• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash 32.0.0.270 crashes on macos when loading in a WebView

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing latest flash version 32.0.0.270, when loading a flash website inside a WebView , the plugin WebKitPluginHost crashes (thus the flash file is not rendered, you just see the label "Plug-In Failure" in the website.

I just attached the stack trace of the crash (exception type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT))

NOTE1: this heavily affects any macos app using a WebView to view flash websites.

NOTE2: Apparently if we use a WKWebView the pages load correctly.

NOTE3: If we compile with 32bit (legacy app), flash is not detected at all (it does not crash, it's just like you have not installed in your macos)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Thanks for the note.  Flash Player is intended for use as a browser plug-in.  We know that people use the embedded use-case, but it's a path fraught with peril.  We try to keep it working whenever possible, but it's not something that we explicitly test or support.  You'd be well served over the long-term by migrating to a solution that removes the Flash dependency.  Safari is absolutely going to be the most aggressive about killing Flash off, and Flash EOL is quickly approaching.  

Background: https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the note.  Flash Player is intended for use as a browser plug-in.  We know that people use the embedded use-case, but it's a path fraught with peril.  We try to keep it working whenever possible, but it's not something that we explicitly test or support.  You'd be well served over the long-term by migrating to a solution that removes the Flash dependency.  Safari is absolutely going to be the most aggressive about killing Flash off, and Flash EOL is quickly approaching.  

Background: https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

I'd recommend filing a bug over at http://tracker.adobe.com/ with a binary that reproduces the issue.  We'd need an interactive debugging session with symbols to figure out what's happening.  If you reply with a bug number, it will land in my inbox and I'll try and get it routed tomorrow.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a bugtracker case for this: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FP-4199039 . There is an app attached, with source code, that reproduces the problem. The webkit WebView merely loads the flash player plug-in, just as Safari does. You say Flash is only meant to be used as a browser plug-in. That is exactly what is happening here.

Technically, there should be no difference between Safari loading the plug-in vs WebView; they both use WebKit.

If you turn off System Integrity Protection (SIP), it works. So the issue must be something with how Adobe is signing or notarizing the plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see from my previous reply, I have created a bug tracker case with attached source code and app: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FP-4199039. Is Adobe going to look into it?

I feel this falls within your supported use-case - as a browser plug-in. The browser happens to be the webkit WebView which is loading the flash player as a plug-in, just as Safari does. It works in Safari and if System Integrity Protection is turned off, indicating it is an issue with signing or notarization. This is not an "embedded" use-case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, I just tested with version 32.0.0.293 released Nov. 13, 2019 and it still crashes with:

EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

abort() called.

See the linked bug tracker case in my previous reply for the crash log and an app that reproduces the problem, including source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crash is still happening with version 32.0.0.303.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The SIGABRT crash is still happening with version 32.0.0.321.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines