• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Google maps API key

Engaged ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any workaround for getting a Google Maps API key without having to add a credit card? My understanding was that you would only have to provide credit card information if you believed you could get over 25,000 map loads a day.

I do not like the idea of having to contact all my clients and telling them they have to provide a credit card to Google to keep their maps loading correctly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google maps are still free to use. Create an account and choose the options as normal.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have given you a link: Get API Key  |  Maps JavaScript API  |  Google Developers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used that link, but each time I got to the billing information, the page would auto-renew and send me back to the URL you pasted!

I finally found a link back to the Google API console (https://console.developers.google.com/cloud-resource-manager) and used an API key from a older project and that worked.

I truly hate getting blamed for things that are completely out of my control. Makes me look inept when Google is the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be careful, if you have used your credit card to buy anything via Google they may well have your card details already. I bought into Google online storage some months ago and the one genunine api map key l had is listed as billable, not that l gave Google permission to do that as l set up the api key way back in Feb2018........lve now deleted the key completely from my account and will send an email to the 9 clients l have whose websites  use Google maps informing them that if they wish to continue to use them they will have to provide their own api key....... l dont particularly like the idea of my card details in the hands of Google maps. If there is some kind of spike in traffic you could end up with an unsuspected bill. Yes l know you can put a limited on the map loads but hey lm a bloody developer.....l dont want to spend all day assing around in Google maps trying to secure apis, you must do that because others can steal your api and freeload.

This career is fast becoming ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your original question, while they are free to use, you must now keep a credit card on file with google to have the API account.  Unfortunately there is no way around this at the moment. You could switch to the embed code for things like maps because you do not have these limits or switch to a different API altogether. You are definitely not the only one with this pain point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Google have blocked all api even those prior to this new requirement, which must have been recent. Those website maps of mine that use Google api are now blocked out and are unusable. I shall be advising my clients to remove the map or set up their own api account using their own credit cards if they require a Google map.

I never actually liked them anyway and always thought they made the website look tacky much like the twitter feeds.

Thats a bit sneaky from Google, no announcement that l know of.

Edited.

Actually one Google map is still functional.........l'll check the code when lm in the office next time to see why that is against all the others which have been greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I would create a new project in the API console and use the API key from that. Clients hate having to do technical things in creating the website, they want the web designer to do everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Know what you mean but id rather be safe than sorry........Google is a law unto itself and personally l dont trust them, look at Facebook........these huge companies are nothing but bullies and think they are above the law and should be chopped down to size.

Ive only just discovered where l can cancel my storage subscription if needs be, they concealed that rather well, behind a wall of pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are all extraterrestrials ready to pounce. Our days are numbered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BenPleysier  wrote

They are all extraterrestrials ready to pounce. Our days are numbered.

Feels like it.........not sure why I ever crossed the bridge into web development it's become insane over that last few years - I didn't get all these daily problems when I was just doing DTP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous.  Get people using it for free, then WHAM charge for it (if you go over the free quota.)

https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/user-guide/

Stupid move.  I hate the cloud.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant be sure but l think the one map that is still working does have an api key but it was one prior to the change, all the other maps dont have an api key and they are the ones which are now blocked out.........ok wait for the client phone calls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines