Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross References displaying custom text

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this.

I've used FM for many years but have never tried this, and am wondering if it is possible. I'm thinking it is, I simply have never had need to do this. I am using FM unstructured documents. 

To explain: I have a book comprised of multiple documents. With the finished PDF, I want the reader to be able to click on a term which sits within a paragraph in a table and have FM take the reader to a table in a separate document which contains a description of this term. I also want to be able to define what displays on the source entry. In other words, I want what the reader clicks on to display whatever text I want it to display.

So, I:

1. create a cross-reference marker where the term exists in the destination document and table.

Then I:

2. go to the source document and table, highlight the term where I want to cross-reference to be invoked, and go into the Cross-Reference window to try and create the reference.  

But I do not see how I can have the text of my choice appear as the cross reference. In other words, if I want the blue link to display <pizza pie>, how do I do that?

I hope this makes sense. And I appreciate any feedback. I notice that there are cross-reference building blocks. And I thought that would do it, but these don't quite do it either.

Once I have this accomplished, I need to be able to do this across separate books. I have a large project with 24 books (and five documents or so within each book) which have to be cross-referenced in this fashion. 

Thanks again to any who can help.

Cheers,

Oscar 

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering , PDF output , Publishing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oscar, have you considered inserting Glossary and GlossaryTerm markers in your docs, allowing you to generate a glossary for each book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A glossary may be what I'll need to do. I am so grateful to the entire Adobe Community for chiming in with so many great suggestions and ideas.

You guys all rock. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To everyone who has suggested ideas and procedures to help me - THANK YOU. The Adobe Framemaker community may be small, but it's certainly mighty. I have much to consider right now.  And it's all because of your wonderful insights. Thanks again. 

For now, I am going to plow ahead with the creation of the basic documents.  A little later I will start focusing 100% of how to accomplish my x-ref . At the moment I'm thinking my best options are either pop-up windows or perhaps a glossary of terminology at the end of each book.

As Arnie said...."I'll be back".

- and thanks again all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines