• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Plugin after 2020 CEFSharp Browser

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have built a CEFSharp WinForms application (C# windows application). CEFSharp vesion 79.x.x

1. Will this run after 2020? The application will download the Flash dlls(FlashUtil32_32_0_0_371_pepper.dll) from our intranet site.

2. How can I test now (before 31st December), whether the app will continue to work after 2020.

3. Can I distribute the FlashUtil32_32_0_0_371_pepper.dll along with my application.

Kindly provide your insights.

Kind Regards

Syed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Also, the starting point for testing the timebomb is to set the computer clock. Not just January 1 2021 but try different dates. You can't prove it will work, but you can show it if won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

I believe that direct distribution of Flash Player without a license is a violation of our EULA.  We offer free distribution licenses to enteprise system administrators, which allows them to distribute Flash Player to their managed clients.  We don't generally provide licenses to application developers bundling our binaries in their installers.

You can find more details on the Flash Player EOL in the guide below. 

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that you would need to arrive at a li

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to clarify - you have a standalone application that plays Flash content and uses Flash dll files?

I would say that it should still run after 2020.  If your application is not relying on downloading anything from the Adobe site, whatever you have created should remain independant. I don't think the dlls have any timebomb within them to prevent them working after 2020.

As an example, Adobe Director could create standalone executables that could play Shockwave content (with dlls) well after Shockwave was discontinued and no longer supported. Shockwave no longer is supported in a browser but can work in Director exectuables. The same applies to Flash. If Director works on your OS, you can still use it and create apps that use Flah or other content no longer playable in a brower. I know with Director apps, you can distrubute the content and the dlls that area needed to make it work.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to test the application before end 31st Dec2020 that CEFSharp based application I have developed  will after 2020.

Kind Regards

Syed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The application will download the Flash dlls(FlashUtil32_32_0_0_371_pepper.dll) from our intranet site." Presumably you have a Flash Player redistribution license for your company. But bear in mind it will expire in the coming year and will not be renewed. That would put you in breach. If you don't have a license today you may not distribute or even go to other people's machines and install it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let me know, how to get the distribution license for the flash.

What is the pricing?

Kind Regards

Syed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/flashplayer/distribution.html

Current licenses, free. I don't know if licenses are still being granted so late in the product cycle. If not, and when your license expires, you would need to talk to Harman. Price with Harman is by negotiation, and people have mentioned 5 figure sums per year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the starting point for testing the timebomb is to set the computer clock. Not just January 1 2021 but try different dates. You can't prove it will work, but you can show it if won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C#FlashUtil32_32_0_0_371_pepper.dllCEFSharpvesion79.x.x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that direct distribution of Flash Player without a license is a violation of our EULA.  We offer free distribution licenses to enteprise system administrators, which allows them to distribute Flash Player to their managed clients.  We don't generally provide licenses to application developers bundling our binaries in their installers.

You can find more details on the Flash Player EOL in the guide below. 

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that you would need to arrive at a licensing agreement for Flash Player with HARMAN, if you wanted to distribute an application that bundles Flash Player binaries moving forward.

More details on the enteprise EOL and HARMAN's ongoing support for Flash can be found here:

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/enterprise-end-of-life.html

For completeness, here's the EOL announcement from 2017: 

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the info. That helps.

We will be porting to HTML5 version, as this is a small scale in house product and seems the cost of distribution is high.

Thanks

Syed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines