• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is Adobe Fireworks?

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2013 Oct 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason I pay for my creative cloud license is for Adobe Fireworks. Like me, other UX professionals use Fireworks to design Wireframes, Mockups, Prototypes using Fireworks. It seems like, Adobe is totally disconnected with the customer, and they dont really get whats the purpose of Fireworks!!! This is terrible adobe, Fireworks is the best tool for Web and Interface design, and it does it fast and quick!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

As of May 2013, Adobe is no longer actively developing Fireworks. However, you can still install a previous version from within the Creative Cloud desktop app by checking "Show Older Apps" under Preferences > Apps.

For a detailed guide, please see this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/why-has-adobe-stopped-developing-my-app-.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me just say for the record that the day Fireworks shits the bed and I can't get it working is the day I will have no further use for Adobe. I will call my credit card issuer, cancel the card, and then cancel my Adobe subscription.

I'm not even asking that Adobe add on any features to Fireworks or change it in any way other than making it compatible with new Windows builds so I don't have to spend hours farting around with it every time MS rams an "upgrade" down my throat.

I have alternatives for everything else in the CS package other than Fireworks. The day I no longer have that and have to switch to some other software to work with decades of stuff I have that was done with Fireworks, there will be no further use in my maintaining my subscription.

I don't think I'm the only Adobe customer who feels this way.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said Geek091. Your take on Adobe dumping FW is the same as mine. There is NO other alternative for Vector/Bitmap Editing and for accessing legacy .fw.png files. Adobe need to start listening to people using their software all we'll all drift off somewhere else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By way of update, I finally got tired enough of FW's randomly crashing on Win10 that I canceled my CC subscription. Actually, I just let it expire because it was due for renewal anyway, so there was no early-cancellation drama. Nonetheless, uninstalling FW felt like pulling the plug on an old friend's life-support.

There was no way, however, that I was going to fork over another USD $600.00 for another year of Adobe doing absolutely NOTHING to maintain what was, for me, my main reason for keeping the subscription. Adobe hasn't touched FW since 2012, so I've already paid them roughly USD $3,600.00 to do absolutely NOTHING for the past six years. I know mafiosi who would envy that arrangement.

I'd spent the last month or so of my subscription exporting the PNGs that I thought I might someday need to modify. I exported them to multiple formats and layers so I can re-create them if I need to using other software. It will still be a chore, but it will be doable. I also resurrected an old laptop with a licensed FW 8 installed on it that can at least open most of the PNGs and export the layers, if need be. Many of them were created with FW 8, anyway, so it's a fallback option.

By way of replacement software, I've chosen Affinity Photo and Affinity Design. Neither will open Adobe's multi-layered PNGs except in flattened form; but other than that, they're extraordinary and amazingly affordable pieces of software that grow on me more and more every day I use them. Basically, the combination of Affinity Designer / Affinity Photo replaces many of the functions of Fireworks, Photoshop, and Illustrator. They're not necessarily drop-in replacements for people who use those programs full-time, but they're extremely competent alternatives for people like me who do graphics editing as a small part of some bigger creative endeavor (in my case, building Web sites).

Evaluated on their own without comparison to other software, Affinity Photo and Affinity Design are both splendid applications in their own rights (especially considering how inexpensive they are). They also offer free trials and are sold outright with perpetual licenses. If you're pondering switching graphics software, I think you'd be silly not to give them a try. There's literally nothing to lose.

My advice, which I followed myself, is to start exporting your FW PNGs to other formats, and start using something other than FW for new work if you haven't already. Adobe's made it quite clear that they have no interest in maintaining FW even in terms of platform compatibility. It's already crashy on Win10, and someday it will stop working altogether. I suggest that people start preparing for that day now by exporting their projects and investigating new software to use for new products.

I loved FW for many years. I consider it the best thing that Macromedia ever built, and losing it feels like losing an old friend. But Adobe has made it quite clear that they intend to let Fireworks die a slow, agonizing death. As much as I loved it, using Fireworks for new projects would be foolhardy.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've just reïnstalled it using the method above. I love to work with fireworks, it is so much faster and simpler that the other programs. I really don't understand why Adobe wants to kill it. I think many people would like to keep on using it, this is not customerfriendly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You think they care about customers, it's the board members that they care about. All products now go to the cloud.  Fireworks is just to simple and easy to use and will not make  them a ton of money.   But I am still looking for a license for Fireworks CS6 as I have CS 4 but would  like to get the last version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fireworks getting phased out has been announced at the Adobe MAX Conference in 2013. The reason is its increasing overlap in functionality with other products such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Edge.

As CS6 is no longer sold by Adobe, you have no choice but to rely on online marketplaces. However, be aware of scammers when buying used software from non-retailers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mauricep27921461  wrote

Fireworks getting phased out has been announced at the Adobe MAX Conference in 2013. The reason is its increasing overlap in functionality with other products such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Edge.

As CS6 is no longer sold by Adobe, you have no choice but to rely on online marketplaces. However, be aware of scammers when buying used software from non-retailers.

CS6 versions including Fireworks can still be downloaded via the Creative Cloud App > Preferences > show older apps. If Fireworks is SO DEAD why do Adobe not completely remove it? Ask yourself that?....

Also Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Edge are not a valid replacement for Adobe Fireworks and Adobe XD is just a gimmick that offers limited features. People creating UI/Web/Mobile mock ups do NOT want to be making round trips between multiple Adobe programs when one can do it very well indeed i.e. Fireworks. There is a reason why so many Mac users have been switching to Sketch. Adobe did not take the time to understand or ask people why they like and use Fireworks. Instead they seem to be obsessed with protecting their flagship product Photoshop or trying to persuade people to use 2-3 programs when one can do the job. Is it a coincidence the Creative Cloud subscriptions are for 1 app or the entire collection?

I'd also like to point out that Fireworks is extremely extensible and there are a plethora of extensions still out there in the public domain that add things like SVG support, creating grids of elements etc....

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't have put it better Fireworks remains my favourite creative tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has come close to Fireworks and the compression options and

batch processing. I would love for Adobe to continue it.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to delete this but cannot, Okay they care but please bring back  Fireworks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm taking delivery of a new iMac this afternoon and I just found out that 32 bit software like my old Adobe Suite 5.1 won't run at all on new Apple hardware and operating systems.

I owned Dreamweaver and Fireworks when they were still Macromedia programs.   I've been an Adobe customer since Photoshop 3.0 and I've spent many thousands of dollars upgrading every couple of years.  But .... I absolutely refuse to rent software from Adobe so today is the last day I'll have any Adobe software on my computer with the possible exception of Acrobat Reader.  

Adobe used to be a great company but their only motivation these days is pure greed.  They've left the door wide open for new software developers to take away more and more of their market share.  I've switched all of my photo processing to On1 Photo RAW which is a great program that I don't have to rent!  Adobe had better wake up before it's too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Parallels Desktop has been suggested in a other thread as a solution if you want to run Fireworks on Catalina. I'm a PC user so not tried ot myself ....

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fireworks is needed all over the place for quick prototyping. Give us this back. Wy not give it to the world, open source. If you release it for free, what have you got to loose? You will gain respect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great suggestion,
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fireworks remains available if you have a Creative Cloud subscription as does Photoshop CS6 . Because a product is no longer in development does not mean it has no commercial value, in fact Fireworks is still better than Photoshop for certain things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked an Adobe Support assistant for a link to it and never got any. I have a CC subscription. I just don't know why Adobe don't bring it back or create something with the same capabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

you can download it from here, but will need a serial to use it.

Download Adobe CS6 Trials: Direct Links (no Assistant or Manager) | ProDesignTools

If you try this link read the page carefully as a cookie needs to be set for server access, otherwise the Adobe server won't let you in.

Depending on your CC subscription you might have access to it under the 'Additional Apps' section of the Desktop Application. I have access to the entire suite of CC programs and so am not entirely sure that everyone will have access to Fireworks with say the Photographic Plan, but you can but look. If you do have access it doesn't require a serial.

fireworks.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why do you have to subscribe to the entire package if you only want one product?  Serious rip off I'll figure out other products. And I have seen 3rd party sites that sell it with a serial number I guess that is what I will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad there was a link in here so I could get FW back.

I guess its time to start looking elsewhere for software.  With web going online CMS more and more I have little use for Dreamweaver and Fireworks was my most used tool. If they are not going to support it then its time to move on.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty confident that Fireworks CS6 is indeed gone for good now (at least for those wishing to download/install a new copy).  Most of the other recent posts in this forum (I've reviewed at least half, so far) are also asking where it went or how to download it. 

Background:

Back in January 2017, I got a new license for Creative Cloud, and successfully downloaded Fireworks CS6 to my home PC (Win 7) via the Creative Cloud Windows application.

I recently started a new day job, got a separate new subscription to CC, and just today (July 25) tried to download Fireworks to my office Mac. I was unable to find it via the Creative Cloud application, then searched on Adobe.com and across the web for information. While I wan't able to find anything (official or otherwise) that Adobe finally stopped making it available, it appears that's now the case. The web page with CS6 direct-download links to Adobe pages that Terri Stevens shared above didn't work for me either (and yes, I was logged into my browser with my Adobe ID).

I guess that one client of mine is screwed within the next few months, as their old site (built back in 2000-2001 with Macromedia DW/FW!) STILL uses the original design. (It does somehow still meet their business needs and expectations, believe it or not.) Maybe even sooner if they (somehow) disable my CS6 version at home. Migration plan, stat!

I can share one relatively good-news tidbit. Last Sunday at home, I was able to use Fireworks CS6 on my home computer (with CC). Fingers crossed they don't kill that before I migrate that one client site of mine. I own(ed?) a copy of Creative Suite CS3 at home, but that's usable only on computers through Windows Vista, and my last Vista machine died back in January. 

Dear Adobe, I'm not sure whether you monitor the forums here, but if you do see this, and you have stopped people from being able to download/install fresh copies of Fireworks CS6, PLEASE CONFIRM THAT, and UPDATE THE INFORMATION HERE AND ACROSS YOUR PUBLIC SITE...  and please don't kill currently-installed versions, at least for a little while. Personally, I'd be screwed if I'm not able to continue to use Fireworks until my home CC subscription expires. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

the link I gave at least still works for me

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6-direct-download-links.html

I tried the PC links and the Mac links and all give a download. Are you sure you are following the instructions at Prodesign Tool? To get downloads to work you need to have a cookie set by clicking on a link. The link is on the page I have given you. I've highlighted it below.You must use that link or a server access denied error will occur. Clicking the link opens a brand new window but you do nothing there as the cookie is set , all you do is switch back to the download window which will still be open and click on your Fireworks download. Maybe your browser is set not to allow cookies?

pdt.png

fireworks.png

As you can see it gives a download at least on 26th July, 2017

fireworks2.png

I'm using the Windows 10 Edge browser but I'm sure it will work with others

Terri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terry, I just gave those instructions another try with Safari on my office Mac -- IT WORKED! I NOW HAVE FIREWORKS CS6 on my Mac at work! Thanks a million for your prompt response yesterday. My only guess about it failing yesterday was due to me using Chrome (with addons, etc). At any rate, I'm all set now. Fireworks is running as expected. You're a lifesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it is now is working for you.

Terri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fireworks is the best app. I am on a Mac and it has been working ok.. until I loaded Mac OS 10.13 beta. Now no more Fireworks. Most everything works, except the color panel does not function at all. Anyone happen to know why the color panel is not working or a work around to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fireworks is one of the best apps, and have been using it since Macromedia days, it is an exceptional comping tool, and for production.

Very powerful user friendly. It is a complete mind-f*rk that they are canning it, and not releasing it to open source.

As of Sept 2017, If you are using Adobe Creative Cloud, like i am (I reinstalled my MacBook Pro with High Sierra OS X 10.13) and Adobe Fireworks CS6 didn't show up in the apps list !!  

However after some delving you can still download and access it by doing the following from the Creative Cloud installer dialogue box from the Finder Menu:

finder-menu.png

adobe-fireworks-cs6-september-2017.png

I freaked out that I couldn't download it again!

Anyhow - hope this helps,  and you guys find this a suitable solution as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines