• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert straight quotes to smart quotes (or set as default)?

Engaged ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using DW CS6 and looking for a way to convert all straight quote marks to curly smart ones. Or a preference to force them. I'm not pasting in text from anywhere else.

All the posts I've found on the subject seem to be going the other way: turning smart quotes into straight ones!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to do this in html is to insert the character code -

• left single quote ‘ ‘
  • right single quote (and apostrophe) ’ ’
  • left double quote “ “
  • right double quote ” ”

The reason for this not being an option to turn on/off, is because html, css and javascript also use straight quotes, and smart quotes (typographers quotes) would be flagged as an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, those are the HTML codes, but that doesn't tell me how to globally convert from one to another. I would have hoped that Design mode would allow smart quotes, while Code view would do straight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because the "smart quotes" create so many problems.  It's one of Micro$oft's "better ideas that don't work".  There is not full browser support, for them, AFAIK.

Not to be snarky, but I cannot imagine any scenario whereby smart quotes would actually be preferred over standard quotes.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure that smart quotes are an MS idea, are they? If there's an HTML code for a left quote, then browsers should support it, or not be compliant surely?

The main reason for preferring them is that they don't look hideous.

I'm guessing the answer is 'no'. I'll have to try some grep patterns and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may or may not be Micro$oft.  I first experienced them in Word, long before I saw them anywhere else, so it isn't far-fetched to assume.

We built a customized CMS for a customer who regularly copies/pastes from Word documents, and we finally had to write a filter to replace them with standard quotes before inserting the content into the database because the smart quotes kept screwing up the pages.  Sometimes the browser would display a smart quote as some odd looking ASCII character, and sometimes everything after the first smart quote would be cut off (it would be in the View Source, but the browser wouldn't parse/display it.)  So, please forgive my abhorrence of the smart quote.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not alone.  I detest smart quotes as well.  They're nothing but trouble in PHP and MySQL apps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you're using quotes inside  <blockquote> tags as you should,  you can use the CSS before and after  pseudo-classes to automatically insert your curly quotes at the beginning and end of your block quotation text. 

CSS example:

blockquote:before {content:"\201C"; left:0; top:30px;}

blockquote:after {content:"\201D"; right:0; bottom:0;}

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to know, thanks. However, entire quoted paragraphs are not the only use of the marks. There's simple apostrophes, and quoted words within a paragraph.

Obviously, I wouldn't want to use smart quotes for things like string delimiters in an actual scripting language, because obviously it's a different character, but there's no reason why HTML shouldn't parse &rsquo; correctly.

If I type ">" in Design View, Dreamweaver adds &gt; to my code. Same for &.  If I type a curly apostrophe in Design View, it just adds the  character to the HTML. I kind of expected more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

without wanting to distort the content proposed by Nancy, personally I prefer (both for the Q tags and the BLOCKQUOTE tags) to use the open-quote and close-quote values in the content property and redefine the quotes property in the original tag... this allows to centralize the definitions and to easly manage nested tags.

TAG {

quotes: "\201C""\201D""\2018""\2019";

}

TAG:before {

content: open-quote;

}

TAG:after {

content: close-quote;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines