• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Fireworks PNG files without Fireworks and convert them to layered PSD

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, my name is Ivan and I am developing a web app www.Photopea.com .

Recently, I added the support for Fireworks PNG files. You can open your Fireworks PNGs in it. You will see all original raster and vector layers. Text layers are editable. There are layer styles, too. You can save it as a PSD file (and work with it in Photoshop).

The conversion is not perfect. But I think it is the only way to open Fireworks PNGs without Adobe Fireworks (e.g. if you are on Linux or iOS). Also, I believe I created the first Fireworks PNG to PSD converter šŸ™‚ you can use Photopea for free, without any sign-in.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that is awesome news!

Unfortunately, the first file I tested threw an error in Photopea. Here is the file:

https://cloud.netlifyusercontent.com/assets/344dbf88-fdf9-42bb-adb4-46f01eedd629/83866992-cfb0-46f0-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your file! I fixed the error, your file should work well now.

Fireworks PNG contains a rasterized version of each layer. So if a feature has no analogy in a PSD format (e.g. an elliptical gradient in a vector shape), Photopea ignores the vector shape and uses the rasterized data to create a simple pixel layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work, it seems to open a few Fireworks PNGs I tested ... Makes me wonder why Adobe left Fireworks users high and dry with no way of opening layered PNGs in illustrator or Photoshop with all the resources they have.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is, that a Fireworks document may contain features, which have no analogy in Photoshop or Illustrator.

E.g. Fireworks has an Elliptical gradient, which does not exist in Photoshop (PS has only a Radial gradient).

Also, Fireworks supports several blend modes, which do not exist in Photoshop or Illustrator now.

So you can never fully convert a Fireworks PNG into a Photoshop or Illustrator file. The partial conversion would be very unpredictable, and it would confuse many people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is where the developers earn their onions,... interpolation between applications/formats is rarely 100% perfect and there are usualy a few concessions/workarounds required, that is not an excuse in my opinion for Adobe selling loyal Fireworks users down the river.

Already we see here an example of a web app created by a private developer with a tiny fraction of the resouces of Adobe and yet he is already supporting layered PNGs and a lot of its properties.

I personally think the excuse you are making for a powerhouse like Adobe is lame....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool. Much appreciated. It allows me to make updates at work instead of running home!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great - thank you so much. Every now and again I need to get at an old Fireworks PNG and have no tools to open it ... Adobe XD, Affinity Designer ... whatever I use, those PNG layers are gone. Found this tool today and it did exactly what I needed - thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is awesome news! I loved using fireworks! it was amazing to organize working files back before more sofisticated prototypeing software was around, when you needed to go through EVERY SATATE! But now I have all these working files I never thought to saveout individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for developing this.  I see this post is 7 months old, are you planning to continue supporting the software?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see progress here .... It still looks like it is being actively developed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It work. Tested with 3 old fireworks files. Converted in psd with layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great ... If you still have access to Fireworks you can you can also use these commands to do batch conversion of Fireworks PNGs to PSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope everyone using this pops open that wallet and buys a license.  I've seen really good software go under because not enough people paid for the premium version... the same people who complained later when it was gone.

Ivan - thank you for keeping this going!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will do my best šŸ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works pretty good! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful! This worked beautifully for an 8 year old fw.png that I HAD to get the layers from. Anyone using this, make sure you try the Save As PSD/PSB option if the PSD by itself doesn't work. This just saved me hours and hours! Good lord! Adobe owes you some serious favors, my friend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOWOW thank you so much Ivan, it works like a charm!
Adobe should hire you.
I cannot wrap my mind around why they would just stop supporting Fireworks and dont give us ANY way to open layer files, that is such a let down...

Anyway, thank the coding gods you are here to cover !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ivan Kuckir woaw, I just came across this thread, and needless to say I just tested your application, opening complex Fireworks files. Most of the information is preserved. It's a great job you've done... and it will help all users who would have to switch to a new graphic tool
Are you still in charge of the development follow-up for Photopea ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly for me. I will recommend your PhotoPea to others. Thank you so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This web app is amazing! It really has saved my bacon, being able to convert FireWorks layered images, to PSD layered images! I will follow this project very closely.

Thanks you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You open about 5,000 Fireworks PNG files in Photopea.com every month! šŸ™‚ I am very glad, that my tool is so useful to you.

I am still improving it, to make the conversion to a PSD even more precise. I improved the text formatting last week (justification, leading, underlined text, italics  ...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, @Ivan Kuckir!

šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make 'states' show in photopea? I have so many files where I saved different variations of designs as 'states' instead of pages. Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so..... What you can do in Fireworks is export states to files so have an individual image for each state.

states_to_files.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines