• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I put my local folders in the cloud.

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forgive my for not searching this forum extensively for an answer.

I have a number of mobile devices that I wand to edit a web site. So I really need it not to be "only" on a local machine.

I want the local folders to be in the cloud so I can access it with any mobile device and ideally like most cloud technology for it to be reflected on a local drive.

So when I go to work or or to another country and take one machine with me I will have no access issues.

I mainly use mac but occasionally would like to use a SG 8+ or a SG Tab2

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Sorry for the inconvenience I got it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is quite confusing (I'm not english native) to understand what you do mean when saying

".. I have a number of mobile devices that I wand to edit a web site..."

do you mean that you would like to edit your web site content ? edit your web site structure ? both ? or just visiting the web site ?

depending on your request there are different solution, or no solution at all

please precise what you would like to handle and I will go further... at least I'll try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have a Mac Book Air and a Mac Book Pro. I never take both with me to work or abroad. If I change an index file for example on one machine and upload it the index file on the other machine has not been updated.

I want to edit a web site from any device and the "local" folder to be in the cloud so its always the same no matter what machine/device I want to edit it with.

I know its a bit complex but this must be a common issue.

Thanks again

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I better undesrtand now, the confusion was about the SG8 and the SGTab2... because as it is a Dw forum, it wont be possible to install Dw on such tablets.

so if you just wan to be able to use both Mac and work on the same local file you have plenty solution but none of them are the one to go with... it will depend on your own context and workflow

the easy way is to have a shared folder that both machine will go to get the local files and folders. you can have this shared folder locate on the cloud (dropbox, sugar sync...), on a personnal network (owncloud, aerofs, bittorrent...), on a NAS (synolgy, freenas, drobo...), , on a USB key of passport drive.

it's easy to set up, but will affect performance and/or workflow.

as you will be alone you wont have any needs to set up any webdav or dw advanced extraction mode...

an other solution, will be to set up a middle remote server, like a depot... and each time you know that you will change machine, you will have to place all your local file on the middle web server... and then from the new machine, get all the files before working

still an other solution will be to use a github and work from a clone folder... but you still will have to commit and push all your working folder each time before leaving... so as you are alone to work ... except of the versionning process, you wont gain any advantage compare to the previous solutions

there is certainly others ways... but so far that are the ones that I (and my folks) use and set here at the office, because depending on projects, we are almost in the same situation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh goody. I use OneDrive a lot, actually for everything. Apart from movies and other large files I don't save anything locally now.

So I can copy my DW folder to OneDrive and use that as I would my local drive I use on my machine?

Sounds out there but If I could that would be great.

So I have two panels, say, on the left would be the remote server and on the right instead of local files (on my machine) they would actually be in the cloud in my OneDrive. I can do that? Are plenty of people doing that?

I could always back the folder up from OneDrive to my machine for safety and work on it if I have no internet connection.

I have thought of this before but are you sure DW will accept local files that exist in the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well I don't know onedrive, and never use it... so I can't tell... when I said folder on the cloud, I was talking about shared space... not personnal space...

say it differently, Dropbox, allows me to have a local folder on my OS that is shared with others users... so now DW can easly use this folder as local drive...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so each change made on the local folder will be reproduce by Dropbox and instantely shared with all users that use the same account or are invited to share this account.

now I took the exemple of dropbox... but it can also be sugar sync, box, pcloud, ... just google about alternatives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well OneDrive is no different to all the cloud services you have mentioned. You can share at least part of your OneDrive with others.

So it sounds ok. If OneDrive does not work I now know Dropbox does and I can use that.

Thank you very much for your help B i r n o u

I will try it and let you know how I go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok cool...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if you can help with another problem? Or someone else?

I have used a very old version of DW for years. I know very little of the finer points of DW. To me its a very functional tool to give my students access to their work. Its extremely simple and probably very outdated but it works for me, my students and other staff who use the site as a resource place.

In my old version of DW on my two panelled remote server and right hand panel, local files I had the option of organising the tree according to various orders eg last used or ordered alphabetically. In my present version 2017 it is blank on the top ribbon.

How canI get my options on the 2017 one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just right clik on the empty bar (on the file panel) and you should get acess to a drop down menu to add, remove properties

you also have access to it from the web site setting on advanced features column...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

beautiful B i r n o u,

Thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow it works!

Now I have one place, in my OneDrive cloud, where I can edit from.

All the links were broken so in the process of fixing them but keep them relative.

Now I have to go and find out why all the links to Youtube have stopped working.

Thanks again for all your great help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool that it helped... did you fix your link ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixing them all now. But it actually works better from OneDrive than it does from my machine.

And I can access it f rom anywhere and any workstation as long as I log in with my profile to get access to my OneDive. I will have  to use other ftp clients.

Ahhhh the wonders of technology, and  those who help:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Dropbox sync all files automatically now, when you change a local file on your machine Dropbox sees it and duplicates it to the Dropbox folder, even if you create a new folder? Last time l investigated it as a storage-back up device it didnt, not even the business version? Maybe its been updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I miss understand what you say, could you please be more specific...

if one edit a file... then saved it... thne that's it... drop box si drop box and will update the file as soon as it was changed..?

I work that way since long... so please could you reforumalte what you said

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What lm asking is if l create a new folder and files on my computer, not created in the Dropbox folder, will the Dropbox folder see l have done that and duplicate them to the Dropbox folder, someting along the lines of a backup device which scans the computer for any changes and backs those changed files up or do you have to manually upload the changed files to Dropbox every time you change them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still don't understand your point...

dropbox is  a service that ask you when installing where you would like to have a drop box root... once this is set... dropbox will watch this folder...

it is the same than the web site folder definition for DW... once you have set it... DW will watch any change belonging to this folder... if you create a file and a folder on the desktop it wont belong to the root folder, and so wont be watched... that is why I don't understand your point ?

now does alias or alias like exist... hmmm... I quite don't know!

you can still create a windows (or a Mac) procedure, that will sacn a folder every X minutes and copy it... to a back up folder... every OS handle that perfectly...

personnaly I use a synology

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive aready got a back up device connected directly to the computer which backs up at intervals during the day. I was just investigating something similar where files also get backed up to cloud storage.

Re reading the Dropbox documentation wants to make you thow up. It says sync can only be used by a professional subscriber but its available for a business subsciber but were not really  sure if it will work and if youre a personal subscriber who upgrades to a business subscriber it definitely wont work.........not hugely helpful or clear how it works but you have to download a driver in all situations.

Meanwhile google one drive apparently released a sync app last year where by you sign into the account and select the files and folders on your computer you want to keep a watch on and it will update if they are changed.........seems a lot clearer and easier to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is what I was telling you

".. you can still create a windows (or a Mac) procedure, that will sacn a folder every X minutes and copy it... to a back up folder... every OS handle that perfectly......"  let me explain it step by step...

• say that you have a folder HERE where ever you want
  • say that you have a folder BACKUP in within the dropbox zone
  • now you create a OS procedure that back up the HERE folder in the BACKUP folder...
  • and here you are, you have your cloud back up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would I personally need or want to create an OS procedure to do anything, that should be part of the software or service you decide to use, unless that is what you are saying......l must admit l cant follow most of your posts due to the language differences and it doesnt seem as though you understand what l am writing either a lot of the time.........humm.

I thought l would add do not take that as an insult, at least you make the effort to learn English......ld never survive if l ever jumped on a ferry to France as I couldnt order a beer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I deduce that you think dropbox must include in its services the ability to define folders scattered on the hard drive, out of the root folder, to archive them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I have dificulty understanding your terminology unfortunately. I'm merley asking if it can do what a normal back-up device connected to a computer can do, recognise changes that have taken effect anywhere on the computer and back them up automatically without me having to intervene or writing some kind of OS procedure.........is that so difficult to understand?

Is that a simple yes or no or maybe you dont know??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

youps I'm sorry... I didn't know that you wasn't knowing Dropbox... and that you thought that we was talking about a backup program... nope we was talking about a sharing hosting service

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines