Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chrome FP Pepper 15: Laggy "Waiting for GPU"

Advocate ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

not sure if these are developer forums. Anyway, my game is having a constant frame rate of 24 in Chrome Flash Player Pepper versus 30 in all other browsers with the latest version 15. Scout reveals that this is caused by the "waiting for GPU" task. The game is using Away3D to render graphics. Falling back to FP 14 it works fine.

On a sidenote: In FP15, mousewheel does not seem to work, no issues in FP14 as well.

Is this a known issue? When can we expect a fix?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved your post to the Beta forums.  This is where most of the developers hang out.  It's definitely easier to cut through the noise here anyway, and we'd encourage you to test with our betas, so welcome!

I'm not aware of a new mousewheel bug (or a feature that would have touched mouse input in recent releases).  This is the first I've heard about it.  If you can either point me to an example that demonstrates the problem, or file a bug at http://bugbase.adobe.com and give me the bug number, I'll get someone to investigate.

For the performance issue in Chrome, I'm guessing that it's always been that way.  Again, if you can give us an example, we can take a look and file a bug with Google if necessary.  If you don't want to post links here, you're more than welcome to PM me and I'll give you my direct contact information.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Talking about my game here: https://apps.facebook.com/skatpalast/ (Make sure to play with high quality when asked to enable 3D mode)

The framerate drops dramatically in the 3D rendering on my Notebook due to the "Waiting for GPU" task and only in Flash Player Pepper 15 in Chrome, 14 will work fine. I also have user reports about this (that's how I got aware of the issue in the first place). I am currently on my desktop PC and there are no issues here, but it is quite a powerful machine.

Mousewheel will not work in FP Pepper 15 in Chrome at all. It does work with Flash Player 14. I am using the mousewheel trap (https://code.google.com/p/mousewheeltrap/) to prevent scrolling of the outside container, so probably it is related to that. Try to use the mousewheel in the lobby to scroll the list of games. Curiously, it works when switching to fullscreen.

Cheers,

Ruben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran through our mousewheel tests and they're working for me on MacOS 10.9.5 and Win7 x64 SP1 with Chrome 38 and Flash Player 15.0.0.189.  It also works on the one site I could find that referenced it's use: https://www.mathdisk.com/pub/safi/worksheets/Spherical_Coordinates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running a current version of Scout?  I spent some time profiling your app, but I'm not seeing "waiting for GPU".  Are you running a copy with -advanced-telemetry enabled?  If so, would it be possible to get a link to that version?  You can send me a PM if you don't want to post it publicly.  Just click on my name.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a copy of my Scout session.  My framerate with Chrome 38 and Flash Player 15.0.0.189 is 29.97fps, and I'm not seeing the same kinds of hotspots that you're seeing.

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeromie,

thanks for looking into this. Do you have a notebook with VRAM to test with? This is where I see problems in Flash 15. On my desktop it is working fine as well.

Did you try out to scroll with the mousewheel in my game? Skat-Palast on Facebook | Facebook Scroll the game list in the lobby, with Flash 15 PPAPI it only works when i switch to fullscreen (button to switch is on top).

I am currently working on the next version, so I can not upload an advanced telemetry build right now, maybe sometime next week. I am attaching 2 scout sessions. Both recorded in Chrome, both using Flash 15.0.0.189, once with PPAPI and once with NPAPI, you can see that the waiting for GPU only appears in PPAPI, and, actually surprised by that, AS execution is much slower in general:

http://www.evil-software.com/chrome-flash-PPAPI-15-0-0-189.flm

http://www.evil-software.com/chrome-flash-NPAPI-15-0-0-189.flm

Hint for testing: You can trigger ingame without joining a game by clicking Help->Start Tutorial.

Thanks,

Ruben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines