• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash10a.ocx problem, causes IE to Close. HELP!

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2008 Nov 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been getting this message frequently:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Internet Explorer has experienced a problem with an add-on and needs to close.

The following add-on was running when this problem occurred:

Add-on Name: Flash10a.ocx

Company Name: Adobe Systems Incorporated

Description: Adobe Flash Player
--------------------------------------------------------

The message pops up, and it then closes and restarts Internet Explorer.

What is causing this, and how can I fix it?

Thanks so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2008 Nov 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: TLCDaisy

The message pops up, and it then closes and restarts Internet Explorer.

What is causing this, and how can I fix it?

Thanks so much!

-----------------------------------------------------

Since downloading Flash 10 I have also been experiencing the same problem. I receive the above error message and then my browser window(s) close but do not restart. After that, when I reopen my browser, nothing will run properly unless I completely restart my computer.

I'm using XP & IE7. I uninstalled & reinstalled Flash10 (successfully), updated & ran checks on everything I could (XP, Norton, etc) but no improvement.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2009 Mar 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I'VE FINALLY SOLVED THIS ISSUE.
IT SEEMS A MEMORY PROBLEM.

1). BE SURE YOR MEMORY DIMMS ARE IDENTHICAL.
2). IF NOT, TAKE OFF ONE OF THEM AND TRY AGAIN RUNNING THE FLASH PLAYER.

I HOPE THIS WERE USEFULL FO ALL OF YOU.

FJP.
Webmaster clasiefectivos(dot)com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2009 Mar 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell a complete ameteur how to do this? I have tried every other fix in the forum and nothing works! I would greatly apppreciate a step-by-step to try your solution. Thanks so much in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2009 Mar 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:disgust;

I too have been having a lot of problems lately. I had IE7, with FP 10, no problems, then upgraded to IE8. No problems. Recently started to have problems with pages freezing then crashing. To repair, I tried removing and reinstalling flash player and it's activex, Now I can't re-install anything without the computer freezing or crashing. As of yesterday, NO flash player content works. Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2008 Nov 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem! And it seems to be happening more and more frequently now.. Which is annoying. I'm running Vista.
Explorer closes then reopens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here for months on both IE and MYIE2/Maxthon browsers.. IE reboots itself,MYIE divides up the page, has scrolling run-ons,and freezes requiring manual program termination.
wt this has been going on for about 10 weeks..
vista of course

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here for months on both IE and MYIE2/Maxthon browsers.. IE reboots itself,MYIE divides up the page, has scrolling run-ons,and freezes requiring manual program termination.
wt this has been going on for about 10 weeks..
vista of course

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same thing happens to me. Flash10a.ocx crashes my IE7 repeatedly and also seems to slow it down a lot when it does run. can seem to find any help on the web. Seems like it much be happening to a zillion folk....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah still having the problem...
I uninstalled version 10 and reinstalled the older version (noting how many downloads it has had in teh last month .. a lot ).. but you have to keep from installing the upate.. plus all the applications out there keep telling you to upgrade to latest version.

10 crashed IE, Maxthon/ MyIE2.

I finally went with firefox and it doesnt have an issue with version 10 so far and it seems Adobe is not in a hurry to do a patch..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2008 Nov 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem... has anyone figured this out yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 29, 2008 Nov 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I end up with an unending string of windows and then computer COMPLETELY locks down (control+alt+delete doesn't even respond). I have to turn my computer off to get out of it. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times to no avail. I guess we have to wait until after the Thanksgiving weekend....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2009 Jan 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: TLCDaisy

The message pops up, and it then closes Internet Explorer window or windows and sometimes shuts down the whole pc.

Please get a patch sorted out for this asap because on searching the net all the forums are full of the same complaint. Its so annoying and would really appriciate this being looked at urgently.

Thanks in anticipation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2009 Jan 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if either Adobe or Microsoft are working on this problem? Or just choosing to ignore it?
I've deleted Flash10a and re-installed Flash 9 to see if it makes any difference. Because I, like a lot of you have been getting increasingly frustrated with the message:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2009 Jan 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happens to me...both the multiple windows and the locking up IE. I use vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The multiple windows has been a veritable headache to say the least!
Now I'm contemplating taking Vista off my system and returning to XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like I found a solution!!! Don't know if I found it in this thread or in one of the many others I've been surfing to fix this stupid thing but it is an easy fix and has worked so far in my IE7. All you have to do is

1. go to Tools/Manage Add-ons/Enable or Disable Add-ons
2. find the Shockwave Flash Object also labeled Flash10a.ocx
3. Disable it.

Please tell us if it works for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem for about a week now and nothing works permanently including the latest selection. So, I am also looking for help from Adobe, Microsoft or a smart person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2009 Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem. I'm running Windows Vista and I kept getting the message about "Flash10a.ocx" and it would close and restart my IE7. What I found, and seemed to work, so far, is you need to find the location of this .ocx file on your C: drive. You might find it under C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash. Right click the file "FlashUtil10a", (it could be a different number, depending on the version you downloaded). Select "Run as Administrator". If a User Account Control window pops up asking if you started this program, click continue and click "Install Now". I didn't uninstall anything when I did this. I was then able to continue in IE7 on the page I was trying to get to. I found these instructions on the following website:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_19166&sliceId=1#internet_explorer

Good luck and I hope it works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2009 Jan 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Iv'e been having this problem since flash player asked to do an update about a week ago. Iv'e tried everything I could think of including but not limited to uninstalls and reinstalls and disabling. Disabling doesn't work becasuse the sites I use on a regular basis require the add-on.Has anyone recei ved a response. There must be tens of thousands of users who have this same problem since flash player is so popular with website developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2009 Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im running the latest IE browser and have Had this problem with Flash over and over again, currently running win-xp with service pack 3...adobe doesnt seem to care to fix it, it happened with the last 3 flash updates also... its not vista, its adobe...i wish they would tend to this complaint already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2009 Feb 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,..I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR WEEKS SINCE UPDATING,..MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING ON WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 3,...I TRIED EVERYTHING AND FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION,..SO FAR VIDEOS ON YOU TUBE HAVENT CRASHED ,..

UPDATE PC TO INTERNET EXPLORER 7
I UNISTALLED ALL FLASH CONTENT FROM PC
THEN RESTARTED PC
CLICK IN THIS LINK,.... http://www.logistixonline.com/logistix/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=752

logistix-update-packs-jan09
INSTALLED THE LOGISTIX PLUGINS PLUS UPDATE PACK
WENT ON YOU TUBE AND VIDEOS HAVENT CRASHED SINCE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2009 Mar 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see now..."Internet Explorer has encountered a problem with an add-on and needs to close..." for "Flash10a.ocx". This occurs on Windows 2000, Windows XP SP1, SP2, SP3, can't confirm Vista, but others do here as well and on IE6, IE7 and IE8 and not on Firefox and ver9 caused no such issues.

Ver10 included very important security updates...apparently designed to crash your system(s) and cause your company money in wasted IT time. No comment or fix at all in over 3-months now.

I plan to talk to IT at my company and see about reverting all systems to 9.x and/or blocking all flash related content at the hardware firewall level as we do Bittorrent and other crap. Let's see how they react when their partners are informed that over 20,000 people can no longer see their advertisements and if we can get it to cascade to other companies and if they fix it before their customers lynch them for eliminating or pissing off their customers customers or target audience.

Never thought I'd see the day when Adobe is so lazy and sloppy and insensitive that they make M$ look like a saint. Unrelated I am also sick of their stupid Adobe Reader eating up tons memory and crashing itself or the system...on a 4GB workstation (3GB available). Do you guys have any programmers left that know anything or did you outsource them are are partying on an island with AIG execs?

Fix it or prepare to feel it in your bottom line...I've had it with you lazy software companies that for upgrades that cause more issues than they resolve!
================================================================================
UPDATE: Apparently Flash10b aka Flash Player 10.0.22.87 was released on Feb24, 2009 to pretty quiet fanfare...if you look closely you will find it VERY hard to see any mention of actual FIXES besides critical security enhancement...until you dig deeper and find the actual change log which lists
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following issues have been fixed in Flash Player 10.0.22.87:
• Flash Player 10 crashes in IE7 due to the use of a dynamic TextField as a mask on another display object when the field set to anti-alias for readability. (FP-1238/2256938)
• A sound stream error #2032 will cause the playback of a separate stream to stop playback. (FP-910/2251944)
• Japanese text mojibake (garbled) at Input Text in Flash 5 swf. (2223727)
• Ming created file does not play in Flash Player 10 in any browser. (FP-769/2217038)
• FileReference.save() can save invalid Windows filename like "sticky." so users are never able to delete. (2202963)
• Setting bitmap width/height before super() crashes player. (FP-760/2216975)
• Audio is scratchy with static/streamed with sample rate greater than 44kHz. (FP-862/2216961)
• Seeking H264 video on the first few frames causes IE to crash. (FP-913/2216957)
• Fullscreen in Flash Player 10 hangs with Flex 3 horizontal slider. (FP-812/2216948)
• Matrix3D AS3 class implementation is difficult to use for general math. (2216936)
• The Origin header should be put on the banned headers list. (2202975)
• Using drawingAPI2 in certain conditions when the Shape is not yet on the displayList can crash. (FP-761/2202966)
• Adding 2 vectors with float4 input and output produces incorrect result. (2202964)
• Attempting to install to a non-C:\ drive results in 'lack of disk space' error. (2202957)
• Fix AS APIs' inconsistent handling of NaN parameters on different platforms. (FP-612,FP-903, FP-964/2200454)
• SampleDataEvent playback in IE7 window crashes browser when new Flash window displayed. (FP-985/1935068)
• When receiving multiple speex audio streams, audio may be garbled. (1934243)
• When the end of a video is reached at certain websites, IE crashes instead of showing the next frame. (FP-1123/1932362)
• UIA mistakenly over-enforced in previous release. (2262898)
• Japanese characters are mojibake when they are entered into an input text filed on the Mac Player. (FP-40/2269305)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I'm sure 6 IE related Crash fixes are all "security" related;) Geez...you guys must also think we are only in a minor economic downturn too. The supidiest thing is that if you go here for support:
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/

It IRONICALLY claims that, "SUPPORT ALERT Do you have problems installing or running Adobe® Flash® Player for Internet Explorer? Most of these problems can be attributed to Windows Registry permission issues. See our technical documents on Flash Player and Windows Registry permission errors."

REALLY...REALLY?!?

Is that why sys admin and hackers (original definition...computer whiz types) gave detailed issues on IE6/IE7/IE8 conflicts everywhere including here many times and then suddenly you sneak in 6-IE related fixes and add such a silly claim to your support page. Look at the forum message here for some reality check and PLEASE stop having MARKETING or THE LAWYERS write all you documentation. Most of us just want stuff fixed and to know when stuff has bee addressed or fixed....OK!

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=44&catid=184&threadid=1401765&e...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2009 Mar 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. It is random for me, but a nuisance none the less. Flash 10 also interferes with mshtml.dll and causes some big-time crashes when exiting the browser. This occurs on some sites are heavily flash enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can't be a memory problem! Too many people are experiencing it. I agree Adobe need to get its act together before issuing updates. I upgrades my Encore CS3 to CS4 (at a cost of hundreds of dollars) and now find out that my Sony Hard Disk Camcorder is NOT supported in the newer version. What a rip off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines