Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it this simple?

Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how I solved the problem that many of you are having.

I too, allowed the Flash Player Update when prompted. And

also some sites were telling to me install F.P. version 9 or higher.

I had Adobe check & I indeed did have 10.0.32.18 installed.

The websites were not recognizing it. After reading and doing

some research, I found out it is the SHOCKWAVE PLAYER Active

X in Internet Explorer that they were looking at. I went to Manage

Add Ons, updated the Shockwave Player Active X and Shazaam!

All is right with the world with Adobe Flash and Shockwave.

I do not use Firefox, so cannot address that. Hope this helps some

of you.

Update: I neglected to mention that you will need to restart your

computer after updating the Shockwave Player Active X add on.

Also if you want to know if your install worked, go to www.adobe.com/software/flash/about

and Adobe will tell you.

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Thank you for your post.

You can also test Shockwave and Flash player at http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2009 Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! I did not have Shockwave at all installed. So: I installed it successfully, then went to link in your post to check version of Flash. I downloaded it from there and the current 10....38...whatever was the version. OK. Went to YouTube: videos show up. Went to Farm Town on Facebook & it opened right up. I jumped to a friend's farm & upon returning to my own, got the IE crash box & needed to shut down. No other info given. Continue was the only option on this box. I did send error report to Microsoft with no type of reply page coming up. Any suggestions? or Deja Vu? I'm Low-tech so keep it simple & I'll give it a go! Thanks so much. It was simple for the short term anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, well, glad you had some progress, even if short term. Just to clarify: F.P. 10 has been confirmed by the Adobe link that it is installed?

In IE tools>manage add ons, you found Shockwave Flash Object, did you hi light it & "update active x"? Then rebooted?

When you say that IE crashed, did it say something to the effect that IE needed to close? Then you had the option to either send a report to Microsoft or not send? 

What version of Windows XP with Service Pack2, etc. Also what IE, 6, 7, 8?

Please review what I've stated & we can explore other options.

Hope we can get to the bottom of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I went to Manage Add Ons & Shockwave did not even show up. So I went directly to download it. I have not rebooted or re visited Manage add ons to see, and the word "object" was not seen by me. I did not update the active x since it did not show up at all on the Manage Add on box. I just X'd out & went to adobe to download Shockwave.

When the IE box came up during Farm Town play, it said "needed to close" with Continue as the only option. I did get a microsoft error report box & did send the report.

I upgraded to IE8 earlier today with no problems. I do not know what Service Pack 2 is, nor have I seen that anywhere that I can remember.

I did return to Farm Town & played a minute or so, then had to log out, so it did not crash during that time. I have another Farm I plan to play shortly that is more complicated than the one I "tested" on earlier.  I will reboot before trying that. If play resumes fine for a time I will gladly repost for you to know what is happening. Hope this all helps!

It was during play of Farm Town that this all started crashing for me. Then we couldn't get You Tube, or some news sites we like, so we were looking harder for a solution. The post "Is it this simple" has helped me already, as Flash all day download button went nowhere & I was thinking Adobe had turned it off until the solution was found.

But after I saw this post, downloaded Shockwave & went to the link to check the installation (the one I think YOU gave in your reply) it did not show Flash as installed, but allowed me a link  to do so--after Shockwave was installed and verified at the download page as installed correctly. THANKS! again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one other thing that you could look for, it is just a different way to find Shockwave Flash, IE may not  say object but go to Tools, click on Internet Explorer, click on Settings under the General Tab, click on Settings, click on View Objects, look for Shockwave Flash, RIGHT click on it; a small window should open up and an option should be Update, click on that and when finished, close everything and restart Windows. It is important that this Active X is updated.

If your system is brand new you probably have Windows XP SP3, if older it is probably SP2. If you want to know, go to Control Panel, look for System, right click, click open and under General Tab you should see info about Windows XP, etc.  You may have to click on Start, hold

mouse over All programs, find Accessories, hold mouse over that,hold mouse over Systems tools, then CLICK on System Information & you

should see the Version of Windows you are running.

Thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, thanks. I will try in the morning. too pooped to do it now! I just left

a post, guess you'll get it via email (?) Thanks again. it is better than it

was & YOU are the winner of the prize! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2009 Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. OK, round about I found the versions. I went thru internet

options/general tab > View Objects under temp internet files.

It shows: Shockwave Flash Object Properties: version 10,0,32,18 (a number

I've "seen" several times around. . .)

Shockwave Active X Control: version 11,2,1,601.

MS Windows XP, Home Ed. version 2002, Service Pack 2 (ahhh, there that is. .

. .)

So for whatever it is worth. That's the editions. I'm not sure I need to

update them now or not.

I am getting this morning on a news site "need to close" boxes.

and on the Adobe forum just now when trying to post this, I got "not

responding"

I am sending all error reports in case that helps from now on. The one just

now says it was "application hang".

We shall just see what happens.

Thanks to you so much for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning, I knew you could find it. I am now checking that error code to see what it means. Go back to Tools as you did and when

you find the Shockwave Flash Object, with the mouse, hi-light it, look for the little box that says "Update Active X", click on that and when it is finished, close your open windows and browser and Restart your computer. The error has something to do with this. Also, the file you said you saw listed as "Flash10c.ocx" is exactly what you want to see.

Please try this when you can and see if this clears the error. In the meantime, I'll let you know what I find on that error code you received.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will Do. Thanks for the help! You are a DOLL! ("Whew! good" on the 10c

thing)

Will update Active X

This will hopefully help lots of folks!

Til error code is "explained" then. . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shockwave Flash Object shows Installed w/same (I guess) properties. Now

there are 2 more lines below this on "Downloaded Program Files" as follows:

{E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7}, status Damaged, total size None.

Properties:

Type ActiveX Control

ID: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7}

CodeBase: http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab

Version Tab: 1.6.2.44

Dependency Tab: C:\windows\downloade...\GP.OCX* Damaged

C:\windows\downloade...\GP.INF* Damaged

C:\windows\system32\ATL.DLL*

Then a blank or untitled line with status Unknown, total size None with

nothing else on the line

Properties:

Type ActiveX Control

ID: <P ¨ Status: unknown CodeBase: (blank) Version Tab: Version: (blank) all other lines: <unknown>

Dependency tab:

many lines all file name * with differing size (bytes) then damaged.

Hope this helps someone. I am going to remove these 2 lines that show

damaged product and see how it goes. Let me know if I should do something

else, but I'm getting rid of this part for now. . . . Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I restarted the computer. Now YouTube videos mostly do not show. Red-x

boxes with title text showing.

Got a bellsouth accellerator error message box. was told to go thru them for

help. clicked ok.

tried another web page & "web page cannot display". Clicked go back &

youtube.com looks totally different. No pictures only titles/Xboxes and text

info down left column. I have messed up big time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read your last two posts. Did you get to Program files by going to Settings in Internet Exporer?

Do you use Google or Yahoo Tool bars?

Do you have IE 8 RC1 or the Final Release? To check, go to Help , and click on About Internet Explorer & note what version you have.

What add ons do you have listed under Manage Add Ons? Enable or Disabled?

It appears that these errors and IE needing to close are incompatibilites between IE and add ons & Google/Yahoo tool bars.

I'll see what can be done about your current problem. You may have deleted needed dependency files. Don't panic yet!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too LATE. Not panic, but "ready to get done with this attitude".

Here is info I compiled before lunch. After lunch I added the Here's what

I'm gonna do now lines & that is what I'm gonna do.

I cannot keep up with all the #s, orders & when (lowreally lowtechie

here). The error message may help someone else, but I'm gonna delete & start

all over with what worked. Thanks, I'll be watching to see what happens.

Error Report info:

BCCode : 4e BCP1 : 00000099 BCP2 : 000103EA BCP3 : 00000001

BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Which was followed by microsoft window saying/explaining "blue screen"

Then Our Norton security had a box saying: you do not have Flash player 9 or

greater installed. Click here & we will install it for you.

So: I did. then blank box appeared. "not responding". I X'd out. Nothing.

Won't open, won't close.

This is what I am going to do: Delete all Flash & Shockwave from my

computer. Go back thru the "is it this simple" post & re-do what I got

success with. Then stop & hopefully that will put me back where I was this

morning. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand you might feel overwhelmed. I do a lot of research before I make any change to my PC & would not suggest to you or anyone else to do anything that I myself have not done & know it is safe. This is a simple Adobe Flash Player update and I am astounded at some of the "advice" and "miracle cures" on this forum if someone has a problem. Anywhere from uninstalling I.E.vs so & so to reformatting the hard drive. There are valid reasons that some have a problem with this update.

1. Is the computer security set to not allow Active X updates?

2. Does your Anti-Virus /Anti-Spyware prevent Downloads?

3. Do you have your Security set too high to prevent an Installation?

4. Do you have 3rd party Tool Bars, such as Google or Yahoo, etc.  These are not for the most part compatible with IE

5. The misunderstanding that Flash Player Active X is a Browser Plug in, written to be compatible with IE, etc.

6. Failure to follow Adobe's procedures.

7. Always Download Any Adobe installation ONLY from the Adobe website. Other sites will download things you do not want.

Please understand when I say "your" or "you",  I do not mean you personally, just using general terms.

I would start over also, if I were you.

One other thing, Norton and McAfee are notorious for being bloated programs, along with AOL, these are my opinions after extensive research and reading forums that have many problems with them.

Hoping you get this resolved.:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again! Well, I deleted & reloaded Flash Player & Shockwave from the

Adobe site. So far, so good. I have played Farm Town & seen YouTube videos.

So I will leave it alone til I get another problem. Thanks for all your

help. The posting is good & working for those such as myself. Hope others

can benefit! See you out there. . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, that is good news!! Thanks for the update;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I rebooted & play Farm Town about 30 min when the crash box came back up it showed:

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

With:

Error Signature box:

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 8.0.6001.18702 ModName: flash10c.ocx

ModVer: 10.0.32.18 Offset: 00153eff

As you can see my flash 10 is 10c.ocx, not 10b as in other posts. Why? I do not know or care if it works!

The new upgraded IE 8 seems to keep the windows memorized to reopen them, so the game reloads automatically without having to go back thru Facebook like a was, so: an improvement! Yeah!

My windows is XP w/green button. I couldn't find where to get the version of that. It is not too new, but after 95--for what good that is. . .

After the crash box as above, I played til now, about 50 minutes and I think Farm Town itself crashed. It asked me to reload (I checked the green "ok" button) and it said "needed to close, would be back up in a while" or something like that. It's bedtime for me. so Thanks for all the posts. It has

helped me tremendously! I will check back to see if updates come along. Bye for now. . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wnt into Tools Manage Add ons, and could not find the option to update Shockwave. I see it, but I only have the option to enable or disable. It is currently enabled. Could you provide more detailed steps. Sorry, I am a bit anal. I have IE7 and finding that FP10 does not work for Quickbooks 2005. Quickbooks 5 keeps telling me to load FP7.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Macc50, Ok, that's find, it's enabled then.  Did you see the post a couple above yours where you can go to View Objects? Does that work? What version of F.P. do you have installed now? Did you go to the Adobe link to confirm which you have? It's always better to know what you have for certain.  Check on this first and post back. There are other versions you can install.  I'll need to get it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406791.html                    Macc50, ok, here is the link for the older versions

Look for the Windows download.  Just a word of caution, my understanding is that you must uninstall any version you have before installing again. I'm sure there are instructions there about that. If not, just search for "uninstalling F.P." in the Adobe search bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2009 Sep 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. I'll delete my version 10 FP that I loaded previously, and try this one. I'll let you know. Thank you

I have IE 7 and I don't have the option to update the add-ons for soem reason. I can only highlight them and enable or disable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2010 Feb 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been putting off diving full-on into my Flashplayer/ActiveX problem for months, but I'm too aggravated with it

and have the time to try to tackle it. I'm posting to this thread because it seems that my problem is related to the oned described

here, and I think the original poster seems to have a knack for solving and helping those of us low-tech with the solution.

My computer is running Vista 32-bit, I use IE8 exclusively, and have the most current Flash Player/shockwave installed, or so I believe. The problems I have are 2-fold: First most websites that use these add ons only show PART of the image in the area. I know, for instance, if I go to Farmtown on Facebook, I can right click and a Show All button will shrink the image to fit the space allowed, but with other games (my kids like Disney's online Pixie Hollow game - http://pixiehollow.go.com/), the image is cut off on the right and bottom and there's no obvious way to Show All (right click I get Flash Player 10 options, but cant' figure out what to do).

The OTHER problem I have is with the Microsoft Online games available at MSN.com. Many of these used to work on my old laptop, but on this one they look like they are downloading and then just have a black screen that says "Failed to Download and Click to Retry". I think it has to do with the ActiveX controls, but have no idea how to fix.

Any advice you can offer would be really appreciated. I am happy to give you any specifics about my machine/software to help you troubleshoot. I know these things aren't life-or-death, but its so frustrating that things just don't work the way you think they should!

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JSF111, Well, I was quite surprised that anyone was even able to find this thread:-) May I please suggest to you to

start a new thread? You can use any subject title you like; Flash Player IE8 not working, or any similar. That way you will be the author. It will get confusing since I was the author on this one and I'll be helping you.

Thank you.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JSF111, if you prefer to stay on this thread, that is ok too. I went to the pixie website and had no trouble bringing it up.

I didn't go any further than that.

In IE8 add ons, look for "View & manage your Internet Explorer add-ons" There is a "All add-ons" with a drop down menu.

Look for Shockwave Flash Object....ActiveX Contol....Flash10d.ocx and make sure it is Enabled.  I am told there are 2 other sections where the add-ons are listed in IE8. Look for them and try to find and post back the Java entries. I don't need version#'s.

Then go to Start, click on Control Panel, and double click on Programs & Features. Here you will look for and post back all

Java program listings, with the version #'s.  While you are there, check and see if there is an entry DLM or Adobe Download Manager and/or GetPlus.  You might also post back all Adobe listings.

The Adobe test site is here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about which will confirm FP install & version#.

This information will give us a foundation to proceed from.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great!  That helps alot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines