Highlighted

Need to create custom keyboard shortcut for snippet

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previous versions of Dreamweaver allowed me to create a custom snippet, then assign a keyboard shortcut to it so I could insert it into my code on the fly. How can I do this in 2019?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jon Fritz II | Adobe Community Professional

There is no way to add shortcut key strokes, like Ctrl + Alt + Letter, to Snippets in the last few versions of DW. These days, Snippets get Emmet-like abbreviations that are then expanded using the Tab key. The last version I know for sure that still has standard keyboard shortcuts is CC2015, which is no longer available via the CC Desktop App.

You can still get it from ProDesignTools.com though. Their site uses Adobe's actual files for the download, so they're at least legitimate versions of the program. You just need to make sure to follow the directions exactly, otherwise you get a 403 Forbidden error.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Need to create custom keyboard shortcut for snippet

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previous versions of Dreamweaver allowed me to create a custom snippet, then assign a keyboard shortcut to it so I could insert it into my code on the fly. How can I do this in 2019?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jon Fritz II | Adobe Community Professional

There is no way to add shortcut key strokes, like Ctrl + Alt + Letter, to Snippets in the last few versions of DW. These days, Snippets get Emmet-like abbreviations that are then expanded using the Tab key. The last version I know for sure that still has standard keyboard shortcuts is CC2015, which is no longer available via the CC Desktop App.

You can still get it from ProDesignTools.com though. Their site uses Adobe's actual files for the download, so they're at least legitimate versions of the program. You just need to make sure to follow the directions exactly, otherwise you get a 403 Forbidden error.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 24, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Snippets Panel, click on any snippet and Edit it.   Where it says Trigger Key, add your keyboard shortcut.  The key + TAB will insert your snippet.  Hit OK.  Repeat for other snippets.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trigger Keys are not the same as shortcut keys, as they predetermine the shortcut, which is not ideal.

Shortcut keys utilize a more natural approach – i.e. Ctrl + B = bold.

I need custom shortcut key configurations for my coding.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2019 0
Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's what I figured. Leave it to Adobe to invent the wheel, then change its shape and charge you twice as much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2019 0
Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exhibitorm99666455  wrote

I need custom shortcut key configurations for my coding.

Sorry.  No-can-do.   Custom keyboard shortcuts are reserved for DW menu items.  

Code Snippets have Trigger Keys all their own which can be letters  or numbers followed by TAB.

And of course there are built-in Emmet shortcuts which are also invoked with the TAB key and save a lot of coding time.

Faster Coding with Emmet in Dreamweaver CC | Adobe Blog

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2019 0