I have win7 64 bit on my desktop and win7 32 bit on my laptop. I recently upgraded my php to 5.6.2 and amfphp to 2.2.2. As a result I had to modify several AS3 scripts to access my data. I got the scripts working on my 32 bit laptop, but they looked "fractured" on 64 bit.
I know that the 64 bit flash player installer now installs both a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version of flash player.
Is there a way to specify that these AS3 scripts are to use the 32 bit flash player when launching with 32 bit Firefox on a 64 bit system?
The bitness of the plug-in or host browser shouldn't affect how your content renders. There *is* a difference in the rendering pipeline and plug-in sandboxes between 32 and 64-bit Firefox, and I suspect that your problems may lie there (if it's really 32 vs 64 bit that's the differentiator -- it might be something entirely different).
A link to something I could actually look at would be really useful. Screenshots might give me a frame of reference, but this is really hard to answer in the abstract.
I'm not using 64 bit Firefox, I'm using 32 bit. The animations work perfectly on win 7 32 bit with Firefox 32 bit. So I don't think viewing the animations is going to help answer my question. It seems clear that the animations are running with the 64 bit Flash Player evidenced by size distortions in parts of them and because some of them won't run at all.
OK so I installed Firefox 64 bit and I'm seeing the same results ("fractured" animations, distorted, broken images). So the problem was not Firefox 32 bit. Here's where you can see the animations: flashdatadesign :: AS3 Animations
Just for clarity, the bitness of Flash Player is dependent on the bitness of the host browser. If you're running a 32-bit browser on a 64-bit OS, you're still going to get the 32-bit Flash Player. The only case where you'll get 64-bit Flash Player at runtime is when you're running a 64-bit browser on a 64-bit operating system.
I was able to reproduce this on Win7 x64 with Firefox 54.0b4 (32-bit), but upgrading to the latest beta - Firefox 54.0b6 (32-bit) seems to resolve it. I'm using the latest publicly available Flash Player (184.108.40.206) to test. For completeness, I'm also unable to reproduce the problem on Chrome or IE on Win7 x64, or on Firefox with MacOS 10.12.
Mozilla has been doing a lot of work on their rendering pipeline, and I suspect that the behavior you're seeing is fallout from that. Since it's already fixed, it's just a matter of waiting for the changes to propagate to the release builds. They're on a 6-week cycle, so assuming those fixes get promoted in the next release, you should see them land relatively soon.
Thanks for researching this issue. Apparently I'll have to wait a while to see if Firefox is going to be able to handle my animations. I'm going to wait for the latest mods to Firefox to be completed before I mark your answer correct.
Yes! Most of my animations are running correctly again. There's noticeable lag time with keyboard nav in some of the games, but I trust that the engineers at Mozilla know that already are working on it.
Thanks again for doing a great job of research.