• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Snippet Function Missing in CC!

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company just upgraded from Adobe CS 6 to Adobe CC (Finally!)

All the website administators, myself included, have Logitech gaming mice that we use to map all our Dreamweaver snippets to for quick access for converting text for web articles.

We take text from printed journals, and make it ready for websites, and the text typically contains a lot of supersript referecne numbers. We highlight the text, thumb the gaming key on the side of the mouse to warp the text with <sup> and </sup>. The keybaord shortcut for this action is mapped to the game button. 

I can't for the life of me find how to add a keybaord shortcut back to my snippets! Im going crazy with Google searches and it's coming up empty. Our productiviaty is really gone down and many of us are gonig back to Dreamweaver CS6. Any idea where this feature was moved to, it's essentail for our job!

TOPICS
Code , Error , How to , Interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Hi Charles,

Thanks for writing to us. Sorry to hear that the trigger key for inserting snippets were lost on upgrading from C6 to CC. Can you please try to follow the below steps to add the keyboard shortcut for the snippets and let us know if this fixes the issue you are facing.

Edit snippetsEdit snippets

Steps:

1. Invoke Snippets panel from Window menu
  2. Locate the required Snippet and right-click on the same
  3. Select Edit from the context menu and see that Snippet dialog will appear
  4. Enter the required key

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles,

Thanks for writing to us. Sorry to hear that the trigger key for inserting snippets were lost on upgrading from C6 to CC. Can you please try to follow the below steps to add the keyboard shortcut for the snippets and let us know if this fixes the issue you are facing.

Edit snippetsEdit snippets

Steps:

1. Invoke Snippets panel from Window menu
  2. Locate the required Snippet and right-click on the same
  3. Select Edit from the context menu and see that Snippet dialog will appear
  4. Enter the required keyboard shortcut in Trigger key section

All the keyboard shortcuts assinged to Snippets will work with the trigger key+Tab key.

Also we recommend to have the Snippets synced to Cloud via Sync settings feature so that you can have a back-up of all the custom snippets created.

Please refer to this page for more info on sync settings feature.

Regards,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I already understand the part about using the trigger key and tab.

The problem is when I highlight a number to make it superscripted to show it is a reference, I can't press Tab and the trigger key at the same time (like pressing shift and another key at the same time), it just overwrites the text with a tab or the trigger key.

I need to wrap the <sup> </sup> tags around the number like we've been doing for years in CS6. One can use CMD+B for bold and CMD+I for italic but as far as I can tell, there is no menu item for super and sub script so snippets are the only way for us to quickly format our medical documents with multiple superscripts per article. 

Triggger keys are great, I like them, but as an addition not a replacment to key mapping, not replacing. Is there any way I can use a work around to be able to highlight characters and active the snippet with a keystroke?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there any way I can use a work around to be able to highlight characters and active the snippet with a keystroke?"

Current Snippets are not used to format text. They insert code.

Use Emmet shortcodes.  Type sup followed by tab.

Result:

<sup> </sup>

Then type or paste your number inside the tags.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well lets look at this...

select text=> hit your shortcut to wrap text your custom tag=>done

hit s => hit u => hit p => (or whatever you non custom tag is) hit tab => select your text => move it inside or cut and paste.....

Who said this makes sense?  Lets cut the whole functionality of snippests and shortcuts so that people who write their own code and have styles and prefrences, sometimes unique, have a harder time scripting their code in exchange...  for what? 

Personally I don't use any of the shortcuts because of the format I customely built to process and serve. That means most of the built-in features don't do jack for me unless I conform to repetitive scripting I've built my whole structure avoiding. I still use 2015 because it still rocks em all for what I do. Saddness is that I will never see another upgrade. I mean a real upgrade that doesnt touch or builds upon the snippet and shortcut feature.  Dreamweaver could be cutting edge for people like me (build your own style) and mostlikly easier than making it for people that want the oposite or inbetween (Choose libraries that are built for me that contain loads of bloat script I will never use but I don't care, make it harder to upgrade any one thing, and possible have security flaws which I will never see because there are 1k files in the library style). Isn't there another adobe platform built for those kind of users? Anyways you get my point... 

I created an idea as well here: 43493301-coding-style-versatility-more-usability

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver CC was rebuilt from ground up in 2017 with a new coding engine based on Brackets.  Long story short, many things have changed.  Keyboard shortcuts from the past no longer effect Snippet insertion.  As Nayan said, you will have to assign new Trigger Keys to Snippets from the Snippets panel. 

Keep in mind that Emmet shortcodes were also introduced to Dreamweaver CC.  Emmet is a time saving way to produce HTML markup with shortcodes followed by Tab key.  Example: type p>lorem followed by tab key.

RESULT:

<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Facere atque ad vitae labore, aliquid expedita sunt dolorum voluptate unde minima, dolores repudiandae! Architecto voluptates rerum corporis molestiae! Ea, numquam, inventore.</p>

I like Emmet.  However there's a conflict when Emmet shortcodes share the same Snippet Trigger Keys.  Snippets will always prevail.  I'll let you read more about Emmet below.

https://docs.emmet.io/cheat-sheet/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having a snippet called "HTML Pic Foot Text"  make it wrap on cntrl+p and the code is:

<p class = 'bluTxt tSize12 roundBorders borderSize1 borderClrBlu1 fontSans Itlc thnTxt'>(Wraped Text)</p>

Just with cntrl+p if I wanted/needed repetitive....  My real script looks more like: 

. "<div class = 'clr bsep_1 lsep_3 ttl_3' >"
      . "Or "
. "</div>"
. "<div class = 'clr'>"
   . "<div class = 'clr ilb mid lft pad_2 lsep_2 bsep_1 lft_rnd_bdr_5 lbdr_1' id = 'sect_cont'>"
     . "<div class = 'clr ttl_2'>"
      . "<div class = 'clr nte mx_w200p' id = 'sect_nfo'></div>"
         . "<input type = 'text' id = 'sect' value = '' "
             . "onkeypress = \"on_key(event,this, function(){}); \" "
             . "placeholder = 'Security Token' autocomplete = 'disabled'"
         . ">"
      . "</div>"
    . "<div class = 'clr lft lsep_1 ts10' >"
         . "Security Token From Email"
    . "</div>"
. "</div>";

So naturally One shotcut set is of line wraps  ." =>" Thousands of those kill my productivity in comparison. That is just one example.  Another is the "if" wrap and the

empty(=>) === true false

wrap....   cntrl+i and cntrl+shft+e then remove true or false...  HUUUUUUUGE time saver. So mush so that I'd rather be stuck in 2015..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe broke the functionality of Snippets after CC 2015.

They actually totally removed Wrapping Snippets until very recently. They were gone after 2015 until version 20 or 21. 

The "trigger + Tab" is written as if you hit both at the same time, but it's meant to work like Emmet, where you type in an abbreviation then hit Tab to expand it. That function cannot work with wrapping snippets. As you've found, it simply overwrites what you're trying to highlight.

The fastest way to apply a wrapping snippet now is to highlight what you want to wrap and double click the Snippet's name from the Snippets Window.

It's definitely slower, but it works.

CC 2015 is still available from Adobe's site (no longer in the CC Desktop App) but they hide it for some reason. Go to the ProDesignTools.com link below and follow the "very important instructions" so Adobe's servers recognize you as a customer and the download will function: 

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2015-direct-download-links.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines