Exit

Why isn't DW letting me remove a Begin Editable tag from my HTML document

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, this is making me really angry now. I tried to move a 

BeginEditable

tag from one part of the HTML document to the other, but sintead it duplicated it. Now I'm getting the error message:

There is an error on line 88, column 51 <file path> InstanceBeginEditibleTac inside Editible region.

I am aware of the reason why the error message is orrucing, but now DW won't let me get ris of it. If DW just copied it and not duplicated this - and did as I asked it to, we wouldnt be in this mess

<div id="breadcrumb">
	<ul>
		<li>You are here:</li>
		<li><a href="../index.html">Home</a></li>
		<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="breadcrumb" -->
		<li>&raquo;</li>
		<li><a href="#">News</a></li>
		<li>&raquo;</li>
		<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="breadcrumb" -->
		<li><a href="#">Cookie Policy</a></li>
		<li>&raquo;</li>
		<li><a href="#">Cookie Policy</a></li>
		<li>&raquo;</li>
		<li><a href="#">Security</a></li>
		<li>&raquo;</li>
		<li><a href="#">Your rights</a></li>
		<li>&raquo;</li>
		<li><a href="#">Contact us</a></li>
		<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->	
  	</ul>
</div>

How do I get rid of the lower <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="breadcrumb" --> because this is making me really cross now!

TOPICS
Code , Error , How to , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to modify the Template Comment in a Child page, or in the original .DWT Template file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its from a Child Template.

Edit: Now it's telling me theres an "Error Violation" Why?! 

By the way, if I see this error message one more time m going tp pick my computer up and throw it against the wall repeatedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to move an Editable Region, it should be done within the .DWT Template file that was used to create your .html Child page, not within the Child page itself, that will cause problems when the .DWT Template is changed later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, so why am I getting this bloody "sharing violation" crap?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that error.

I stopped using Templates a while back because of the limited and somewhat fragile nature of that particular beast.

The way they're suppose to be used:

1. The .DWT file is created with Editable Regions where content will be changed from page to page on your site. 
2. Child pages are created from the .DWT, and only those Editable Regions allow you to edit content.
3. A change made to the .DWT at a later date (outside of an Editable Region) is automatically made to all Child pages created from it within a site by DW.

...if something within a Child is changed (usually outside of DW) and it no longer matches the .DWT it was created from, things go south, in a hurry. This might be where you are currently, I'm not entirely sure. Usually to repair stubborn errors with a broken Child page, it's easiest to create a new Child page from the .DWT file, and replace the misbehaving Child, then re-enter any page-specific into in the Editable Regions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you for your help. Much appreciate. 

It's what Im doing now. I'm sorry but software is designed to do what the uder tell it to do. If the software had just done what I told it to do in the first place we woulnt be in the mess. I've used DW for a long time and I've never had this issue. The developers of DW really need to sort thesmelves out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed, fully.

Adobe sort of lost the plot when it comes to DW, though I hear they're making steps to fix a lot of what they've inadvertantly broken over the years, in the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines