• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Firefox 10.3.181.26 problem

Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current version of flash (10.3.181.26) is not working for me in Firefox 5.0; it works in other browsers, however (IE8, K-Meleon 1.5.4). I've done all the checking I can think of - the plugin is enabled, Java Scripts are enabled, about:plugins recognizes that it is installed - but no flash objects appear. (On the software/flash/about page there is no box showing what version I have installed nor does the spinning Flash logo do its thing.) I did have FlashBlock installed but I first disabled it and then uninstalled it; no change in behavior. I downloaded the offline flash installer a second time and reinstalled; still no change.

The contents of C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash are as follows: Flash10t.ocx, FlashUtil10t_ActiveX.exe, FlashUtil10t_Plugin.exe, FlashUtil10t_ActiveX.dll, NPSWF32.dll, FlashInstall.log, install.log, flashplayer.xpt. The properties box for NPSWF32.dll shows 10.3.181.26 (Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181).

So now what? This is kind of making me nuts as Firefox is my browser of choice. I'm on XP Home SP3.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the information and what you have already checked. In your plugins, is the "Shockwave Flash" plugin there and Enabled? Is it FP version 10.3.181.26? I know you said it's Enabled but I want to be sure we are speaking of that one, since it's the Control for FP with the non-IE browsers.

Your Flash Player files for IE & FF are all correct.

I know that FF 5.0 just came out of beta so that may or may not be a factor. Haven't seen too much feedback yet on whether it is causing an issue.

I would take a look at any extensions that you may have for FF as it seems some do conflict. Also what Anti-Virus/Spyware program do you have Installed? Are any addons/plugins/extensions from that in FF?

The "FlashBlock" you mentioned, is that the exact name of the application?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the long loud silence but the problem is solved...and I've got to tell you it was a painful process of elimination. It turned out to be a chunk of code I'd added to the userContent.css file in the chrome folder which was never a problem in the past but apparently is now:

object, embed

(I confess: I'm not too fond of advertisements.) Apparently the current version of flash is a little more sensitive to this sort of thing than previous versions since I've been living with that userContent entry since Firefox 3.something.

Btw, Flashblock is a Firefox extension, not an app.

Thanks for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Well, I'm certainly glad you found out what the problem was. I'll confess also, that before I would have ever found that issue, you would have been to Google/Microsoft/Mozilla  Code makes my eyes glazed over, even reading any:-)

I'm sure that those that can relate, would understand when you said "painful" however.

Whether this latest version of Flash Player was a conflict, I'm not sure. From the release notes, it was Security. I wonder if it could have been perhaps Firefox 5.0. As you said you have used that since FF3. Something to think about.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Part of the code didn't make it through because it was in curly brackets. Just as well, I guess. Children, don't try this at home!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No... I literally just switched to FF 5.0, yesterday maybe?. The problem started in FF 4.0.1 and I was hoping 5.0 would cure it. Sorry, but I really do think I have to point the finger at flash this time. This version just does NOT agree with that particular customization. C'est la vie. The problem is solved, all is well. Thanks for bearing with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last clarification and then let's put this one to bed. The problem started in FF 4.0.1 AFTER installing 10.3.181.26 - and possibly after installing its immediate predecessor which was out for only a few days, yes? I didn't notice any problem at the time but I also wasn't paying much attention because it wasn't until I hit some site that needed flash that I became aware that something was awry. The end. I'm tired. %-/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Yes, you are probably correct. There have been several FP updates and did include technical fixes and that may have been an issue. Even Windows updates can cause a glitch. I'm experiencing a couple myself, but haven't had time to Uninstall one that I think may be the culprit:-)

At least you found out the problem, I'm still working on mine:-) IE update related....Not effecting FP, just my system.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finally someone who has the same problem as me! PLEASE TELL ME WHAT AND HOW YOU SOLVED THIS!! PLEASEE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@ Marcuuzo  I put a vanilla install of FirefoxPortable 5.0 onto a flash drive. Then (working offline) I installed the extensions I normally use one by one. After each install I would attempt to play a flash movie I had downloaded; if it still played in FF, I would add another extension.

In the end I had reinstalled every extension and flash still worked, so I decided that the problem might reside in the chrome folder, to which I had made some customizations. I took the chrome folder from the install of FF that wasn't working properly, pasted it into the new install, and bingo! I had killed flash. It then became a matter of going through the two cascading style sheets in the chrome folder and eliminating the customizations I had added one by one. The one relating to nuking embedded objects seemed like a likely culprit; I was right.

If you haven't customized your chrome, this won't apply. However, you might want to check out your extensions as outlined above. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines