Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

would DW be prone to memory leaks?

Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

randomly, let's say that I haven't yet identified the methodology to reproduce this behavior, DW increases its memory consumption considerably, and this in an unexplained way.

It happens very regularly.

As a result, DW becomes unusable, and the only way to work is to force DW to quit, to reboot everything.

B_i_r_n_o_u_0-1590480691899.png

Any idea, other than to employ another code editor 😉

have a pleasant day

birnou

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, if the question arose, here is also the context of use at the time when memory consumption is running out of steam
- code view only
- just in case; the display tab is in create mode, although only the code tab is active.
- only one PHP file and one javascript file are open
- this is a work on a plug in for wordpress

- wordpress is locally installed (at least I think, I didn't verify... youps... I will)
- xamppv3.2.4 is launched

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Birnou,

This has become more common with adobe programs over the years. You will probably find that it is related to what Dw, (and other programs) are doing with the node.js 'watcher', for that program, which for some unknown reason Adobe has incorporated in many of its programs, (though I do have some suspicions as to the what node is doing and the why, sorry only suspitions, as I'm not interested enough to confirm).

In discussions regarding other programs where similar to your question have been posted, node has been the reason. The problem though, is that disabling node often disables functionality, and / or causes the program to crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at https://community.adobe.com/t5/get-started/process-called-node-exe-in-task-manager/td-p/9831224?page...

Interestingly, I am creating a project using NodeJS as we speak. So far, not as happy as with PHP. Perhaps it's the learning curve.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its probably the learning curve....you know once we know a workflow learning something else is always a pain until we know it well enough.

I dont know how Wap handles  node but the comments I will make about node, if you are using a manual workflow:

It's less developer friendly than php, asp, cold fusion etc. You have have to adhere to a strict file/folder structures. I have no idea why, it feels backwards rather than maintaining the status quo. A case in point I cant just point to a linked css file/asset, I have to tell the main app.js that its in a specific folder, the name of which doesnt get appended to the css file link, confusing and madness.

I have to create all the page routes whereas in php the file is the route, so that means extra 'unwanted files', meaning more management.

If I organise my modules into folders I have to export them then require them. In php you just include them.

In php all the logic can be executed in the same file where in node I have to seperate the logic into independent files, madness, which means switching and opening folders and files constantly.

You would want to use a template engine like ejs or handlebars which are equally as verbose as injecting php into your html, one of the main reasons why developers say they dont like php, so I just dont get it, all are not ideal.

Ok I could go on but that's just my experience. Obviously node is useful for certain situations like like multi-threading, games, real time chat, auction, share dealing aps etc and if thats what your goal is in web-development you would use node, no ifs or buts. If your goal is more the front facing visual website with a CMS etc then youre probably better of using a less cumbersome workflow like php, asp, cold fusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason I can see for using node now, is when you want to have a server/database set-up within the program/app you are creating.

Like angular.js though much of what they say about the advantages of using both node and angular may have been true 5 or more years ago, but not anymore, as html5, (note I said 5) css and ecma6 can do all of what they can do.

I also think that both node and angular, are now nothing more than js versions of  php, (and other server-side db combinations) or php/mysql cms's for js programers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason why I have more or less stepped aside is this constant pursuit of chasing your tail. We have deno.js now so node developers you would reasonable think will jump onto that bandwagon as it addresses some issues that shipped with node, until  the next new kid on the block emerges.

It would be interesting to see facts and figures on web-developer burn-out as you can never feel you have really reached the top of the mountain, there's always another peak when the mist clears.

I cant say I would want to be doing this now given all the various options available, it must be mentally exhausting and as you say a really good knowledge of html5 and modern javascript is really all you need to concentrate on, a bit like the good old days when there was less choice, more or less every developer was working towards a common goal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

an umpteenth bug on the subject has just been opened. So the investigation will go round in circles for a while... and then will vanish in the bottom of the bug base.
luckily we'll have new editing support in live view mode...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hopefully......good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines