Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it this simple?

Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how I solved the problem that many of you are having.

I too, allowed the Flash Player Update when prompted. And

also some sites were telling to me install F.P. version 9 or higher.

I had Adobe check & I indeed did have 10.0.32.18 installed.

The websites were not recognizing it. After reading and doing

some research, I found out it is the SHOCKWAVE PLAYER Active

X in Internet Explorer that they were looking at. I went to Manage

Add Ons, updated the Shockwave Player Active X and Shazaam!

All is right with the world with Adobe Flash and Shockwave.

I do not use Firefox, so cannot address that. Hope this helps some

of you.

Update: I neglected to mention that you will need to restart your

computer after updating the Shockwave Player Active X add on.

Also if you want to know if your install worked, go to www.adobe.com/software/flash/about

and Adobe will tell you.

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Thank you for your post.

You can also test Shockwave and Flash player at http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your post.

You can also test Shockwave and Flash player at http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I have been going crazy trying to figure out why I could not watch videos anymore...Tried all the stuff Adobe said in their troubleshooting guidelines and still no videos.  I saw your fix and tried it and voila....videos appear. It really is that simple. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so glad that it worked for you!!! And thank you for responding. I don't remember if I said in my post, but the Websites that are telling people they need to upgrade or don't have Flash Player, are mistakenly using THAT term instead of Shockwave Player. It is the websites issue, not Adobe. From my understanding, the websites, per se, use Shockwave Player and the web sites that have videos etc, use Flash Player ALSO!! That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. LOL It worked for me and it worked for you, so we are right and some "helpers" don't understand, imo.

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 23:01:16 -0600

To: [email address deleted by host]

Subject: Flash Player Is it this simple?

Thank you so much. I have been going crazy trying to figure out why I could not watch videos anymore...Tried all the stuff Adobe said in their troubleshooting guidelines and still no videos.  I saw your fix and tried it and voila....videos appear. It really is that simple. Thank you so much

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What "helpers" are you talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you for your question.  I don't remember any particular helpers names without

going back over the several posts that I read yesterday.  I registered 8/31/09 for the very

first time. After I found the solution to my problem, which  was for the most part, the same as

most posters were having, I posted my discussion as "Is it this simple?", stating what I

had found as the solution.  What I can say in regard to your question now, is that I found

that many of the answers that the helpers were giving confused matters and did not

address the issue. I spent about 4 hours researching to understand the issue that I had;

proceeded to fix it, and when Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave Player were both

updated, I decided to share that information in order to help others. In my opinion as I

have stated in response to other posters it was related to the Web sites INCORRECTLY

telling users to update to F.P., when the web sites should have said SHOCKWAVE PLAYER.

That in my humble opinion was the PROBLEM and my assumption must have been correct,

because I already had F.P. updated and confirmed by Adobe.  When I realized by my research

that Shockwave Player works WITH F.P. on web sites with video, etc, I updated it and then

the web sites no longer asked me to update F.P.(incorrectly as I stated above)  After that

Adobe Flash Player is updated and Shockwave Player Active X as well and everything is

working. That is all that I can tell you. In my opinion the helpers should have been able to

tell the posters that and given them that solution. Thank you for asking and I hope this clarifies

the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very grateful for the research that you have done, and for the solution that you have found.

I myself would never have found that, or even remotely thought about it, because I always have the latest version of Shockwave Player installed.  That is why I have never been able to reproduce what you and others were experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your gracious reply. Yesterday was the very first time I visited the

Adobe forum. That says something about how great Adobe is!!  Sometimes just

something simple can throw a kink in and make the problem bigger. I in no way

meant to offend the helpers, it was just so frustrating when their answers for me

were way over my head. That is why I had to get to the bottom of the situation.

I am sure that the helpers are so technical that  they were looking at it from

a different perspective. I am a learner and mostly self taught & research until

I find an answer. So may I ask if in your opinion , do you think it was/is a slip

up on the web sites part ? Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify: this is a user-to-user (or peer-to-peer) forum, so with a few exceptions, all members here are just regular users, some with more, and some with less experience.  Certainly, nobody here has all the answers...

Regarding the confusion of certain websites about Flash Player and Shockwave Player; both products were originally developed by Macromedia.  I remember that Shockwave was sometimes referred to as Shockwave Flash...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2009 Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read all of your posts and tried all your suggestions and nothing seem to work.  My computer in the "Add/Delete programs" does not show the Flash Player.  I checked in Tools/Manage Ad Ons and Shock Player Object says I have version 10.0.32.18.

Flash Player says I have version 10,0, 32, 18 when I go to the site you suggested to see what I have installed.  Yet every time I go to YouTube or FaceBook  to view a video it says I either have java turned off or I need the current edition of Flash.  When I try to get it IE8 freezes.  I can see videos on Google and Yahoo so long as they are not identified with You Tube.  I have never done anything but udate when I was told I needed to do it.  Any suggestions for a unsophisticated user.  Please in simple language not techno jargo.  BlairMac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 16, 2009 Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, YouTube gave me that same message before I found my solution. Did you reboot your computer after updating the Shockwave Flash Object in Manage Add Ons? Since the Adobe site confirmed to you that you have F.P. and you have the latest version of SWF it should be working fine. I would go back in on Manage Add ons and update the Shockwave Flash Object by hi-lighting it and then click on Update Active X again. It will tell you the version you already confirmed, won't hurt anything. Then I would restart Windows and then go to YouTube and see if that made a difference. I don't understand why F.P. is not listed in your  Add/Remove files, mine is, but the main thing

Adobe told you it is installed. Try that. I have read IE8 is sort of picky. I have IE6:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2009 Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Retired older person, so I am not on-line often, but I thank you for all you are doing for us non-technical folks try to solve this probalem, since Adobe doesn't seem to want to.  My wife's lap top just keeps pluggin along and does't seem to have the problem that I do.

I went to Manage Ad Ons in IE8 Tools and found shock wave object in the all ad ons drop down, not in the currently installed ad ons drop down.  When I highlighted it no update botton was found;  only ones were Disable or Close.  In the listing under All ad ons, it shows that it is enabled and the edition 10.0. 32.18.  I looked at your conversation with LibertyWater and I looked in Tools/Internet Options/Browsing History/Settings/View Objects and came up with downloaded files that did not show either shock wave or flash player.  Agains this is in IE8 Temporary Internet files.  My Temp Internet files has option to update web sites 1.  every time I visit webpage 2. every time I start IE 3. automatically 4. Never.  I have #1 selected .  I cannot understand why the Shockwave Object is in all ad ons and not curretly loaded ad ons.  When I try to download Shockwave it freezes up also.  Are there other setting I should have turned on or off?

Do you know why all the posts between you and LibertyWater ended up being in e-mail box?

BlairMac

Message was edited by: BlairMac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know the "why" of any of it. The posts showed up in my email & it was

easier for me to just "reply". I was not sure they showed up on the post

board, but I did see them there. I ended up just Deleting it all & started

over with download from Adobe. I have got the internet has to close box a

couple times, but until it gets worse, I'm gonna leave it alone. I had no

trouble dwnlding from Adobe.

Sorry I cannot be more help. The board is humming about these things & one

of them has been very helpful to me.

Hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to give you a heads up on the email thing. Anytime anyone posts on this thread, everyone gets an email from the last person

that posts. You can look on the right hand side that says stop email notification. Usually when a person has a problem solved they do that.

Hope things are still ok:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Evening  Everyone that posts on this "Is it this simple" will receive an email notification. When a person's problem has been solved,

they can go to the right hand side and stop email notification. That way they won't receive them if someone else makes a comment.

I use I.E. 6, so 8 that you use is a little different regarding some "terms", etc. In the "all add ons" versus "currently installed add ons" it is confusing but the only thing that is important is that they are "Enabled" When you tried to hi light one and your only option was "disable or close" that is ok, it meant it was already "Enabled".  You are showing the latest version of Shockwave Flash (10.0.32.18)

The Flash Player Active X would not be in your manage add ons.  What should be is the Shockwave Flash 10.0.32.18 which you saw.

Just for a point of reference: In my manage add ons Shockwave Flash is listed, Enabled and under the "File" heading it says Flash 10c.ocx

When I go to Tools>internet Explorer>Settings and click on View Objects, All of the Active X add ons are listed, including Shockwave Flash.

Also when I RIGHT CLICK on it, a window opens up and says Update, Remove, Properties.  Also the "temporary internet files" you mentioned that you had selected #1-every time you visit a web page. I have mine set for "automatically"

I would like for you to check if Shockwave Flash in add ons, under the file heading says: Flash10c.ocx

Some people leave their computers running all of the time and never shut them off.  Since you downloaded Flash Player and Shockwave

have you restarted your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By inspiration, after trying all you said I picked up a clue in the manage ad-ons.  I highlighted the Shockwave and doble clicked it.  It gave me a widow that told me all about it.  It was amazing that it also gave me a path: C:\windows\system32\macromed\Flash.  I went thru My Computer and clicked all the way down to Flash.  I double click it and three folders came up 1.  Falsh 10c.ocx  2.  Instal text document 3.  Flash Util10c Adobe Flash Helper.  Douuble clicking that and inside was an update box which I clicked;  it updated and fixed my problem.

The shockwave now appears in the currently installed portion of the manage ad-ons.

Maybe this will help others.  I know what you suggested got me to where I could find the above.

BlairMac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blair Mac, thank you so much for relaying that information and how you got it done!!!  That will certainly help. It is difficult for me to try to

help posters that are using IE7 or 8, since I have not used either (still on IE6) That was amazing how you figured that out. I hate to tell you but I'm glad I am using IE6. LOL If it is ok with you, I am going to copy your solution and keep it here on my desk, so the next time I come

across someone with IE8, I'll just relate to them your solution.

Thanks so much!! Happy problem free computing to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately for me none of these solutions have helped me, including the one for IE8. I am running Vista 32 SP2 and have the Flash 10 but it will not play no matter what I do. I had it working less than a week ago after much frustration (using the uninstall link and then using the reinstall link from this site somewhere) but after I assume some Windows updates it is not working again.

One thing I did notice in my Tools Internet Options General Settings View Objects there is a Damaged file in the Downloaded Program Files and it says two Adobe files are affected by it, and I have no clue how to get rid of it. I just did a complete recovery of my computer just a little over a week ago so it is something new. Someone please help before I lose my mind!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is frustrating, I agree. Ok, you say you have F.P.10 installed. Have you had this confirmed by Adobe. Just to be sure that you indeed have it installed, www.adobe.com/software/flash/about  is the site that Adobe will confirm you have F.P. installed and they will tell you the version. If you have already done that, fine, I just suggest that since installing/uninstalling etc, one never knows.

On your two damaged Active X or BHO in add ons. I had one that I found, not in add ons but I removed it. I went to Tools>Internet Explorer>Settings, Clicked on View Objects.  I saw the one that was damaged, RIGHT clicked on it and a small window opened up to Update, Remove.  This one I chose to remove.  You can update an Active x also & if you see Shockwave Flash, make sure it is Enabled.

With IE8, I think you can do that in manage add ons or view objects.

Whether you Enable Shockwave Flash or Update it, don't forget to close the browsers and REBOOT .

Keep in mind these ActiveX add ons and BHO's are just that, add ons. You don't need any to run Windows or IE.

Try this and see if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. Yes, I checked the link you have given and it says Flash is installed. Flash is enabled and I have tried everything that has been suggested. I am unable to delete the damaged active x files. All I am able to do in IE8 is right click and get properties, nothing else. Double clicking just opens the Properties. I am attaching the screen prints of these so you can see that there is no way (that I can see) to delete these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I looked at all 3 .jpg's. It appears from the first one this was created in 2006. I forgot whether the file # was listed or not. On #2 &3, were both the E2883E8F........?

I am quite surprised that in IE8 there is no way to remove these. I can do some checking on that. I had AOL dial up about 3 years ago, before broadband and even after I removed it from Add/Remove they had all kinds of folders and residue of that in my system. Well, I got rid of it all! LOL So, there is a way.

I will find out how IE 8 handles removing damaged or any Active X add ons, as far as that goes. It may take a little while. Actually I was reading about it myself, my IE6 was hanging. I just updated from Patch Tuesday, so don't think too much about it.

Also, not sure if these ActiveX add ons are Damaged and not working, are they really hurting anything? Perhaps they are interfering.

Did you Reboot after making sure Shockwave Flash was enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2009 Sep 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! If you have wondered WHAT happened to ME? Well, my computer had what

I am calling a "Black Out". IE called a few earlier "Blue Screen" events,

well, this was a Black Screen event. The computer came back to what appeared

to be a Dos screen & would not even catch a re-start: on a 20 second cycle

it restarted over & over.

My husband had to recover, from a extra hard drive we put on several weeks

ago, our information from 2005 when the computer was new. He is still trying

to recover items in hopes of something. . . .I am checking email on an even

older s.l.o.w.e.r. model.

Anyway, as far as THIS problem goes: Flash & Shockwave are not on the

installed list. Only Adobe Reader & Acrobat. I updated to IE8 already. He

is surfing the news channels online & has received the same IE must close

box one time. It showed the problem as a ".ocx " one. One website had a box

asking us to upgrade to Flash 10, so, we GOT RID OF THAT BOX!!! The plan

now is to go to Adobe.com & download Flash, Shockwave & update

Reader/Acrobat from their site. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THAT IS A BAD IDEA!! I

do not know what this AIR is, but that came in on a Reader update before our

Black Screen moment. (thinking. . .could it be BAD AIR???)

Well, I'll wait awhile to see what reply I get. Please send any ideas. THANK

YOU IN ADVANCE I appreciate the help!

Until next post. . . . bye for now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well glad to see you, but not for the reasons that you posted. I have a question for you, but will post it later.

Sorry to hear of this mess! I wouldn't download from any website either, nothing! Since a web site was asking you to download F.P.10,

remember the web sites asked me that AFTER Adobe had already confirmed that I had F.P.10 installed successfully?, I still maintain that

the web sites are really MEANING the Shockwave Flash 10c.ocx that is in the manage add ons. After I updated that & rebooted, I had no problem whatsoever.

Here is what I would do first. Go to www.adobe.com/software/flash/about and let Adobe tell you 1. do you have F.P. installed? 2. What version?  Since you are working now with a different hard drive, some version may be on there. That way you would know that you have to uninstall first.

I would hold off on the updating on Reader & Acrobat until you get the F.P. issue fixed.

On the Air vs, I'll check, but I think it is a more advanced version of Reader, not sure, just remember reading about the options.

Let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got mine to work uninstalling it, going into the Registry Editor  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution
Units\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}   In the Left-hand pane, right-click on the key (folder) named
{D27CDB6E-AID-11CF-96B8-444553540000}, and choose Delete. Mine started with an E but it was the one that said it was damaged in the downloaded programs (read my earlier post as to where) and then rebooting, and reinstalling Flash. Works perfectly and FAST.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my4kitzrcool, well I'm glad that worked. I never even look at the Registry! LOL, I've heard it is dangerous. When you know what you are doing ok, but not me. I don't understand what the Registry key changed, perhaps uninstalling and downloading did it. In the final analysis

I don't believe it is Adobe's F.P. 10 update that is at fault. Microsoft has updates galore, patching IE6, IE7, IE8, many problems in 7 and more in 8, PLUS, SP1, SP2, SP3, Vista, and on and on and on. It is no wonder there are glitches; then XP, with the 3 Service Packs! If I had to write a program and take all of that into account...................!

Well glad your system is up and running.

Just a FYi, If anyone installs IE 8 and THEN SP3, and want to go back to IE7 or IE 6, they must UNINSTALL  the SP3 FIRST!!

So, if you or you know anyone that is going to go to IE8, give them this info, it will save big headaches & make you think F.P. 10 was a walk in the park!!  Install the SP3 FIRST and then IE8 if wanted.  I have done neither, I read a lot and research a lot.

Happy Computing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines