• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The select parent tag function in dreamweaver is not working for me even if I use shortcut code

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The select parent tag function in dreamweaver is not working for me even if I use shortcut code. I've spent quite a bit of time going through all of the preferences and reading articles on changing colors for coding etc. So 3 hours later, here I am begging for help. Without the ability to see where my Divs open and close, I can't troubleshoot my page. I think this is a tech support issue, but is there no way to contact Adobe tech support? I sure couldn't find one. Their links are circular and just bring you to the same 3 pages over and over. 

TOPICS
Interface , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of DW and which operating system?

For questions about product usage, these user-to-user forums really are your best resource 24/7.   Questions are usually resolved in a couple of hours, not days or weeks as is sometimes the case with tech support.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no trouble selecting parent tag from the Common Toolbar.

It works for me even with a document containing minor code errors.  See screenshot.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for responding. After a couple of relaunches, it is now working the way it should - selecting the open and close tags with everything in between. It just wasn't working before.

The other thing that troubles me is - Dreamweaver used to highlight the opposite tag. For example, when clicking on <div>, you could scroll down and find that </div> was also highlighted. And vice versa. My DW doesn't do that anymore. I'm using the latest version of DW CC. All of my apps auto update.

Thanks,

Rosemary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Brackets theme called RubyBlue from Github.  When I click inside a <p> tag for example, the matching </p> tag is also highlighted as shown in this screenshot.

image.png

If matching tag highlighting is not working, try a different code theme from Preferences > Interface.

When all else fails, Restore Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. Thank you, Nancy. I'll try that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy - or anyone who can help, I have tried every theme in DW and I also reset the preferences to default and I STILL don't have matching tag highlighting. I'm pretty ticked off that I pay for DW - and yet I have to use their free version Brackets instead? That's just not right.

Does anyone know how to reach Adobe Tech Support? I clicked around in circles for a half hour and just kept being re-routed to the community page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your code valid?

https://validator.w3.org/nu/

Matching tag highlighting, among many other DW functions, can break if you have code errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does matching tag highlighting work with a new document?

<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<body>
<h2>Heading 3</h2>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Id veritatis, odio, eligendi, aperiam quaerat distinctio vero dignissimos dolore eos hic repellendus nostrum, dicta earum nemo? Totam provident maiores cum voluptate.</p>
</body>
</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines