Highlighted

Pls Help - 1st time builder using DW 18 - any pdfs 4 1st site?

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a skilled site designer and would like to put up a basic site for my med device startup.  Have spent 2-3 days either watching DW videos online and/or reading manuals from library and old pdfs on DW 5 - 10+.  Synonyms seem to never go out of style.  Anyone know of a simple easy to understand 5 - 15 page user manual in pdf form so I may set up one very simple rather basic bland no frills vanilla website?  I find tissue engineering easier to understand than DW manuals, sadly.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

There are no PDF manuals  I know of.   Understanding HTML & CSS is far more important than learning software.   Read the chapters & work with the code exercises in links below.

Since you're just starting out, I suggest using a starter template in DW as the foundation for your project.  First define your local site folder.  Go to Site > New Site...  Give your project a name and location folder.  Example, C:\MyTestSite\   See screenshots below.

CC-localsite.jpg

Go to File > New > Starter Templates.  Pick one and hit the Create button.

CC-StarterPage.jpg

After you save your newly created document, DW will create assets folders for your project as can be seen in your Files Panel (F8).

CC-StarterPageAssets.jpg

You now have the basis for creating your new site.   Post back if have more questions.

Nancy

TOPICS
Learn Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Pls Help - 1st time builder using DW 18 - any pdfs 4 1st site?

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a skilled site designer and would like to put up a basic site for my med device startup.  Have spent 2-3 days either watching DW videos online and/or reading manuals from library and old pdfs on DW 5 - 10+.  Synonyms seem to never go out of style.  Anyone know of a simple easy to understand 5 - 15 page user manual in pdf form so I may set up one very simple rather basic bland no frills vanilla website?  I find tissue engineering easier to understand than DW manuals, sadly.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Nancy OShea | Adobe Community Professional

There are no PDF manuals  I know of.   Understanding HTML & CSS is far more important than learning software.   Read the chapters & work with the code exercises in links below.

Since you're just starting out, I suggest using a starter template in DW as the foundation for your project.  First define your local site folder.  Go to Site > New Site...  Give your project a name and location folder.  Example, C:\MyTestSite\   See screenshots below.

CC-localsite.jpg

CC-StarterPage.jpg

After you save your newly created document, DW will create assets folders for your project as can be seen in your Files Panel (F8).

CC-StarterPageAssets.jpg

You now have the basis for creating your new site.   Post back if have more questions.

Nancy

TOPICS
Learn Dreamweaver

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 22, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would forget about DW. It's overkill for what you want.

Put up a Wordpress site in 5 mins. Maybe using a Premium (paid for) Theme which has lots of custom options.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, Thank you for the response.  I did see a WP theme that fit well for our startup.  May try to mimic it and go with Nancy's advice, giving it the old college try first with DW before a WP plan B.   THX!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2018 0
May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May try to mimic it

5 mins in Wordpress. 3-6 months for a DW novice.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I wish you every success.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2018 0
May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC-localsite.jpg

CC-StarterPage.jpg

CC-StarterPageAssets.jpg

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy,  will do.  Was taught to dance with the girl who brought you to the party, so plan A continues until either I'm incapacitated or B is truly necessary.  THX!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2018 0