• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Older Adobe GoLive site not displaying right

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been a little slow upgrading to Dreamweaver simply because I am so familiar with GoLive. My biggest client has an online menswear shop using Romancart and doesn't want to change. However, all the pages which contain coding for romancart are not displaying in the layout view. The page is blank with 2 white bars top and bottom and no content in between.

This is frustrating - and the only reason I didn't want to switch to DW. But my Mac OS is so old now, I have to upgrade which means GoLive won't work anymore.

Is there a simple solution?

Or will I have to rebuild the entire website from the start?

Romancart uses form code so why isn't it displaying?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

helenc55341786  wrote

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my question.

Just to let you know, Wordpress isn't an option here.

The client doesn't want it and we have also suggested some of the newer functions Romancart offer such as 'Storefront' and 'Seller' but to no avail. So I have little choice but to slog along with Adobe GoLive for now - or at least until I can successfully open and edit my pages in Dreamweaver.

AND FINALLY... here is the code which is causing the problem:

I can resolve this is

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

helenc55341786  wrote

Romancart uses form code so why isn't it displaying?

Don't know, it could be an error in the code. You probably need to paste the code in the forum so someone can at least confirm it doesnt display in the current version of DW.

Have you tried to see if the code displays in something like the free editor Brackets?

Brackets - A modern, open source code editor that understands web design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there and thanks for your suggestion.

I have never used brackets before - are you saying, this will enable me to edit the page online? (i.e. without using software?) This might certainly be worth a look. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

See Establishing a Dreamweaver CC and WordPress Workflow | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Have I missed something - where does it mention Wordpress?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RomanCart Ecommerce — WordPress Plugins

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

RomanCart Ecommerce — WordPress Plugins

Might be of course but Roman Cart is not exclusive to Wordpress. I think you can deploy it in any website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be best if you can post a link to one of the problem pages.

If you transfered the site to dreamweaver, did you also get all the assests, such as images and form processing scripts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thanks for your reply

I have posted up some links now:

http://www.stephenallenmenswear.co.uk/trousers/meyer.html

It is a very long and convoluted page, I'm afraid, but this is how the client wants the site to look. I tried opening a shorter page which is this one:

http://www.stephenallenmenswear.co.uk/trousers/scott.html

But it was no different.

I did wonder about assets such as components and I did actually re-write these as library items in DW (I am using CS5) and the interface is more like I am used to working with. I should add that all the other pages are OK it is only the ones which contain the Romancart code which will not display the body content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of DW are you seeing the problem in?

Could you post a link to one of the pages that won't display in DW?

It could be something as simple as a minor structural code error that GL didn't care about but DW is choking on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jon

Thank you for your reply. I have just purchased Dreamweaver CS5 as I thought it would be more compatible with Adobe CS2. Here is the page I was about to work in, using Dreamweaver:

http://www.stephenallenmenswear.co.uk/trousers/meyer.html

It is a very long and convoluted page, I'm afraid, but this is how the client wants the site to look. I tried opening a shorter page which is this one:

http://www.stephenallenmenswear.co.uk/trousers/scott.html

But it was no different.

The pages that contain tables such as the index are displaying fine. These are the ones which have none of the Romancart code in them. If it's a structural code error as you suggest, I wonder if I can fix it in the HTML source code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have 31 errors in that page including some relatively serious structural problems.

Run the page in the validator at http://validator.w3.org/nu to get a listing of the issues. Once those have been taken care of DW may show the page without issue. If it doesn't, post back and the contributors here can take a closer look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The client doesn't want it and we have also suggested some of the newer functions Romancart offer such as 'Storefront' and 'Seller' but to no avail. So I have little choice but to slog along with Adobe GoLive for now - or at least until I can successfully open and edit my pages in Dreamweaver.

<table width="200" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

<tr>

<td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#006699" width="194"><font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular" size="2" color="white"><b>1 pair - &pound;89.00</b></font></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="90">

<form action=http://www.romancart.com/cart.asp method=post>

<input type=hidden name=price value=89.00><input type=hidden name=storeid value=16959><input type=hidden name=itemname value="288 Roma. Meyer trousers">Colour:

</td>

<td align="center" width="102"><select name=itemname2>

<option>Colour</option>

<option value="Colour 06E Grey">06 Grey</option>

<option value="Colour 08G Charcoal">08 Charcoal</option>

<option value="Colour 09E Black">09 Black</option>

<option value="Colour 19E Navy">19 Navy</option>

</select></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="90"><font size="2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">Size:</font></td>

<td align="center" width="102"><select name=itemname3>

<option>Size</option>

<option value="Size 32 regular">32 regular</option>

<option value="Size 34 short">34 short</option>

<option value="Size 34 regular">34 regular</option>

<option value="Size 34 long">34 long</option>

<option value="Size 36 short">36 short</option>

<option value="Size 36 regular">36 regular</option>

<option value="Size 36 long">36 long</option>

<option value="Size 38 short">38 short</option>

<option value="Size 38 regular">38 regular</option>

<option value="Size 38 long">38 long</option>

<option value="Size 40 short">40 short</option>

<option value="Size 40 regular">40 regular</option>

<option value="Size 40 long">40 long</option>

<option value="Size 42 short">42 short</option>

<option value="Size 42 regular">42 regular</option>

<option value="Size 44 short">44 short</option>

<option value="Size 44 regular">44 regular</option>

<option value="Size 46 regular">46 regular</option>

</select></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="90"></td>

<td align="center" width="102"><input type=image src="../shirts/addtobasketbutton.gif" alt="Add to Basket" value="Add to Basket" width="70" height="17"></form></td>

</tr>

</table>

I can resolve this issue I will be very happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public web forum.  We can all see everyone's reply so you don't need to repeat yourself. That's one of the hazards of using email.   You don't see what the rest of us see.

I don't even want to know where you purchased CS5.  Adobe stopped selling the last Creative Suite product in January this year.  Creative Suite is not legally available from any source in any country.   It's outdated software & Adobe no longer supports it.   I sure hope you didn't buy a pig in a poke.

Do what Jon said and clean up your code errors.   The first URL has 70 errors.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stephenallenmenswear.co.uk%2Ftrousers%2...

The 2nd URL has 31 errors.

[Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.stephenallenmenswear.co.uk/trousers/scott.html - W3C Marku...

Brackets is merely a modern open source code editor, similar to Dreamweaver.  It's not a CMS for editing your site online.

That GoLive site is showing signs of age.  It needs to be rebuilt to modern web standards and responsively to work well on mobile, tablets and desktops.   But it sounds like your client isn't willing to pay for it so it is what it is, warts & all.    If the client has no interest in improving their web presence, I don't see why you should lose any sleep over it. 

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thanks for your help.

I guess there is no easy way to solve this and I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I just want to be able to edit my website in DW so that I can ditch GoLive and upgrade my Mac operating system (and it's this pesky software that's stopping me.) I see, most of the errors are to do with a lack of CSS and that my site is in tables.

I do most of my sites in Wordpress, these days, so they are responsive.

But tables are not the problem here and most of the pages are opening OK and displaying OK except for the ones with Romancart code. It's a bit of a pain really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using html setting in your table vs css isn't a dealbreaker, those items can be ignored given the age of the code and the client's reluctance to modernize.However, those aren't the errors I was referring to.

The structural errors need to be fixed. Things like missing end tags for your table rows, or multiple unmatched </form> tags you have splitting <td>, <tr> and <table> tagsets are areas of concern. You also have an unclosed link tag on line 1085 which usually causes problems in-browser as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<I just want to be able to edit my website in DW so that I can ditch GoLive and upgrade my Mac operating system (and it's this pesky software that's stopping me.)>

No it's the code errors that are holding you back. 

Download Brackets and see if that works any better.

Brackets - A modern, open source code editor that understands web design.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

helenc55341786  wrote

I can resolve this issue I will be very happy.

Your form tag doesnt belong where you have it now:

<td width="90">

You should reposition it before the opening table tag:

<table width="200" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

and move your closing </form> tag to after the closing </table> tag:

</table>

</form>

See if that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much.

To everyone who participated in this forum, I need a little time to follow all the suggestions.

Just wanted to say, I really appreciate the time and trouble you took to help me out and I will be back soon to let you know if I have resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines