• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash 10.1 and BBC iPlayer - Jerky SD, slideshow HD

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this has been asked before but it seems to be unresolved and going nowhere. Or have I missed a vital post?

I have a Samsung N220 netbook, all updated. It plays Youtube 720 and 1080p HD OK, It plays HD movies 'locally' OK, but suffers badly with BBC iPlayer being jerky in SD and an unwatchable slideshow in HD

From what I've read, this appears to be a disagreement between Adobe and the BBC regarding Progressive and Interlaced scanning, where Flash only now supports prog and Adobe say the BBC is using Int.

Now, from what I've read, and I may have misunderstood, flash 10.1 Beta 1 did support BBC IPlayer HD, and therefore I assume Int scanning.

Are the above assumptions correct? (hopefully), or have I missed something (possibly)?

Either way, if the above is right or wrong, on my netbook there is a problem with the interaction of BBC iPlayer and Flash 10.1

Now, if the above assumption is correct, can anyone please tell me what the problem with Flash and Int is?

Or is it possible for Adobe to create a new setting in say Flash 10.1.1 ( Even if only as a test package RC for those who wish to try ) that gives users the choice of enabling Interlaced scanning as well as progressive scanning support? or is this totally impossible?

Or, even better, what is the problem between Flash 10.1 and the BBC iPlayer?

For my own part, I'd just like to be ale to use my PC to visit the sites I want to visit and be able to use them correctly. what happened to standards?

Maybe Steve Jobs has a point after all

Anyway, the simple basic question - Is there a known problem with Flash 10.1 and BBC iPlayer, and what (if anything) is being done to correct it? when can we expect a fix?  If there isn't a known problem then why doesn't it work on my PC?

Thank you

BASIC SPEC

N220 netbook - http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-computers/netbooks/NP-N220-JA01UK/index.i...

Atom N450(HT) 1.66G CPU

1G ram

250GB HD

Broadcom HD decoder (up to date)

Windows 7 starter (updated)

Flash 10.1

Opera and Firefox (updated).

MSE (AV)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not bumping, but a bit extra info:

I've found an unofficial patch (same patch from two download links) that claims to fix this by skipping the Prog/Int check, as per Beta 1 I guess. Its an OCX patch for IE.

Surely, Adobe could code this is as an option for those who wish to use it? A simple extra tick box in settings perhaps?

Anyone else heard of or used this 'home-made'  patch?

Anyone tried BBC iPlayer with Beta 1 - does it work OK, is Beta 1 still available from Adobe?

Thanks

Roll on HTML5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2010 Jul 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dunno if this works or not, but BUMP 😉

No one else having this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 21, 2010 Jul 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, take a look at this thread, and post #10 & #12.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2970532#2970532

Hope that helps.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb,

thanks for the reply, I had a look but if I read it correctly its not my solution

the box was already ticked i.e. allowing storage.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same jerkiness problem using version 10 (latest). It doesn't happen with version 9, but with that the browser becomes corrupted when I stop accessin iplayer and I then have to kill the browser in a separate window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fred950, I don't know if you have turned off the hardware acceleration or not. This feature is turned on by default with Flash Player 10.1. Many users have turned it off by right clicking on a video and Unchecking it in the Display Setting. It is also recommended to update the graphic and video drivers to the latest versions.

Information on this is found here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That won't help eidnolb.

There's a bug between IPlayer and Flash where Hardware accelleration is not being used.

There are a lot of posts about this around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all, thanks for comments and suggestions.

"Floating Rover" yer agreed, Ive had a better look now both here and at the BBC iPlayer forum and there are many posts and it seems a definite real problem.

I find it hard to see why the BBC and/or Adobe cannot get their act together and fix it, or at least make a comment on one of the posts (hint!) as to what the real problem is, why it occurs and most importantly, when its going to be fixed.

I found a post saying that the problem doesn't occur with the original 10.1 RC/Beta, is this still officially available to try? I was thinking of loading the up to date 10.1 into Opera and the Beta/RC into IE for iplayer use only (if thats possible)? But Im not keen on loading 3rd party copies of said app.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think its resolved - just tested an HD program, it works  but the Audio seems a little out of sync to me, but its much, much better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There doesn't seem to have been a new release of flash so how are you

suddenly getting better results?

--

<links removed>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi acampbell99, That is fine that you are a Microsoft free zone. I just want to let you know that the Adobe Flash Forum is an Advertising Free Zone also, so you may want to remove yours. Just a FYI.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acampbell99,

Its not Flash thats been updated, its the BBCs programs - well some have started to be.

They are using a new format.

Have a test with something 'live' and recent like todays 'The One Show'.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2010 Aug 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<acampbell99, blank - no text> ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip - yes, working much better now. (Sorry my last

post was blank for some reason)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a slide show here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Floating Rover,

Its not Flash thats been updated, its the BBCs programs - well some have started to be.
They are using a new format.
Have a test with something 'live' and recent like todays 'The One Show'.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  It's really irritating!

Bump!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines