• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot change file information in FrameMaker 2019

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A third party created a template for us and entered some sample (nonsensical) text in the Title and Subject fields of the File Info dialog. When I delete that information, click Set, and close & save the file, the deleted information comes back when I reopen it. I can't get rid of it! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

File Info sample.png

TOPICS
FAQ , Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

IIRC that's always been a bug in FM - I think you have to blank out the text and leave a space as a placeholder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC that's always been a bug in FM - I think you have to blank out the text and leave a space as a placeholder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jeff! That did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not nonsense. That's from the "Parts Catalog" that Adobe provides as sample text for the various tutorials you can use. See C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2019\Samples\PartsCatalog for the files.

Jeff suggests one workaround. For me, what I do is create a blank document using the Portrait template, then I import all the formats from the other document except for the Document Properties. 

ETA: Oh, yes, and remember to create a brand-new book file from scratch, too, or it'll reappear. The book file stores those properties and I've yet to find a way to get rid of them. Sometimes Frame is like playing whack-a-mole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's nonsense is that this has apparently "always been a bug," per Jeff's response above, and Adobe has done nothing about it. I'm finding a lot of annoying problems like this.

Thanks for the workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bloody nuisance, yes, but apparently not enough people have complained about it to Adobe. I think the rationale is that if you are creating a new document based on an old one, you'd want the file info information copied too since that generally happens because you're adding a new chapter to a book.

That doesn't explain why it's impossible to delete the information, though. 🙂

Put a bug in. I'll vote for it.

ETA: And by not nonsense, I meant that it's obvious your third-party template creator used the FrameMaker sample files to create your template for you, or at least used a file that had used those files as a starting point, because that's the File Info from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There is already a bug report in the Adobe Tracker.

The bug number is: FRMAKER-6903

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-6903 

The report is for FrameMaker 13 and not 15. You might vote for it and add a comment.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. It's a stupid, trivial annoying itch, and it can't be that hard of a fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Winfried. I have voted and added a comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please fix. This is annoying, and seems very basic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@VeraD - commenting here won't help push the needle much - you need to vote on the Tracker bug itself to register with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines