• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac installation says Safari is open, but it is not.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPBr

OSX 10.8.3

Adobe Flash Player Version 11.7.700.169

Tried to install newest version of flash player when prompted.

Flash installer says that Safari is open and it can not continue, so I check my tasks and Safari is not open. I open safari and then close it with CMD+Q to ensure all instances are closed. This does not work.

Restart my computer to ensure that safari isn't open. Attempt installation again with fresh restart. Flash installer says that Safari is open and it can not continue.

Can not install newest version of Flash, nor can I locate information pertaining to this issue.

Any help is appreciated (assuming that it's not a problem with the latest installer which will be remedied shortly).

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

@Mike M - Agreed!

Note: Before using my method above, Safari was completely shut down and was not "lit".  Users should definitely check to ensure Safari is completely closed, before taking further measures.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me - you have to Quit any installation that would use FLASH -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly this problem too, and found this thread. In case this is useful to anyone else, I used activity monitor to search for "flash." I found a program called Menu Tab Pro, a front end for Facebook, was using the flash player on my MacBook Pro. Once I quit that program, I could successfully install flash.

From the above I would suggest that it appears that the latest flash installer cannot identify correctly what applications are using it on a Mac. If it cannot identify the application, it defaults to "Safari." Because Safari is closed, most users receive no useful information from the flash installer to help them install flash. Identifying what is using flash in the activity monitor by searching for flash, and closing the application using flash enables the flash install. A test at the adobe site after the install confirms the latest version. Also, a plugin check with Firefox confirms the latest install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just successful in installing the update...

Go to "Activity Monitor", find the item "Dock" and click the close button. The Dock will relaunch. Then click "Retry" on the installer and it should allow you to continue the installation.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Menu Tab" (Apparently a Facebook plugin) has been causing some troubles too as it gives an indication that Safari is running. If anyone uses MenuTab, be sure to "kill it" using Activity Monitor BEFORE installing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi guys,

i tried to install same problem occur. But I open the safari, n close it by short cut (command +q), and re entry

and  it works for me...:):):):):)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone I am not professional by no means but this is what I did. I downloaded the program, saved it to desktop and then logged out of my computer completely. I logged back in opened the program that I save to my desktop and woohoo It download completely hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2014 Jun 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haji there,

this is pretty simple, click on the apple logo on top left corner, click on force quit and remove safari and mail box, then click retry , it will work

naz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem and I don't know if my solution will apply to anyone else but once I closed NetNewsWire the demand for Safari to close disappeared the the install completed,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem in the past...about a year ago...searched for solutions, found one and installed Flash, A few months later it happened again and having forgotten the solution went through the same process again and now it has happened a third time. I can't keep looking for solutions. It just isn't god enough! It is Adobe's responsibility to sort out this issue which has been dragging along for ages and wasting a lot of time of a lot of people!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also being told to close safari and chrome when they are closed, it's so annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone else is having the issue where the Flash install is asking you to close Safari when you know it's closed, try this:

1. Open activity monitor: Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor

2. Find a process called WebkitPluginAgent and force that to quit.

3. Then retry the flash install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2014 Dec 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2014 Dec 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

53. Re: Mac installation says Safari is open, but it is not.

hellohelloworldworlddCommunity Member

If anyone else is having the issue where the Flash install is asking you to close Safari when you know it's closed, try this:

1. Open activity monitor: Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor

2. Find a process called WebkitPluginAgent and force that to quit.

3. Then retry the flash install.

THIS SOLUTION WORKS!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. Restart your mac and log back in….DON'T get back on the internet

steps:

1) look at the top left of your screen and there is a drop down menu called "Go" HOVER OVER THAT

2) CLICK DOWNLOADS from the drop down menu

3) select the ADOBE FLASH ONE

it should take you through the process again without using safari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2014 Aug 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I had the same problem. But I have solved it. I found it quite annoying that is said that safari was opening but it is not. To resolve this, press Command + alt + esc. This will show a pop up bar with all the programs that are running still. Click on safari and press Force Quit. There you go! All resolved. Hope this was helpful

Kind regards,

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why does everyone complicate everything?  just right click on safari and click quit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem on my MacBook, tried several times and finally it worked after I held my mouse down over Safari so options would pop up (show all windows, new window, options, hide and quit. I clicked quit and the download completed. Hope this can help anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found in an Apple forum that pressing the Command key (the one with the pretzel logo) + Q closes the safari program; tested it and was able to install Adobe in my Mac. Hope it works for other users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I have found a fix in relation to the above issue.

After exiting Safari, click on Safari from the main task bar and select "Quite Safari".

This worked for me, hope it helps you too.

AShamolli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean to chuckle , So I'm at my mothers and she hands me her new mac book (note Ive never messed with mac) i always had windows . She says look Im heading out to work can you "get this frigging adobe flash shit to play my videos I have to leave for work" I look in mystery like "your asking the wrong person for that. SO i take to google , run a search and first thing pops up while typing in "installing adobe flash player says safari is open but its not" so Im reading and reading and reading.......................and reading and nothing . I mean everything that everyone was saying was happening now mind you my installer was at 97% because soon as it said retry I'de just smash that retry,retry,retry and I got to 97% so as I am reading I see someone say I tried ctrl+q so I close out safari and hold control and tap that Q and Bam safari pops up and says successful download , now just to make sure Im like "that did it?" i open youtube.com type in my peeps PVP thats "prankvsprank" to see if they have any new videos and wahla flash player works perfect.  "I don't care who you are that was funny" thanks everyone even y'all from start all the way from April 2013. hahaha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution to be able to continue installing Flash Player (Safari seems not to be closed, but actually is):

-  Go to menu to force programs by clicking:     "Command + Option + Escape" - buttons

-  Go to 'Finder' > 'mark' it > and click:                "Force Stop"-button      * [right-under]

-  "Finder' will restart and you wil be able to continue with the installing

Good Luck!

* since I have a Dutch version of OSX 10.10.1 I am not sure of the name of the button, but just click on in..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a solution, when it says you need to close safari, all you do is press and hold the safari icon at the bottom and then press quit, this gets rid of anything to do with safari thats open and lets you install it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not solve it for me.  I had to also kill WebkitPluginAgent via Activity Monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Click apple icon in top left corner of screen.

2. Select Force Quit

3. Close Safari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried most of the above but still had acrobat reader open

i simply closed that and it went past 28% and completed, even though safari was closed and had no plug ins running...

bizzarre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines