• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash 10.2 Issue - YouTube Black Screen of Death!!

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer runs Windows 7, 64 bit OS, and FireFox.

The problem is that whenever I go to YouTube and try to watch a video, there is just a black screen where the video should be playing. Video and audio do not work.

Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 17, 2011 Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spin, ok on the FF issue, thanks. He may be right, I'm not sure on that yet. My understanding is if the StageVideo and the hardware acceleration is ON, then 10.2 should work correctly. It is not whether it's IE or FF and perhaps other browsers. This is the issue that the Flash Player Team is working on with Youtube. Trying to see why it isn't working as it should. Notwithstanding, the video card driver needs updated in many cases either way. When you talk videos, you're talking graphics also.

FF or IE may both be working, but most of the time hardware acceleration is being turned OFF to do that. That's only because of the new Technology in this 10.2 and other things.

I checked Youtube earlier and now instead of a black screen, I saw the video with just a black right margin. So they definitely are working on it. I just hope users understand the issue and don't think something is wrong with their systems and try to "fix" it; other than updating the driver and turning h.a. off for now until the real fix is released.

Thanks for the support:-)

As you and others can see, there are many third party issues that can effect how Flash Player is working or not. Settings and addons in the browsers are the biggest offenders that causes conflicts.

Oh, I know this issue will be fixed, I have no doubt whatsoever:-) None. Too much at stake, think bottom line!!

Thanks for all you are doing also.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb, I found the following info on the You Tube site. Looks like a sequence of downloading; closing; and installing.  I haven't tried this one yet but thought I would pass it on.  The link follows:

http;//www.google.com/support/youtube/

Go to Recommended articles and then to Flash

Meanwhile, since I make a living with special proprietary software system that uses Flash, I decided to install the latest Flash player again, but I don't watch You Tube.  Flash works everywhere except You Tube.

Keep up the good fight.

newsguy64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi newsguy64, I'm glad you posted that. As you can imagine, I am either on the Forum or checking my email when I can. Well I did manage to get over to the IE 9 MS site:-) And maybe a couple of Adobe's today.

I have an old Dell XP/SP3/IE6 that is my work PC with FP 10.2 and h.a. is ON. Haven't had any issue with Youtube and I demand to know why!!!  I must be doing something wrong, ha-ha. I feel sort of left out:-), not really.

Proprietary Software, huh? Interesting. That is out of my field, since code makes my eyes glaze over:-) Nice that you can do that

Maybe later tonight, I'll check that site out and see what it's about. I'm not one to experiment at all, either with my system or anyone else's. One can get in too much trouble that way. I research until I know what the outcome is going to be, safer that way.

Thanks for the info. As soon as I can, I plan on pulling the helpful posts out of this thread, make a folder entitled "The Youtube Thread".

eidnolb

P.S. The Forum Ghost took my message, but I've learned. I copy and paste the original to notepad first, LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey eidnolb,

The proprietary software is not what I sell but rather what I use to help sell what I sell. wow, that's a mouthful.  When I explored Google and You Tube, it seemed logical they would have more urgency in solving this problem because it affects their business in a direct way.  I haven't had time to screw around with the flash challenge today.  Although, I did go to one of the sites with a video showing how to patch the problem, and then without thinking I started the video, (youtube of course), and watched as the video started buffering then freeze and then crash my system with the total black screen. lol

It sorta reminded me of the Men In Black movie where they kept shooting the alien's head off and he kept regrowing his head. I keep punching youtube videos and watch my computer crash. What fun! haha

Anyway, I have to dash out for a few minutes and will take another look at the flash problem over the weekend.

Have a good evening,

newsguy64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2011 Mar 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning eidnolb,

Guess what? I found and fixed the problem this morning.  I ran Safari browser and not IE8.  I went straight to YouTube. Tried to run video, Vidoe said I had to run updated Flash player and for me to download. Downloaded Flash for Safari which has .33 on the end of the build instead of .32  I could not install Flash because the Safari (Apple) installer said I had a conflict with Safari being opened. (It was not open but "oh well"). So I used IE8 to download the Flash for Safari. I installed and then went back to Safari and then to You Tube.  IT WORKS!!!! The video and the Safari browser are faster loading and work perfectly.  The problem appears to be with Flash and IE8.

I screen shot every step of my process to document the issues that arose along the way. At this point I am going to use Safari going forward.

I just wanted to share my discovery with you and everyone this morning.

SOLUTION: Download the Flash version for SAFARI and run it on WIN XP Pro.  It doesn't answer why IE8 and Flash don't work but that is not my problem at this point.

Have a good day,

newsguy64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi newsguy64,

I think it's still morning where I am(barely:-) Wow, that's great and interesting as well!! I think the .33 may be peculiar to Safari, not sure on that since I need to check my info. 

Yes, all browser windows need closed for the Uninstaller/Installer to run "cleanly". Unless you had closed all windows, then that aspect I don't understand.

That was a good idea to have the screenshots too.

I wish we still had the attachment feature on the Forum, it would make it much easier. However I think that camera icon above is what is used now. I've never used it but you could check it out.

This information that you've posted is helpful. Those that are investigating this issue will be able to possibly find out more about what differences are happening with the various browsers.

When I think about computers, I'm always amazed that they do what they do. I love all of the Tech Biggies, more power to them.

Thanks for posting:-)

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

Yes, all windows were closed but a glich in the hitch somewhere caused the popup to keep thinking Safari was open when it absolutely was closed.  Ironically, I used IE8 to download and load the Flash Update for my Safari browser. LOL   I then opened Safari and went straight to the lion's mouth, You Tube, and clicked on "play". Not only did it load and play perfectly, even the picture quality looked better,

Currently I am using IE8 for this posting but am using Safari on my other monitor for web browsing and video playing.  I have started transferring key websites and favorites to Safari for future use.  I probably will be buying an Apple computer and iPad in the future too.  I think back to my first computer which was an Apple IIe I purchased in 1980.  I really liked it but had to switch to Windows OS for business purposes in 1983.  I think it is time for me to go back to my first and most fun computer company, "Apple".

I will look at Chris Campbell's posting again and see how to send my screen shots documenting each and every step along the way so Adobe can see what happened to me.  By the way, the problem with IE8 and Flash with my system was more serious than simply lacking video or audio.  When I would click play on a YouTube video, it would freeze my screen and then the entire screen would go black with no way to for me to recover.  I would have to do a hard shutdown and reboot to get the system back up.  Safari didn't even blink.  I never cared for IE but preferred Netscape from 1995 until I was forced to switch to IE for business purposes.  However, today I can use Safari for 90% of my business needs and only use IE when required.

Talk again soon,

newsguy64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi newsguy64,

Sounds as if Safari is working well. I may try to Install Safari when I have some time. I've looked at the mac mini and it's impressive but I'd want to look at it at the Store. I don't care for laptops(small keyboards) so that may be a factor.

The line of Apple Macs are impressive. My issue would be having the time to "learn" another language:-)

I don't know what to think of the IE8 issue.

You should start a thread on that. I don't like to add to mkp0203's email notifications too much longer.

Just think about it.

I'm knee deep with users having Virus issues and no Flash Player. What a mess that is. I'd like to find the Anti-Virus program that is setting the Kill-bits in the Windows Registry. I can tell you they would not want to hear from me. I know the Viruses do it, but a legit AV? Another topic:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply eidnolb,

Somebody started another topic on the Forum this morning who could not get Chrome or Firefox to work with Win XP.  He had downloaded the wrong Flash update for IE8 instead of the alternative update choice.  He is running Win XP etc. I sent him my experience concerning the Flash Update for alternative browsers.  I don't know if he has done the correct Flash download or not but I know it works.  I decided to run my system with the Chrome browser to see how it worked with videos.  Chrome worked perfectly even though it is not listed on Flash alternative browser choices. 

Anyway, I'm a happy camper now.

newsguy64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I saw that, thanks for the help. The only thing is that when one is Installing a different version of Flash Player for IE you do need to use the Uninstaller first. With FP, it's always out with the old and in with the new. After each update, all links are updated also:-) Same applies with all browser FP updates as well, except Chrome.

The reason no Chrome option was listed is because it has FP embedded, so no need to Install it. Chrome updates itself also.

You are learning all the tricks of the trade; well not all:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

I didn't see your thread yet??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey eidnolb,

Thanks for the clarification.  This is the first time I have effectively used a forum.  Usually I waste lots of time trying to figure out a problem, or never figure it out and just let it go, or call my computer guy.  This time I decided to take the bull by the horn.

I might start a thread but the problem is I don't make my paycheck with this stuff and it pulls me away from doing what I must do to pay the light bill. lol

Got to go,

newsguy64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey eidnolb,

I wanted to let you know that I have both Flash updates loaded.  The one for IE is called Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX.  The one for Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc is called Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin.

I have to have ActiveX for the proprietary software I run.  The 10 Plugin version runs most everything else including You Tube videos etc.

Thanks,

newsguy64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Well it seems like you have all browsers? I have enough to do without more browsers. Tried FF, but didnt' like it.

You said: I have to have ActiveX for the proprietary software I run.

Actually, you need IE for the software you run. That ActiveX is Microsoft Technology, you know Proprietary? LOL So if one wants to have Flash Player Installed on IE, MS calls the shots:-) It's their way or the highway, Ha-Ha

All other browsers use the plugin.

Ok, I'm back the threads!

See ya,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!

as mentioned another person here, I tried turning off hardware acceleration, reinstalling flash player, using a flash player cleaner executable, using different browsers (IE, Chrome, FF), disabling Windows Firewall, disabling Windows Defender, disabling Avast, scanning for malware, cleaning the registry and browser caches/cookies, restarting the computer (about 10 times now), trying older verisons of flash, NOTHING HAPPEND!!

THE SOLUTION:

In the internet explorer go to: Tools -> Internet Options -> Advenced -> Reset Internet Explorer Settings.

Yes, clicking that button i could get rid of that damn black screen.

now, i can watch videos in youtube normaly.

Im posting it, because i felt like you and I wasted a lot of hours  trying differents recommendation and those never worked..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if there is a way to do this through Firefox like is there a similiar option?

adrianodv wrote:

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!

as mentioned another person here, I tried turning off hardware acceleration, reinstalling flash player, using a flash player cleaner executable, using different browsers (IE, Chrome, FF), disabling Windows Firewall, disabling Windows Defender, disabling Avast, scanning for malware, cleaning the registry and browser caches/cookies, restarting the computer (about 10 times now), trying older verisons of flash, NOTHING HAPPEND!!

THE SOLUTION:

In the internet explorer go to: Tools -> Internet Options -> Advenced -> Reset Internet Explorer Settings.

Im posting it, because i felt like you and I wasted a lot of hours  trying differents recommendation and those never worked..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying doing it: tools -> options -> advanced -> Network -> clean now (the cache) and tell me....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adrianodv wrote:

Trying doing it: tools -> options -> advanced -> Network -> clean now (the cache) and tell me....

This might have actually worked.. at least for now thank you!

So far this step.. clearing cache and history and cookies, and ussing https:// all worked as temporary solutions.. hopefully this time perm.

THANKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just wondering if a person could get a copy of the Default Reset IE Settings and then change only those elements that are checked different from my current IE settings? This way I could avoid wiping out some current settings that are going to require some time to redo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I clicked the wrong email notification. But since I'm here. I certainly would check on the  Microsoft about resetting IE to default. I've read all that it does and I would never do it due to what I've read. I know the MVP Techs suggest it, but they need to advise the users what happens. Some settings that are changed cannot be reversed. So do a search on it first.

I've yet to see anyone that has done that come back and say, hey that worked:-)

Just a FYI.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks eidnolb,

That's why I questioned the reset.  I learned my lesson many years ago about ready-shoot-aim.  Just a side question: Since I have WIN 10.2.152.32 version already loaded it is probably not possible to uninstall this version and then install a previous version. This is based on what some of the other folks have been saying on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi newsguy64, Glad you took my advice. I researched IE6/IE7/IE8 very thoroughly about Setting them to Default so if we had an attachment feature, I'd be glad to send them. I've very defensive when I see a one "fix" that causes issues the users aren't even aware of. I just made a comment to someone advising another user to go to Internet Options in the Control Panel and do some screwy thing. Don't think they'll be back:-)

Now to your question, yes you can Uninstall whatever current version you have and Install the previous version. If that was working for you, I think it would be something to do until this issue is resolved.

There is a procedure to follow, and the version must be extracted from the Archived Site. Which if you want to revert to 10.2.152.26 shouldn't be that large, as say the 10.1 versions.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will let you know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!

THE SOLUTION:

This actually works.

I thought if that works, then it might be a toolbar like google interfering with it, but apparently not and this does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using FireFox, there's a way to replace youtube's player for something else:

- Step 1: Install the 'GreaseMonkey' extension;
- Step 2: Install the 'GreaseFire' extension;
- Step 3: With those two extensions installed, go to youtube;
- Step 4: Left-click on the GreaseMonkey icon (its on the bottom-right of the FireFox window);
- Step 5: Click on the first option (nnn scripts available);
- Step 6: Look for 'Youtube alternative player(...)';
- Step 7: Click on 'install Youtube alternative player(...)';
- Step 8: Reload the page.

This worked okay for me.

Another alternative is to play around with the URL:
- Say your URL is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EguSCAzoBcE&feature=watch_response
- Look between ?v= and &: The video's id is EguSCAzoBcE;
- Change the URL to http://www.youtube.com/v/xxxxx, where xxxxx is your video ID (in the aforementioned example, the result would be http://www.youtube.com/v/EguSCAzoBcE);
- Profit. =P

This is more cumbersome, but also worked okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines