Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I convert a PDF into FrameMaker

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Is there a free, simple tool available for converting a PDF file into a reasonable FrameMaker file?

If so, could you please pass the name of the tool on to me?

The pdf contains text, images and tables.

I would be happy if I could get the text into reasonable shape with an import into a FrameFile.

The tables and images I can do manually.

Kindest regards,

Fred Gerke

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Is there a free, simple tool available for converting a PDF file into a reasonable FrameMaker file?

PDF is basically device-independent Postscript, and not a editable document format. Anything that purports to convert a PDF into editable mark-up is going to have to make a lot of guesses about structure, flow, and how to optimally recover images. Tables could be a particular problem, as they are likely to be just text strings at page coordinates, fenestrated by vector lines (i.e. not really tables)

When I had to do this in the past, I'd copy out the text as plain-text, and use Illustrator to deconstruct pages for optimal image recovery (keeping vectors as vectors, and grabbing rasters at native res).

Tables might be just saved as EPS from IL, and imported as-is.

Yep, essentially, you're re-creating the document.

If the PDF has certain forms of security, this all gets a lot harder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another approach might be to open the PDF in Acrobat Pro DC and save as a DOCX. You can then import the DOCX into FrameMaker and post edit it.

Quality of the result depends on the PDF and how it was created, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. But is there a step by step process for taking a page in FrameMaker 6.0 and making a pdf of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The question was, how to convert a PDF into an editable FrameMaker file.

When you want to create a PDF from a FrameMaker file in FrameMaker 6, then select the Adobe PDF printer and print to a PostScript file. Then distill this PS file to a PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fairly often deal with this situation by saving as plain text and then tagging the results as MML for easy import. No need to faff around joining up lines in paragraphs, for one thing; and this approach also lets me put in placeholder paragraphs for graphics and tables, and mark italic/bold if need be. (or mark, say, code-strings as italic and then apply the correct character style in FM)

A pity FM won't (as far as I know) read CALS tables …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines