• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

have current flash version but...

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I constantly get redirected to a web page that asks me to update Adobe flash.  I have two computers that are both running Windows 7 and they both have the most current version of Flash installed.  Both IE & Chrome are updated to the current versions. 

I have uninstalled and reinstalled flash on both computers.   I have run scans in safemode looking for malware issue using the following programs:  malwayrebytes, bitdefender, emsisoft antimalware & adwcleaner and they aren't finding anything.  Below is a screenshot while looking at an article from USA Today.

I have Version 17.0.0.169 installed.

Any suggestions?  If I reload or refresh the page, sometimes the correct webpage will appear.

flash issue.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Hi Joseph,

It took a while but I finally resolved my problem.  I had an open port on my Asus router for a home IP cam (that I thought was secure).   I came across this thread:    The Moon Worm - Infects Home Routers - Shows Fake "Adobe Flash Critical Update Required" Message

and once I blocked outside access to my router, the problem went away.  My router wasn't listed as one affected but it really appears to have been the issue.

Just wanted to update you and thank you for your help.

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is that URL? The image is too small for me to see if it is legit or not. Looks like you have some malware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I had to surf around to recreate the page. I was on usatoday.com and after about 20 different pages, it showed up on the page that has the URL below.  I removed the :// so the URL didn't turn into the headline story.

http www.newser.com/story/206656/parents-arrive-for-graduation-to-find-son-has-disappeared.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=usatoday&utm_campaign=syn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean the URL in the "download flash player" page you posted above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see... that isn't right. You should always download Flash Player from get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens randomly during the course of a browsing session -- that flash page will appear -- the URL doesn't change.  It even happens on one of our own websites. 

It's strange that it happens on both my computer and my husbands.  We have completely different computer activity styles -- I don't know how to better explain it.  He doesn't download any programs, just uses MS Office and does a little web surfing.

Any suggestions of a different malware scanner?  I've already uninstalled flash and reinstalled.

tia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard good things about Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software - see if it can find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your help.  all scans come up clear.  i have a feeling it's with my router.  updating the firmware on it etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joseph,

It took a while but I finally resolved my problem.  I had an open port on my Asus router for a home IP cam (that I thought was secure).   I came across this thread:    The Moon Worm - Infects Home Routers - Shows Fake "Adobe Flash Critical Update Required" Message

and once I blocked outside access to my router, the problem went away.  My router wasn't listed as one affected but it really appears to have been the issue.

Just wanted to update you and thank you for your help.

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it was resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, as soon as I saw that screenshot, I was like it's "The Moon" worm.

If it was me, and I actually ran one of the fake installers that you were presented with, even if the virus scanner and malware tool came up clean, I'd give some serious thought to backing up my important files and wiping the machine and reinstalling from pristine sources.  Once you have a fully patched OS and virus scanner back on the machine, then you can scan your backups and copy the files back over.  This is particularly wise if you're doing anything sensitive (banking, taxes, healthcare) with your computer. 

It probably wouldn't be a bad plan to rotate your credentials to important sites and services once you're back to a reasonably known-good state, either.  If you haven't moved to a password manager and unique passwords (and 2-factor authentication where it's available) for all of your important sites, it's a great time to make that jump.  It's way less hassle than working through an identity theft situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines