• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeps asking to install Flash PLayer when I already have??? Help Please!!!

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2010 Jan 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash player worked perfectly fine on my computer and I've had it for about 2 years. But now for the past 2 weeks whenever I turn off the computer or log off the next time I sign in it says I need to install flash player. I have installed it many times but it keeps doing the same thing. I'm tired of installing it everyday so some one please help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 100 Replies 100
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2010 Jan 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the ActiveX install already and that didn't do anything. You should be able to choose just the Clean p which is what I was trying but i keep getting that error message. So i guess I can try the full scan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that didn't work. You have everything in Flash Folder or at least you did. And you had Shockwave Flash Object in add ons even tho it didn't say Flash10d.ocx. I just cannot think what you could have on your computer that is blocking

all of the websites from recognizing it. Adblock I know but I think that's a Firefox plugin. We haven't went over what else you have in the add ons. What about your Java? There are a couple of Java add ons that many people have problems with and they disable them.

Perhaps tomorrow if you want to take a look at the balance of your add ons.

Since we've uninstalled/installed, you may want to confirm the status of your Flash Folder/and Shockwave Flash Object

not tonight but tomorrow.

Thanks Gagan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah the scanner isn't working an error code keeps coming up: 0x0c600c03

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have got to be kidding me! Well, I found a Community Page about Scanner problems. Like we don't have enough.

I'll take a look to see if they have the error code list! LOL  Perhaps tomorrow it will run for you. I guess the regular scanner is where they said it couldn't run on your OS or browser.

They can say what they want about XP and IE6, but with all of the problems I have seen with Vista, IE7 and IE8, no way.

When MS and others secure the OS and the browsers so you can't even use the computer, then what is the point? That

is how I feel about Vista/IE7/IE8. And that is exactly why I am keeping my XPSP3 and IE6! It works and that is what I would tell MS if they asked. 🙂 But I am going to give them some feedback. I always take their surveys and voice my opinion.

Take a break tomorrow is another day!

You've been a trooper today, thanks for the teamwork!

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gagan, here is the link for the discussion on the Scanner:

http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/board.aspx?BoardID=225 

It appears a lot of what you encounterd is being discussed. I think it's important to run the Scan. I never used a Registry

Cleaner on my computer. Microsoft I trust so that is why I used the Scanner. Glad I did, it certainly helped my PC.

Hope things get resolved.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2010 Jan 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again... I looked through some of those threads and tried what they said but it didn't work. I opened my own thread so hopefully I'll get some feed back with that soon. What else can we try.. I mean didn't you say something about checking add-ons? Thank you! you've been a great help and I'm sorry nothing is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gagan, do you mean you posted to that old 2007 thread that you referenced yesterday? Or do you mean you started an entirely new thread? This thread is yours. I'm confused:-)

I think it would be a good idea to start with a look at the Flash folder and confirm that those 4 files are still there. Also, the

install.log, take a look at that and see if you can determine anything that could not be accomplished. I was able to see from mine yesterday that when I updated and didn't find the Shockwave Flash Object in my own add ons, that it was because I had forgotten to Reboot:-) So maybe you can glean some info that would be helpful.

After confirming the Flash folder contents, confirm that Shockwave Flash Object is still in the add ons, vs# if there and

if Flash10d.ocx is there or anything of Shockwave Flash Object.

On the add ons: It would not hurt to list them with version numbers if they are listed, include any Toolbars you may use.

Also, check Add/Remove and list what of Adobe is there, include any Java listings.

We determined yesterday that you did not have any trouble uninstalling. The issue is the Shockwave Flash Object and we tried several ways to accomplish that with no success. The only sure way that I know of is the Uninstall. We either have a

block when uninstalling(removing any old SFO ActiveX) or installing the new SFO ActiveX) But that it is the SFO there is no doubt in my mind. So we will target anything that might prevent a clean uninstall or a clean install.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was talking about the windows saftey scan forum. The link you gave me, I posted a new thread there to see if someone can help with that because I tried and couldn't get it to work. Ok here is everything in the flash folder and the add ons.

Flash Folder:
Flash10d.ocx

flashplayer.xpt

Flashutil10d

install

NPSWF32.dll

NPSWF32_FlashUtil
uninstall_activex

uninstall_plugin

I don't remember seeing these in the folder yesterday:

NPSWF32.dll

NPSWF32_FlashUtil
flashplayer.xpt

Add-ons:

Shockwave ActiveX Control 11.5.2.602 Enabled
Shockwave Flash Object 10.0.42.34 Enabled

Norton Toolbar 2009.7.0.0 Enabled

Symantec Intrusion Prevention 9.0.5.0 Enabled

Symantec NCO BHO 2009.7.0.0 Enabled

Java Plug-In 1.6.0_17 (says this one 3 times)

Java Plug-In 1.6.0_17

Java Plug-In 1.6.0_17

Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper

Uninstall a Program:

Java (TM) 6 Update 3

Java (TM) 6 Update 5

Java (TM) 6 Update 17

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would uninstall flash player, you have too much junk in that flash directory. Don't forget to reboot...

Also clean that registry of yours, I bet its a mess..

Also under View and Manage your Internet Explorer Add ons, make sure you show Currently Loaded Add-Ons, and not show All Add Ons. I have noticed the All Add Ons is bogus, and didn't help me out at all. The Shock Wave Flash Object should show up in the Currently Loaded Add-Ons. The date of that flash object should be 11/2/2009, and of course enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nep7tune, I read your thread, glad you resolved your problem.

Gagan and I worked all day yesterday on this and have it narrowed down now. However, you are incorrect on the date of

the Shockwave Flash Object, Adobe came out in Dec.  the 8th or 10th with the version 10.0.42.34. The date has no affect in any way, the websites are not looking for a date, they are looking for the correct version, which he has.

Just wanted to clear that up, don't want any confusion and get off track.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flash object shows up in the run without permission and downloaded controls section not currently loaded add-ons section. Does that make a difference? Because in the currently loaded section there is only the Java SSV Helper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has to show in the currently loaded add ons... The browser is not finding it... I think it might be a registry problem.. I would clean your registry.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nep7tune, with all due respect, we have this under control. You had a problem, you started a thread and solved your

problem. However we don't need confusion like I said. Please just don't continue with your suggestions. If you have a lot of experience with Flash Player, there are many other threads that you could offer your expertise on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did my own research on cleaning the registry, and some experts suggest not to do it. So, I retract my earlier statement on cleaning the registry, as a suggestion on fixing his problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi...The date of my Shock Wave Flash Object is correct, 11/2/2009, version 10.0.42.34. I just looked at it in the Flash Directory. But you are correct. The file date does not matter, as people have different Operating Systems, Browsers, and the files to download could be on different adobe servers with different dates.. The version is all that matters...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Ok, I agree on the additional 3 that was not there yesterday. We will take care of them in a little bit.

The good news Gagan, is that you have Shockwave Flash Object 10.0.42.34!!!!! Finally!

Here is what I want you to try: Disable the Java (tm) plug-in 2 SSV Helper in add ons. Then check a website.

If the website does not work, go back and enable it and disable the Symantec BHO Helper and try a website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YAY!! ok atleast we're getting somewhere.. umm I tried disabling the Java helper but it didn't work so i enabled it and then disabled the BHO helper but that didn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that's fine. However it does not mean that they are not involved. Add ons will and do conflict with ActiveX and also with each other.

Now, let's do this: You have 9 add ons listed. To speed things up and save time, let's number then in the order you listed

them. #1 thur #9

Go back in the Disable #3, 4, 5 and 9.  Then try a website.

Just follow my instructions, what matters is whether they are Disabled or Enabled. Don't get off track:-)

Message was edited by: eidnolb  add comment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok that didn't work..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, no problem. Go to Add/Remove and list every Adobe listing, including if there is a DLM(download manager)

Before we start removing files, I need to know what is there.

Thanks  You can just leave the add ons as they are for the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok in the uninstall or a change a program there is:

Adobe AIR
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX

Adobe Flash Player 10 PlugIn

Adobe Media Player

Adobe Reader 8.1.4

Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5

I don't see the download manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gagan, Have you ever installed Firefox? The 3 additional add ons are FF related and the Adobe Flash Player 10

Plugin in your Add/Remove is the plugin that would be listed for FF.

Oops, I meant the 3 additional listed in the Flash folder.

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah I did yesterday, I was tired of the whole IE not working so I thought I'd delete IE and just use firefox but I'm not really used to FF so I just kept IE hoping it would work today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, well then is FF working with the websites? And do you want to keep it?

Each browser is independent of the other, so those entries in the Flash folder should not interfere.

Now I don't know what add ons, plugins or extenstions are  listed for FF. I'd rather not try solving FF and IE issues at the same time. I have before and it is not an easy thing to do.

You have 2 old Java entries that need to be removed. Keep only the Java 6 update 17. Remove the other 2 and Reboot.

The websites look for Java also.

On the add ons and their placement, without permission/currently loaded is not an issue with IE6 which I use. Only the

fact if they are Enabled or Disabled. Since you use IE8, I don't know if where they are placed is an issue or not. If it is, then are you saying that the first 8 of your add ons in IE would not be functioning? Then we would have to conclude that

Adobe, Norton and Java did not know where to place them and didn't know you were using IE8? Or after they are installed, then you the user have to move them? Can you? Is that how it works? I have never heard of this so can't say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines