Highlighted

HTML5 Dropdown Menu collapsing on iPhone

Participant ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest iPhone update, iOS 13, I am having trouble with HTML5 Dropdown Menu's.

When you press on the navigation bar for the menu to drop down, it immediatley goes back up. So there's no opportunity to click and go to other pages on the site.

Does anyone know of a way around this ?

TOPICS
Browser, Code, Extensions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

HTML5 Dropdown Menu collapsing on iPhone

Participant ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest iPhone update, iOS 13, I am having trouble with HTML5 Dropdown Menu's.

When you press on the navigation bar for the menu to drop down, it immediatley goes back up. So there's no opportunity to click and go to other pages on the site.

Does anyone know of a way around this ?

TOPICS
Browser, Code, Extensions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 30, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"HTML 5 Menu" doesn't really tell us much about your code. There are an infinite number of ways to make an "HTML 5 Menu" function. We would need to see the code you're working with in order to give you a good answer as to why you're seeing what you're seeing..

Could you please post a link to your work in progress?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 1
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a few sites utilizing the S4W HTML5 Drop Down Menu extension. They have performed fine over the past few years but the latest iPhone update is now causing a hiccup.

Here is a link to one of the sites:

http://www.spinaxis.co.za/

The code contains js, css and html files. The js & css files are quite lengthy, do you still want me to post ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 0
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need to post the code itself in the forum.

As long as it's the code being used on the actual website you've linked to, the contributors here will be able to see in real time what's happening, and hopefully come up with a fix for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 0
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, holding thumbs !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 0
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With which browsers are you having difficulty? 

Fix your code errors.  That's the #1 cause of performance problems in modern browsers.  See link below for errors reported on your home page.  Suggest you check your entire site for more errors and fix those as well.

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spinaxis.co.za%2F

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 0
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error is only showing on the latest iOS 13.2 iPhone update. Safari is the default browser.

This site hasn't been updated for a few years, as the others, so the errors that W3C reveal need attention but aren't critical to the function of the menu.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 0
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, some browsers are very forgiving, some (particularly the newer browsers) are not so forgiving. When I see

junk.jpg

I would be very wary.

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 1
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"so the errors that W3C reveal need attention but aren't critical to the function of the menu."

How could you possibly know that without first testing the original menu on a plain vanilla, error-free page?  If the menu by itself fails to work on iPhones, then you need to replace it with something newer.  But regardless of which menu you use, code errors need to be fixed.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uploaded the menu only on a blank page, but unfortunately it doesn't work.

http://www.spinaxis.co.za/test.php

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Participant ,
Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Adobe Community Professionals, not me, you guys, I presume you're using Dreamweaver. How are you developing your sites, are you using extensions, hand coding everything, what is your process? I need a solution that's not going to fall off the bus in two years.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2019 0
Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think that there is a single answer, or type of answer, either transversely between the various members of this forum (ACP or not), or vertically according to the various projects themselves.

for my part, so very subjectively, everything (or almost everything) is coded by hand... by relying , depending on budget and project, either on a blank page, or on libraries (or frameworks, mainly Node basis), or on a premium theme (themeforest), or on a WordPress basis generally based on a premium theme (themeforest) there too, or on the client's existing system if it is consistent and would be time-consuming to start from scratch (in the latter case Node and its set of tools (package) are a very great help)

so DreamWeaver in there... well it's an excellent project management and management tool. the IDE is very comfortable and fully equiped (still miss debugeur, console, third part, real time preview, ... but external Node help in there), the code editor does what it can and as soon as it's out of date (depending on the projects) Sublime Text, and NotePad++ are on duty. (encoding and plural management is excellent under NP++ and Sublime offers an unparalleled ease of use and management (package, routines, GIT...)).

once again, all that depend on each one profile and expectation...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2019 1
Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to rapid changes in web technologies, nobody can predict just how long anything will last.  Regardless, the average site needs a re-build about every 3 to 5 years.  So if your site hasn't been upgraded in a while, i'ts probably time for a new site built with the latest frameworks. 

For front end development, Bootstrap and jQuery have held up well for me over the years. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2019 0