• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera not detected by Flash Player on Chrome (Ubuntu)

Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since today Flash Player doesn't seem to be detecting my cam. By using WebRTC the camera still displays normally. When I go into the Flash Player camera settings no camera seems to be detected. I'm using the latest version of Chrome and I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.

I hope you'll be able to help me

TOPICS
OS , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Pretty much.  If the website supports HTTPS but doesn't have it on by default, an extension like HTTPS Everywhere might work for you.  Otherwise, basically any other browser would work at this point.  Ultimately, Chrome's goal is for you to put pressure on the content provider to help protect your privacy, by enabling HTTPS on all Camera and Mic streams.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome now requires that all content requesting camera/microphone access be served over HTTPS.  This includes Flash content.  If the content is *not* served over HTTPS, then you won't even be presented with the Chrome's camera/microphone permission dialog.  Since Chrome mediates access from Flash Player to the Camera/Microphone dialog, this means that the camera will not be visible to Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, so if I get it right there's nothing to do about my problem unless the website switches to https right ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much.  If the website supports HTTPS but doesn't have it on by default, an extension like HTTPS Everywhere might work for you.  Otherwise, basically any other browser would work at this point.  Ultimately, Chrome's goal is for you to put pressure on the content provider to help protect your privacy, by enabling HTTPS on all Camera and Mic streams.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@jeromiec83223024: my flash player camera app is inside an iframe, even though its over https chrome couldn't detect my camera. I am running on mac, latest chrome, can you please help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about on phones.... IOS and Android OS? The end user is affected greatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@willp63378744

Flash is not supported on iOS (never was) nor Android (support was dropped several years ago).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines