• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Capture Replacement Group Doesn't Work in ExtendScript

Contributor ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem using capture replace groups in my Find/Change script.  For example, I'm fixing missing hyphenation in phrases.  I find "aim off points" using \b([Aa]im[ ]?off[ ]?point)([s]?) and replace it with aim-off point$2, which should give me "aim-off points" as my replacement. My find/replace works perfectly using FMs Find/Change panel (see below).  When I try it in my script I get this result:  aim off pointaim-off points$2. The $2 capture group searches for the plural of "points."  In my script tester I am using this to mimic the FM Find/Change panel:

FindReplace ("\\b([Aa]im[ ]?off[ ]?point)([s]?)", "aim-off point$2");  I've searched the blogs, reviewed K. Daube's Find/Change PDF, and tried various syntax combinations, without luck.  Any help much appreciated. 

Find Panel.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fightengator, I would use another RegEx:

Search:       \b(A|a)im off point

Replace:     $1im-off point

this works for me correctly both in FM Find/Change and in my own script FMfindRepl.

IT depends on your general case how the RegEx should look then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks K. Daube, I'll give that a try.  That's a good idea for using the first capture group to capture the case.  However, my real goal is to use a second capture group to capture the capture the word suffixes; i.e., "fine-tune, fine-tuning, fine-tunes, or fine-tuned and add it to the replacement.  When I use:

Search: fine-tun([eing]{1,3}) //matches fine-tune and fine-tuning

Replace: fine-tun$1

I get "fine-tun$1" as the replacement.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong with my search / replace strings, but haven't succeeded yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was traveling all last week, so just now getting back to this issue.  I figured out why the replace script isn't appending the $2 capture group correctly.  I'm not using an actual FM ChangeToText function.  Instead I'd built a simple routine that inserted a replacement string at the end of the text that was found using doc.AddText.  Accordinly, it inserts my replacement text literally; "fin-tun$2".  I need a script to insert the replacement text using a function that mimics the FM ChangeToText dialogue.  If I'm unable to figure it out on my own, will start a new post to the forum.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Back on my script project after being tied up for the past three weeks.   I ran across a 2018 post from Rick that explained my problem.  I was simply taking the ReplaceString from my table and inserting it after the found text, instead of doing this...

if (regex.test (text) === true) {

text = text.replace (regex, "$1.$2");

alert (text);

}

Thanks again for taking time to reply.  I should be able to get this working now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines