• Global community
    • Language:
      • Deutsch
      • English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

FW CS4 - BIG problems with text-engine!

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2008 Oct 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Just bought FW CS4 (Mac) and everything seems fine but... I'm having many odd problems with the new text-engine. It happens when I open CS4-saved documents or just by flipping through the pages in a document. The text moves position - it looks like the text-frame itself is placed away from the original area! This bothers me BIGTIME!! And when it occurs I can't see the real edge around the "moved" text! This takes much of my precious time to fix...

Is this a common problem on the Mac version?

TIA!

/Henriko

Views

23.2K

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2008 Nov 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, maybe some fancy codec problems..
Anyway try this link:
http://www.designme.sk/junk/cs4/

Mark

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2008 Nov 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a ton once again!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2008 Nov 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't getting any better for me either - I've done new files with CS4 exclusively and when resizing symbols for example, the text will jump - the test is clearly outside the 9-slice box where it should not move. When the design is tight and alignment is critical, having it jump even a pixel is unacceptable. I must also constantly readjust text so that it is where it SHOULD be.

I echo adamkorman's comments - do we know when this is going to get fixed?

Processor 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
4GB 800 MHz DDR2
OS X 10.5.5
FireNOTworks 10.0.0.495

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2008 Nov 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

text engine is really a big issue in Adobe Fireworks CS4, I just hope they have an update for this one. I got a screenshot for that on my blog: http://keithics.com/blog/article/adobe-fireworks-cs4-text-engine-problem/113/

also, I don't like the Anti-alias on the text engine, looks pixelated and ugly.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've managed to reproduce the issue using entirely FW CS4, build 10.0.0.495. Mac OS X, 10.5.5

It started after moving (Shift+cursorkeys) around a few times.

Download here:
http://mt14.quickshareit.com/share/test_fw4zip42278.zip

/Henriko

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi henriko,

There seem to be no files present in the .zip you have posted. Kindly re-post it again.

--Arun

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: ArunKaza
Hi henriko,

There seem to be no files present in the .zip you have posted. Kindly re-post it again.

--Arun


Oops! Try this:
http://yesyes.dk/test_fw4.png

/H

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2008 Nov 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, guys.

Just making sure this thread doesn't die.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2008 Nov 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here also. It's waste of time to have to fix this text aligning issue not to mention really annoying.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2008 Nov 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anything getting done about this? Or am I to just go back to CS3?

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2008 Nov 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no updates from Adobe..

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Gimme a break!

I’m a creative director from a well known German 120+ media agency. We already received 30 copies of the Web Premium Suite. First I had trouble uninstalling the “old” CS3 Apps and CS4 demos. Now I can even write an interesting essay how “sweat” it is to get XP SP3 running on a System that’s again every type of modification. Then I had a two day fun time installing the CS4 Suite (Error licensing for this product stuff). The “Share Screen” feature doesn’t accept “P” in the Password field in Fireworks, acrobat.com doesn’t work in the IE7 and nether with Opera, the Online Help refers to a non existing Page on Adobe.com. But; most of all - I have a lot of trouble with the new text-engine in Fireworks! A lot!

I’ve persuaded for a couple of years my designers in different companies to give Fireworks a try. All the time fighting the senseless “but I wanna stick to Photoshop battle” and was getting a perpetual motion machine praying about the benefits of Fireworks for web design and wire framing.

Finally I convinced the whole company to switch to a comfortable Fireworks workflow. I did a lot of efforts to implement Fireworks as a really strategic Toolset in our company.

And now what? I can handle all the minor bugs in that brand new version. Doubtless I will still be a kind of evangelist for Fireworks but that text engine thing is so annoying! We have a lot of Fortune 50 companies beside our customers. You wouldn’t believe all the web sites, Extranet and Intranets we did for those companies using Fireworks.

I appreciate the concept to adapt the text-engine from Photoshop although I miss the “System AntiAlias” setting… surely it was something like to die childless.
Please Adobe… please make sure to fix a.s.a.p. that described bug in this topic. It’s a major pain in the something!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please note that we are evaluating all possible scenarios where in this issue is encountered and are actively working on them. Let us know of more scenarios where you have encountered it other than the below confirmed cases.

1. Scenario: Selecting/de-selecting the text object and trying to move it on the canvas using keyboard arrow keys.

Problem description: The text within a textbox in Fireworks CS4 on a Mac will move within the textbox and even move out of the textbox if you select and deselect the textbox multiple times while moving the textbox with the keyboard arrow keys each time.

2. Scenario: Trying to align text elements using mouse either against other objects present on the canvas or a guide, using the cues from smart guides.

Problem description: When ever we have grids enabled and we try to align a text element against other objects on the canvas using the cue from smart guides, sometimes the text bounding box shifts away from the text image on releasing the mouse.
It seems this shift in the bounding box is happening when the bounding box tends to snap to the nearest grid pixel and we release the mouse at half pixel less.


We would want such files which were proper when saved from FW, but started showing problems after re-opening them. Send us those files without editing them so that on re-opening them here, issues can be seen and reproduced . Files which have bounding boxes and text shifted will not be of use to verify our fixes here.


--Arun


quote:

Originally posted by: r.piras
Please Adobe… please make sure to fix a.s.a.p. that described bug in this topic. It’s a major pain in the something!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: ArunKazaThe text within a textbox in Fireworks CS4 on a Mac will move within the textbox and even move out of the textbox if you select and deselect the textbox multiple times while moving the textbox with the keyboard arrow keys each time.



Not just Mac, it happens on my Windows Vista machine as well.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: bicycleshorts
Not just Mac, it happens on my Windows Vista machine as well.



What is your build number from the Help > About menu?
I have it on Vista and have not seen this issue, nor on my XP machine.

h

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2008 Dec 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: heathrowe
quote:

Originally posted by: bicycleshorts
Not just Mac, it happens on my Windows Vista machine as well.



What is your build number from the Help > About menu?
I have it on Vista and have not seen this issue, nor on my XP machine.

h

10.0.0.495

It's becoming more and more of an issue. This coupled with the really poor backwards compatibility (I expect to be able to open a CS3 file and not have all the text randomly resized/moved about when i "update" it) are really making me question if the update is worth it.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

r.piras wrote:
> Ok. Gimme a break!
>
> I?m a creative director from a well known German 120+ media agency. We already
> received 30 copies of the Web Premium Suite. First I had trouble uninstalling
> the ?old? CS3 Apps and CS4 demos. Now I can even write an interesting essay how
> ?sweat? it is to get XP SP3 running on a System that?s again every type of
> modification. Then I had a two day fun time installing the CS4 Suite (Error
> licensing for this product stuff). The ?Share Screen? feature doesn?t accept
> ?P? in the Password field in Fireworks, acrobat.com doesn?t work in the IE7 and
> nether with Opera, the Online Help refers to a non existing Page on Adobe.com.
> But; most of all - I have a lot of trouble with the new text-engine in
> Fireworks! A lot!
>
> I?ve persuaded for a couple of years my designers in different companies to
> give Fireworks a try. All the time fighting the senseless ?but I wanna stick to
> Photoshop battle? and was getting a perpetual motion machine praying about the
> benefits of Fireworks for web design and wire framing.
>
> Finally I convinced the whole company to switch to a comfortable Fireworks
> workflow. I did a lot of efforts to implement Fireworks as a really strategic
> Toolset in our company.
>
> And now what? I can handle all the minor bugs in that brand new version.
> Doubtless I will still be a kind of evangelist for Fireworks but that text
> engine thing is so annoying! We have a lot of Fortune 50 companies beside our
> customers. You wouldn?t believe all the web sites, Extranet and Intranets we
> did for those companies using Fireworks.
>
> I appreciate the concept to adapt the text-engine from Photoshop although I
> miss the ?System AntiAlias? setting? surely it was something like to die
> childless.
> Please Adobe? please make sure to fix a.s.a.p. that described bug in this
> topic. It?s a major pain in the something!
>

Please make sure you send this to the bugform/wishlist at Adobe This is
a user to user forum so Adobe is not here in any strength.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I strongly encourage anyone having this or other major issue to report
it via the form. That is the only official way they have of tracking the
issue and proving its impact on the customer.

--
Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
http://www.communityMX.com/
CommunityMX - Free Resources:
http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
---
.:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
Adobe Community Expert
http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
---
.:Author:.
Lynda.com - http://movielibrary.lynda.com/authors/author/?aid=188
Peachpit Press -
http://www.peachpit.com/authors/bio.aspx?a=d98ed798-5ef0-45a8-a70d-4b35fa14c9a4
Layers Magazine - http://www.layersmagazine.com/author/jim-babbage

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that will ring them a bell..
nice post.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I've been corresponding with the Adobe Technical Support for half a month now since I discovered the issue. Right now they're looking at a screen capture showing how I trick FW CS4 to do that monkey move! I hope they're having hard time fixing it...

Cheers,

/Henriko

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

henriko75 wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> I've been corresponding with the Adobe Technical Support for half a month now
> since I discovered the issue. Right now they're looking at a screen capture
> showing how I trick FW CS4 to do that monkey move! I hope they're having hard
> time fixing it...
>
> Cheers,
>
> /Henriko
>
Here's hoping they can sort it out. But thank you for letting everyone
know the issue is not being ignored.

--
Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
http://www.communityMX.com/
CommunityMX - Free Resources:
http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
---
.:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
Adobe Community Expert
http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
---
.:Author:.
Lynda.com - http://movielibrary.lynda.com/authors/author/?aid=188
Peachpit Press -
http://www.peachpit.com/authors/bio.aspx?a=d98ed798-5ef0-45a8-a70d-4b35fa14c9a4
Layers Magazine - http://www.layersmagazine.com/author/jim-babbage

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guest
Dec 04, 2008 Dec 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new variation on the problem that makes me very sad. I sub-selected a text box that was grouped with other text (and some vector objects), moved the text with shift+arrow, and the other text in the group shifted.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2008 Dec 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Mac with Tiger. I have Fireworks CS4 with build 10.0.0.495. I am fine working with the software and building layers and it is fine the first time I save the file. But as soon as I go to save it again or click on any text layers, the software stops responding. I have to do a force quit and then reopen it.

This is really frustrating and time consuming. Does anyone have a solution?

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2008 Dec 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you post the png file here, with which you are seeing this issue? We can have a look and see if it is reproducible at our end also.

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by: dlaitila
I am using a Mac with Tiger. I have Fireworks CS4 with build 10.0.0.495. I am fine working with the software and building layers and it is fine the first time I save the file. But as soon as I go to save it again or click on any text layers, the software stops responding. I have to do a force quit and then reopen it.



Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2008 Dec 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the png file you requested. It is actually a file that I modified after downloading it from LayersTV. All I changed was the text in the navbar and added one picture. I only have this problem on my Mac Power PC. It does not happen on my MacBook. If I try to align text or move text... it stalls and I have to force quit. Also if I save the file after working with text at all, it does save it but then hangs up again.

http://keweenawgraphics.com/FW4SAMPLE.png

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2008 Dec 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting the file. I tried doing the same on 2 of my Mac tiger machines but could not see any issues. Even on saving the file, the application was responsive and did not hang.

--Arun

quote:

Originally posted by: dlaitila
Here is the png file you requested. It is actually a file that I modified after downloading it from LayersTV.
http://keweenawgraphics.com/FW4SAMPLE.png


Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines