• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can not open .ai illustrator files in CS6

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am having problems opening several illustrator files, and pasting a vector from illustrator CS6 to fireworks CS6.

If I try to open an .ai file that I normally would open just fine in fireworks CS5.x I get an error that says:

"

Could not open the file.

An internal error occured

"

If i try to copy in Illustrator CS6, then paste to fireworks nothing happens.

This is occuring with multiple files, that are small in size, even selecting simple vectors and pasting is not working.

I tried creating a new file in Illustrator, pasting the shape from the other file, saving it, then working with that file in Fireworks, still does not work.

I tried rebooting.

12.0.0.236 , windows 7 ultimate x64, i7, ssd, etc..

Thanks,

Arthur

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

royrogers72 - you are the best! I uninstalled Quicktime and now it works! Great, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too, cheers RR72.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2014 Jun 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this isn't the case I have tried that and still have the same issues.  Can't open or import .ai or .eps files into Fireworks CS6.  Internal error msg.

Windows 7 64bit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2014 Jun 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its a bug and it sounds like they may still support bugs for fireworks cs6

IF I were you I would just use colored pencils, markers and ink. Take a snapshot with your smart phone and send it to the web developers. If your the web developer than just code up your entire concept in html and CSS. Fireworks is just the best way to quickly create concepts for the web and who cares about saving time when you bill by the hour.

You could also just use photoshop and illustrator but there are far more inefficient tools you could use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, 2 PCs running Windows 7 64 bit and Mac on Maverick. AS suggested above, QuickTime is not installed so it's not that. I've also been using Fireworks since version 1.... this is a ridiculous problem. A solution would be very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the excact same issue, also on windows 7. This is a major bug - we can not use the workflow we are used to!

I sent a bug report, hopefully Adobe will fix this bus as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - does anyone know if there has been any further progress on this issue? I am having trouble importing Illustrator files into Fireworks. I'm on a MAC running OSX 10.7.3. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ich bin am 29.7. zurück im Büro. In dringenden Fällen kontaktieren Sie bitte g.paganini@lenaxis.ch

Beste Grüsse

Markus Gempeler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same problem.

Quicktime uninstall did not work.

solution:

Start Firewroks in administrator mode, problem solved.

J'ai rencontré le même problème.

désinstaller Quicktime n'a pas marché.

Solution:

Démarrer Firewroks en mode administrateur, probléme résolue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may use a proved way of AI file restoration. Owing to Illustrator Repair Toolbox you can simultaneously open some .ai files, including CS6 files version.

Tool is placed at next source: http://www.illustrator.repairtoolbox.com/

In case this method wouldn't be effective, see necessary actions of alternative .ai opening

To attempt recovery using Illustrator itself:

1) Create a new document

2) Select “place image” ( File > Place… )

3) Choose your corrupted file in the dialog box. Make sure you choose file types to ” ALL DOCUMENTS “, not just RECOMMENDED.

4) Save this file. If you cannot save this file (due to corruption), copy your vectors and paste them into a new illustrator document.

PROS: You should be able to select the corrupted file, and your vector work should be saved.

CONS: All layers will be flattened into one. PMS color info and placed images may be lost. File may still be corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ich bin am 10.3. zurück im Büro. In dringenden Fällen kontaktieren Sie bitte g.paganini@lenaxis.ch

Beste Grüsse

Markus Gempeler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Illustrator since when 80's music was not classic rock and Fireworks since the day Macromedia released it in 1998.

And not being able to open and illustrator CS6 file in fireworks CS6 is so unbelievably retarded it defies any type of explanation.

This is something I've done almost every day FOREVER.

I guess it's time for us old geezers to retire and let the young morons take over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving it as Illustrator 3 did the trick. but seriously who tests this stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ganalon wrote:

Saving it as Illustrator 3 did the trick. but seriously who tests this stuff.

No-one at Adobe, that's right. Because the development of Fireworks was stopped last year May. Fireworks is a dead application.

http://blogs.adobe.com/fireworks/2013/05/the-future-of-adobe-fireworks.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW. Fireworks hasn't needed any upgrades for years and years and years. It's great for what it does quickly creating website GUI's when Photoshop and Illustrator are overkill and designed for photos and print work.

But why oh why would you add bugs and call it CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, FW always was a great mockup app for web, and still does a far better job than Photoshop in terms of PNG optimization.

But nowadays support for responsive designs and mobile GUIs has arguably become more important than plain old static web layouts. In this regard FW is severly lagging behind. The old legacy code is not easy to update for this, and I guess Adobe realized this too.

It's just too bad they are attempting to bolt on this type of functionality on top of Photoshop and Illustrator - both not exactly ideal candidates for web work (far from it, in my opinion).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of responsive web/mobile layout design functionality are they trying to bolt on to Photoshop and Illustrator?

Is there a better tool out there for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this problem, also very frustrated. Windows 7 64bit. Uninstalling Quicktime didn't do anything.

I really just want to be able to open the Illustrator document in Fireworks! Has anyone had any luck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried running FW in Adminstrator mode? (right-mouse click on FW.exe icon)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that, no luck. Same response. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I've just finished copying & pasting all of my paths manually (blah), so I don't need this anymore, but if there's anything else you recommend I would be open to trying it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best bet is to try to find an older version of Fireworks. Since there wasn't much development in Fireworks, older versions offer practically the same functionality - well even more, because they can open AI files... I know, this is not really cool, but since Fireworks is no longer being developed, there is not much hope for a fix of this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems it has to do with an incompatibility between Illustrator CC and Fireworks CS6; I converted my file to an Illustrator CS6 file and then imported in FW CS6 and it worked

Opening Illustrator in Fireworks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so disappointed with Adobe. I am experiencing the same problem and I also cannot copy and paste from illustrator to fireworks. Basically, I cannot use the two programs together which is simply pathetic on Adobe's part. Been using Adobe Photoshop since version 1 and they really screwed things up with CC. From Adobe Typekit taking all my file's fonts over to CC control panel constantly opening and getting stuck, to this BS now. AND, no real response for 3 years on this. WTF ADOBE? How can you take our money?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I converted my file to an Illustrator CS6 file and then imported in FW CS6 and it worked"

Worked for me. I guess this is the quality we can expect from Adobe these days where we have to save our files in old versions to get our new software to open it. Yay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sljenk wrote:

"I converted my file to an Illustrator CS6 file and then imported in FW CS6 and it worked"

Worked for me. I guess this is the quality we can expect from Adobe these days where we have to save our files in old versions to get our new software to open it. Yay.

This is expected behaviour, since Fireworks CS6 is not "new" software at all - Adobe stopped developing Fireworks in May 2013 (more than two years ago!), and no longer supports it. It is a dead application, unfortunately. Illustrator is updated on a regular basis, and it makes sense that the old FW is unable to open newer Illustrator files, or that copying from AI to FW stopped working.

What is silly, though, is that Adobe keeps selling Fireworks, while it is a dead application. That makes no sense to me, and is ethically somewhat suspect - at the very least it should be made more apparent to potential new FW users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines