• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[BUG] ESTK Object Model Viewer doesn't update Scripting Dictionaries for point releases for host applications

Enthusiast ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ExtendScript does not update its internal Scripting Dictionary files (which provide type information, etc. to the Object Model Viewer) except when a new Major version is encountered.

This is an issue because new APIs are (frequently) added in Minor and (occasionally) Patch releases. (I'm using in Semver parlance to refer to Major.Minor.Patch...)

The only workaround I know of is to locate the Scripting Dictionaries (~/Library/Preferences/ExtendScript Toolkit/4.0/ on macOS) and delete the major version for which you are attempting to get an updated Scripting Dictionary.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, we talked about this on a call... are you sure it isn't just Premiere where you have to recreate the Scripting Dictionary?

Also, maybe BBB​ can help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, maybe BBB can help...

Sorry to disappoint.

I'd also be interested to know whether it's just PPro or all point products, for which ESTK doesn't update the dictionaries.

In any case, since ESTK will likely soon be sent to a farm upstate where it can run and play with the other decommissioned Adobe apps, it's unlikely that dictionary rebuilding will receive much engineering attention, between now and our glorious UXP-(JavaScript)-based future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ErinF  wrote

are you sure it isn't just Premiere where you have to recreate the Scripting Dictionary?

I'm not entirely sure, no. I suspect that it works by checking to see how the apps identify themselves via the BridgeTalk protocol. I opened Audition v12.1.0 to test this out and found that the generated Scripting Dictionary was named:

omv$audition-12.0$12.1.0.xml

Running the same test with Premiere Pro 13.1.2 yielded the following Scripting Dictionary:

omv$premierepro-13.0$13.0.xml

Premiere Pro doesn't do a proper job of identifying itself. I ran one more test on another suspected problem child: Premiere Rush v1.1.0. This yielded the following Scripting Dictionary:

omv$rush-1.0$1.0.xml

I expected this issue as Rush is based on Premiere (they share the same ExtendScript API and lots of internals).

My guess is that this is the result of Premiere Pro/Rush not identifying themselves correctly to BridgeTalk listeners. The issue would affect any other apps that fail to identify their specific versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines