• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Regex Help

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question:  How do I get a regex wildcard to select only between the two nearest elements instead of going on to further similar elements?

I have a VERY long list of names that need to have the last name separated from the rest by a tab character.  In order to accomplish this, I've inserted a placeholder character (#) just before the return of each line, and replaced all spaces in the names with a different placeholder character (@) for my regex to reference.  These names are all first, middle initial, then last, having a space on each side of the middle initial.  So, with my placeholder characters inserted, the list looks like this (short sample):

Edward@C.@Sellner#

James@J.@Megivern#

J.@Philip@Newell#

I need to replace the @ placeholder just before the last name with a tab.  When I try and do that, my regex is selecting everything between the # placeholder and the first @ placeholder, instead of stopping at the seconds @ placeholder just before the last name.  Here's what I'm using in my search:

@([\s\S]*?)#

which I would replace with:

(tab)$1#

after which I would convert all placeholders back to their original state.

The problem is that this regex is going to the first @ placeholder instead of stopping at the one just before the last name.

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 3.46.58 PM.png

What should I be doing differently here?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Cayce​, was this of any assistance to you?  Just curious.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, this should not be working at all due to \s\S (anything that is a whitespace or anything that isn't a whitespace.)

Let me play around with this a bit.  I _love_ RegEx challenges.. usually. 

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW.. you don't mention if this is a single string, or an array, or what.  What is the context for this RegEx need?

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.. I was trying to use lookbehinds, but couldn't get it to work.

If you are trying to do this in Dw, use the following:

(@)[^@]*#[\r\n]

Looking for an @ followed by one or more of anything that isn't @ followed by # with a line feed.  The parenthesis around the first @ is a backreference ($1) that can be replaced with the tab that you want.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

always impressive on regex as usual...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merci, Birnou. 

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I did not quite think my solution all the way through.    The backreference should not be around the @.  There should be two of them around everything else, and manually insert the tab.

I will play with it some more, and post my final suggestion.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I've got it.  But I also just discovered a bug in how Dw implements the replace.

IF YOU USE REPLACE ALL, IT WORKS.  If you hit 'Replace' for just a single instance and do it repeatedly, it will skip lines.   ???

Anyhoo.. my final solution:

Edward@C.@Sellner#

James@J.@Megivern#

J.@Philip@Newell#

FIND using REGEX:  ([^@]{1,})(@)([^@]{1,})(@)([^#]{1,}#)

REPLACE:  $1$2$3    $5  (This is with four spaces, as a tab cannot be used as part of the replace.)

REPLACE ALL command:

Edward@C.    Sellner#

James@J.    Megivern#

J.@Philip    Newell#

REPLACE one at a time:

Edward@C.    Sellner#

James@J.@Megivern#

J.@Philip    Newell#

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cayce​, was this of any assistance to you?  Just curious.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, WolfShade!  Great help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.  And thank you for marking my answer as correct.  I do appreciate it.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines