• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac installation says Safari is open, but it is not.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPBr

OSX 10.8.3

Adobe Flash Player Version 11.7.700.169

Tried to install newest version of flash player when prompted.

Flash installer says that Safari is open and it can not continue, so I check my tasks and Safari is not open. I open safari and then close it with CMD+Q to ensure all instances are closed. This does not work.

Restart my computer to ensure that safari isn't open. Attempt installation again with fresh restart. Flash installer says that Safari is open and it can not continue.

Can not install newest version of Flash, nor can I locate information pertaining to this issue.

Any help is appreciated (assuming that it's not a problem with the latest installer which will be remedied shortly).

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

@Mike M - Agreed!

Note: Before using my method above, Safari was completely shut down and was not "lit".  Users should definitely check to ensure Safari is completely closed, before taking further measures.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2013 Jul 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I gave you a solution, and you knew better than the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Touché. To your credit, going forward, I'll be advising people running Safari to check their preferences on relaunch. It would appear that there is something lately that is changing the preference, but the rest of my advice will remain, as it is still valid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it worked great tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2014 Dec 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike M has the answer: his recommendations worked for me. I was stuck with a stalled Flash installer like everybody else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and it did let me install and came up with a 'success' message but Flash is still not working. I really think I'll dump anything which requires Flash, as I have already done on my own websites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling Adobe and then installing the new Flash Plug-in worked for me.  I assume this is because I had the old plug in running in the background, and this is what the new one thought was "Safari".  Either way, this worked on my iMac and my Macbook Air.  Happily.  Thank you very much, der1004.  great job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, Late 2012 MacMini with Mountain Lion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2013 Apr 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Restarted as well, and Flash Installer was the first thing I ran. Apparently Safari managed to bypass time and space to run first.

Machine is a late 2010 iMac with Mountain Lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue. I was prompted to update Adobe Flash. When I attempted to follow said direction, but was directed by the installer to "please quit the following program to continue". It listed Safari as being open, but under Force Quit in the Apple menu, Safari does not show as open. In checking the Activity Monitor as suggested above, I don't see any process that relates to Safari.

Adobe, please either stop having Flash tell me to update to a version that is impossible to install or fix the thing so it can install properly. This is a frustrating waste of time -- not a good thing from a user experience.

My setup: MacBook Pro OS X version 10.8.3

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I did, and it seems to be working(!)

is I opened Finder

and saw Adobe under devices.

I "ejected" it

closed Safari.

went to my downloads (again) and double-clicked to install Adobe Flash and it worked (didn't say Safari was open, went past 50%...completed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add my helpful solution to this problem:

1) Go to Activity Monitor (search in the spotlight for "Activity Monitor" if you don't know where the app is)

2) Under the CPU tab, look for "Flash...." and quit that process

3) Install Flash update as per usual

My comps issue was that Safari was closing, but apparently the flash plug-in was not.  I needed to stop Flash to update Flash

Hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A common mistake (especially among people who have newly switched to Mac from Windows) is the misperception that closing the Safari window closes the app... it doesn't. As long as it's still "lit" in the dock, it's open.

dock.jpg

That's why the "clean install" instructions include a hard reboot. To kill all running apps and processes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mike M - Agreed!

Note: Before using my method above, Safari was completely shut down and was not "lit".  Users should definitely check to ensure Safari is completely closed, before taking further measures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike M, your suggestion for rebooting ingores the fact that, depending how your system is set up, your computer may restart Safari on reboot, either because it was open before or because it is set as a Login item. In any case, rebooting shouldn't be necessary. Adobe used to include a utility in the installer which allowed you to force Safari to close and killed associate processes at the same time. It would save a lot of trouble if they reintroduced that. Also, there are other programs, such as FaceTab, which will cause the Flash installer to say that Safari is running (perhaps they are using WebKit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danckwerts wrote:

Mike M, your suggestion for rebooting ingores the fact that, depending how your system is set up, your computer may restart Safari on reboot, either because it was open before or because it is set as a Login item. In any case, rebooting shouldn't be necessary. Adobe used to include a utility in the installer which allowed you to force Safari to close and killed associate processes at the same time. It would save a lot of trouble if they reintroduced that. Also, there are other programs, such as FaceTab, which will cause the Flash installer to say that Safari is running (perhaps they are using WebKit).

The option to "reopen windows on restart" (meanign to restore applications) and the login items are BOTH user set. The reopening when the reboot is executed, by checkign a box specificaly to do that, and the other in the system preferences, requiring entry of the admin password before apps can be added. Anyone who has knows how to do either, would certainly know that a reboot withthe box checked would reopen Safari, and would know that they have to terminate the process manually. Most people DON'T have Safari set as a login item, however. There are some "widgets" that will try to connect through Safari, and Facetab can a f;ase positive too, but onyl if it's a login item.

It would be nice to have the force quit in the installer, but as one of the top posters in the Apple forums told me, OS X has changed since 10.6, to be more like iOS.  One of the significant changes with Lion and it was refined in Mt. Lion and Mavericks, is the "Gatekeeper" which keeps apps from running if the developer can't be identified. If Apple lags on updating Gatekeeper definitions, a brand new update launching the force quit would hit a snag at that point and people would be right back here asking what to do. Not having it facilitates the install IMHO.

Currently I'm running 10.6.8, 10.7.5, 10.8.5 and 10.9 and I haven't run into the "You must close Safari" warning when it was closed. I don't use Facetab, and I only have widgets installed on my Mavericks machine. I've trashed them all on the others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, Mike, but you seemed to think you might be addressing newcomers to the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot of them out there. And when I went through knowledge writing training, I was taught to "respectfully treat everyone who may see what I write as if they had just seen a computer for the first time.

That means detail, detail, detail, and never assume anyone knows anything, so include every step, whether I think it's necessary or not."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something that I've had a problem with for ages but just found the solution. Like everyone here I kept getting the 'close Safari' message even though I never use Safari and it's never running. However I did have a program called Menu Tab Pro installed which basically give you direct access to Facebook and it was this that was using the Safari Flash plugin! Disabling this then allowed me to install the update no problem at all. If anyone has this program installed on their Mac or quite possibly any similar app may well find that closing these programs will solve your issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another FYI to those finding their way here. The hint that helped me was the mention of WebKit. I use the app Fluid. Fluid is a very handy app that allows the user to create custom web browsers. For example I use it to have an isolated browser for Facebook. This disconnects all the BS that FB & other websites use to track your account and "refine" their knowledge of the user. Because it uses WebKit it apparantly looks like Safari to the installer which then wrongfully complains about Safari being open. All I needed to do was to close the Fluid browser (& Safari, of course) and it worked.

Frankly I was getting to the point where I was considering banashing Flash altogether. The recent method Adobe uses to install the app (via a web browsers) is probably causing all sorts of problems for users who are willing to figure it out. Give the historical problems with Flash & security as well causing crashes, it probably will remain a serious issue for Mac users for a long time. I never like installation methods that "guide" the user through some process that includes online use of a browser. They are susceptible to all sorts of issues. It is this issue that now makes me hesitate to use the "Creative Cloud".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2014 Jun 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this close safari problem….I did not understanbd anything that you wrote above..sorry I am not a techie.  what do i do to ghet SAdobe Flash player to download?  thanks jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with downloading Pro.  Where is direct help with downloads through a real human?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is an old thread. Could you please try a new thread stating the exact problem you are facing with details about the OS. Also, if adding a snapshot would help debug/identify issue please do so.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 18, 2014 Oct 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did it for me. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2014 Dec 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! it was as simple as that. Nothing complicated really, but needed to be put out there. So yea thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines