Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player active x in add-ons

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2010 Jan 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows XP Media version, IE6:

Am I suppose to see the Flashplayer Active X in the IE Add-ons , i.e. Tools Manage Add-ons? I do see the Shockwave player add-on.

If I am supposed to see this active X (which I do not), then something is wrong with my PC. Thanks, Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jan 20, 2010 Jan 20, 2010

Mike, no not yet. Right above the "Post Message" bar. Confusing since there is another one where the search forums bar is.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, well the screenshots didn't come through. Hope you had success in finding out the problem.

Thanks, let me know.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also sent doc as lnk twice to mail forums. Hope at least one got there. I really need you to see the screens. Thanks, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike, Usually when I need to send something, I use the "browse" feature below. When the window opens after you click on browse, then your desktop opens and you can find the file and proceed just as you would if you were sending it to a friend. It will appear in the post and "attach" it that way and send.

I haven't used that feature lately since I have had no need to. It does act up once in awhile.

Thanks

eidnolb

P.S. I meant to add that this feature works just like your email when you send an attachment or file or picture, etc.

Hope that helps. I didn't understand it until I used it for the first time either.

Message was edited by: eidnolb  add a P.S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb, did you get the error screen doc? If not, what is this "browse" feature? You say it is below, but I didn't see it. Thanks, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, no not yet. Right above the "Post Message" bar. Confusing since there is another one where the search forums bar is.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2010 Jan 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

Attached are my flash player error screens for you to see what problems I am having. Thanks for the help and support. I'm sure, like me, a lot of people owe you for your giving of knowledge. Thanks again, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, Thanks, will review the screen shots and get back to you asap.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb,

I am pursuing the Error 53 and User Agent registry problem with Microsoft. This user agent string is supposed to be 160 characters max. Over the max, it is reported, causes website problems. I know from mainframe coding that over the max for an element in an array or structure usally means overriding core memory and causes all kinds of problems. I will let you know. Thanks.

Mike

Your User-Agent String

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; AT&T CSM8.1; GTB6.3; FunWebProducts; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; AskTB5.3)

Long UA Warning: Your User-Agent string is longer than 200 characters. This may cause problems with some websites, which may block you from visiting, render blank pages, or show error messages. More Information is available about this problem and how to fix it.

Nested UA Warning: Your User-Agent string is corrupted, with two instances of the Mozilla/4.0 token. This typically is caused by a bad registry key. See More Information about how to find the bad PostPlatform subkey and remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, had unavoidable interruptions today. I have no idea why those websites were asking for FP. Is there any other version of Flash in the Flash folder or add ons other than 10d? With those 4 websites saying the same thing it is as if something is blocking them from seeing the latest ActiveX Control.

You have 26 Toolbars and BHO's in addition to ActiveX Controls. You also have several that are not verified. It is my opinion that those are your problem. It is my understanding also, that Toolbars are installed. I know an add on in the manage add ons can be enabled or disabled. Not sure that an installed item can be so easily done so. I don't use any, so can't speak from experience. However, I have read that with the Googles Toolbar it must be removed.

If you want to pursue the Registry path for the IE 53 storage error, that is up to you. It may interest you to know I tried to download a program today that I knew in advance I did not have enough RAM for and guess what? I got the IE 53 storage error. I don't think that error is that involved. And I would also probably get that same error if I tried to update to Win7.🙂

I just find it hard to believe that the error solution would have to be found on a blog. Since it is an IE error warning, wouldn't Microsoft be aware of it and offer a solution? Just my opinion. I find it hard to believe that users would need to be so technically astute to go into the Registry. I will abide by what I told you in a previous post about Registry Cleaners etc and

that would go for deleting or tampering with the Registry.

Since you have Uninstalled and Installed Flash Player successfully, per the Flash folder and Shockwave Flash Object with the latest version of 10.0.42.34, then I think the objective was obtained.

I'll leave you with the Toolbars, etc and the Registry:-)

Regards,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb  add'l

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2010 Jan 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb,

There are no other versions of FP in the flash folder or add-ons. All add-ons are disabled except for Shockwave player and FP and Microsoft add-ons and the latest Java update 18. I have uninstalled several toolbars, and have cleaned up my startup. I am not pursuing the 53 error directly., but I think my 53 error is a consequence of the bigger problem I am pursuing with the User Agent string length error. This is what I am in contact with Microsoft for and they know about the problem. Whenever they send .NET updates and other security updates such as came with SP2, the user agent string is concatenated with the new info. The max length of the string on websites is 160. My string length is 200. Microsoft knows about this problem, and hopefully will tell me what to do about it. Microsoft has statements about this problem in some of their connectmicrosoft.com forums. I will try to remove the google toolbar and aol toolbar also. I'll let you know. The agent string is used by webites to determine what system you have and other info. If this string is longer that accepted by the website script, this can cause problems. I'll let you know. Thanks. Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, thanks for the update. Well, I am relieved that you are in touch with Microsoft. I just found out yesterday that

Microsoft has issued a Critical IE out of band update for IE6, IE7 and IE8. I downloaded and installed it late last night as soon as I became aware of it. You might want to check it out.

Also I have been hearing of problems with Java errors. Have not had time to see if this Java 6 update 18 is related to the

IE 53 storage errors or not. Java has resolved many bugs that were reported in 2008 and they were supposedly resolved with the 6 update 18. It does get complicated and important when the IE browser, Java and Flash Player are involved.

The .NET Framework large updates are in play also. Very large files installed recently, almost 400 MB in total. This is in addition to what is already on the system. I'm dealing with those at the moment.

The thing that confuses me at the moment in regard to your IE 53 error, is why those 4 sites were causing a problem. I can understand trying to download and install a large MB file and taxing the RAM and the Virtual Memory, but not those smaller sites. Yet, you can use youtube.

I'll be interested as well as others I am sure, what the bottom line on this IE 53 error is. Why now? That would be my question and did it have to do with the latest MB's of the .NET updates. My PC has been having strange problems since installing those. So I may be contacting MS support myself.

Thanks Mike, hope we can get to the bottom of this.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb,

I have only gotten the 53 error on one thing, and not on downloads. The 53 err happens when I am in IE and click on Help and About Internet explorer. I do not get the error at any other time so far. I did install KB978207 this AM when notified. This has to do with IE security errors. Is this the critical IE out of band update you are referring to? The 53 error is not showing up on the websites with the FP errors, only as described above. Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted. I removed the AOL and Google toolbars and am seeing about removing the other toolbars.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Mike that was the IE update. Thanks for explaining where the IE 53 error originates since I thot otherwise. Since you only have the mentioned add ons enabled, it doesn't make sense why those 4 sites are asking for that.

I think it's a wise move to get rid of those excessive Toolbars. I know people use them and it's a personal decision and not a required one. I just try to keep my add ons to a minimum because I don't like to deal with conflicts, but again everyone's use of the internet and browsing habits differ. Some do make a difference so I just point out what many people on various forums have found to conflict and pass the info on. Same thing with anti-virus/firewalls. They are needed, but will block installs; so disable while installing and enable when finished.

Check this link out regarding the KB978207, I was sure that last night when I installed it that it was a revision 2.0 or 2.1, can't remember. But now I see the same KB but with a Revision 3.1 and the date is today 1/22/10. Some add't info re:

the DEP that I did not see last night. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978207

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 17, 2010 Dec 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a FYI, spam is not tolerated outright or under any pretense.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines