Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fireworks stopped working after upgrading to Mac OS 10.15 Catalina

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I am a proud Fireworks user and have been for years. 

Yesterday my Mac asked me to upgrade to the new 10.15 Catalina. 

But eversince I cannot open Adobe Fireworks anymore. It even has a stop sign over its icon. 

I expect it has something to do with the fact that Catalina does not support 32bit apps anymore. 

Which I did not realise before upgrading. 

Is there any workaround?

Otherwise I won't be able to alter all my Fireworks PNG files anymore...

Any help is appreciated!

Kind regards,

Tom 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fireworks won't work on Catalina as its 32 bit - Adobe stopped updating/supporting Fireworks a long time ago (a terrible decision in my humble opinion), so there won't be a 64 bit version (I'd be very surprised anyway). Options are limited; rollback to Mojave, set up a dual boot or switch to Windows.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Paul-M would you know if a repurchase of a licence would be required if I were to move to windows? Does FW CS6 run on 64 bit windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repurchase is not available. Most CS licenses could NOT be moved between platform. If you DO manage to run it on Windows you may face worsening issues with the great age of your software, but 32-bit apps are fine in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Fireworks CS6 works perfectly for me on Windows 10 64 bit - I don't think the license for Fireworks will be crioss-platform see here an article: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/exchange-product-language-os.html but as Adobe have pretty much abandoned Fireworks and act like it doesn't exist anymore you probably wouldn't get any help from Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have access to a PC and a Fireworks CS6 installer - why don't you test your serial to see if it works on Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried it, it does not accept the Mac licence on the PC. I rolled back to Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It runs beautifully on my Win 10 64bit setup. I haven't upgraded to Catalina on my older MBP, so Fireworks hasn't had any issues on it for me [yet]. I still use Fireworks almost daily.
Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody knows if it works running Parallels (with Win 10) on Catalina?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I updated to Mojave, the same thing happened and all I had to do (after a LONG time of troubleshooting) was to reinstall Adobe Application Manager.  Now, I can't even seem to do that.  I wouldn't mind looking for a new program, as I'm sick to death of dealing with this with every update, but I have 1000s of layered PNG files that ONLY fireworks open.  Totally STRESSING!!!  😞  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trust me, I tried my sabatical away from Fireworks. And now find myself back here. Tried Affinity Designer and its does not have basic things like Free Transform. I have settled on using Fireworks with Adobe XD, which is turning into a fairly productive workflow to deliver prototypes and design specs. Perhaps one day Affinity will be there. I have tried Adobe Illistrator and not having photo tools built is is a major stumbling block to my workflow. I mean, if you just produce artwork in the flat design style it works, but when you want to do more realistic design it falls flat. I am still hoping that in the next few years a true replacement will be found. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would not be so bad if we didn't have hundreds of .fw ong files that can't be edited. The least Adobe should have done was create an extension for Photoshop so that we can edit them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great idear!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the part that makes me furious. This was a professional design tool, and a CRITICAL one for over a decade for many of us, with proprietary editable layer files, and now Adobe pretends like it never existed and no plans to support .fw layers in any other software they make. It's malpractice. It's why I've completely broken my Adobe video editing habits, why Dreamweaver now just gathers dust. I KNOW Adobe will abandon critical tools and leave their subscribers hanging again in the future. </rant>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I SO agree with this! I tried Affinity too, Adobe XD and a bunch of things and I have YEARS of work in layered PNGs that I can't open.  So annoying.  I will NEVER buy Creative Cloud or ANY other Adobe product simply because this is extremely rude to the professional design community.  My 2 cents.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there... I have the same issue.  All those FW pngs files that can never be in layers again.  😞  During this COVID time, I have been learning photoshop but it still won't solve the issue of the old PNG files.  I'm hanging on to the Mojavie as long as I can. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best solution available is a batch FW PNG TO PSD command for Fireworks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's about as useful as saying, "the best way to bake brownies is in the kitchen!"

A few more details would be helpful.

LIke, where would someone find information about this command? 

Is there a page that explains it? If so, what's the URL?

If not, then maybe a little more information here -- do you simply open a terminal window and enter FW PNG TO PSD? (didn't work)

Are you in the folder with the photos?  (nope, that didn't work)

Or the Fireworks application folder?  (couldn't get there).

Please provide some more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try searching the forums, and remember this is a user to user form. If you're angry with Adobe, take it up wth them. This platform is for users to help each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fireworks is the ONLY reason why I pay for CC. You can't create design and icons that fast in photoshop and illustrator. Fireworks always saved me a lot of time! Bring it back already adobe 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need an older OS to still run it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you have FW installed with Creatibe Cloud License? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you have FW installed with Creatibe Cloud License? 

By @uxgrrl

First of all, as the original subject is about MacOS, are you a Mac user too, or are you a Windows user... otherwise, on this forum, there are several threads that address and detail this subject. As I don't have them to hand at the moment, I invite you to take a closer look at this article, https://www.puce-et-media.com/fireworks-chaud-devant/, with the help of google translate if necessary, where I've put together a whole series of useful links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://www.photopea.com/

I now use that to open and edit any legacy .fw.png files. You then save as a .PSD and it saves all the layers..

I hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines