the browser. I mean what use is that when you need to use the browser tools to inspect an element. Adobe just seem totaly out of their depth or at the very least dis-interested in this particular market. Brackets has some very nice features but they are not being improved.

Back to DW, why bother when you could be concentrating on better options. It's not going to improve to a point which is going to satisfy you, me or others, its like one of these bits of software from yester-year which plods along, apealing to fewer and fewer, before disappearing into oblivion due to lack of support.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that basically what we all decided in this discussion -

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2638463

(are web dev forums part of the problem).

But there is an alternative view regarding Dw, that may explain why, and that is simply because they are getting the advice from the wrong people!

I'm not deriding acp's, or Dw staff here, but many acp's and Dw staff present themselves as so called experts, even though they have never worked in the field or have little practical experiance in the profession they proclame to be an expert in. Even if they create sites for family and friends, teach or write about a subject, that does not mean they know how to do something and earn a good living by doing so.

The phrase that always made me laugh when someone from the Dw team wrote it, was -

"we will do an analysis of the subject matter", (or similar). Which ment in lay terms - "we have no intentions of doing anything".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

But there is an alternative view regarding Dw, that may explain why, and that is simply because they are getting the advice from the wrong people!

But we know that. You and I have been in business far too long to pretend there isn't a lot of dead wood at the top, who dont know what they are doing and are dead scared of anyone even suggesting they could do better. They live in fear of losing their job so anyone that shows the slightest intelligence they cut down.....P45......I'll get my hat and coat then shall I.

Its a corrupt world run by corrupt people

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2019 1