• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-referencing question

Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are writing a manual where we need to be able to cross-reference items in our Illustrated Parts Catalog (IPC). In the IPC sometimes the figure number and the item are the same but the part number is different. Please see the example. 2 is the Figure Number, 1080 is the item number.

We need to be able to reference the Figure Number and Item Number within text of other chapters. The problem is, when we go to use the Cross-Reference pod it will show us multiple Figure Numbers and Item Numbers that are the same (because they are). Is there a way we can make a distinction? Say I just want to cross reference Part Number 65258-07065-101 which has the same Figure and Item as the rest? In the text the cross-reference needs to read (Figure 2, Item 1080).

Thank you!

x-reference.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you can do this if you use Insert > Marker and select Cross-Reference from the Marker Type drop-down list. Then you can enter whatever you want in the Marker Text field, which should let you distinguish between the multiple parts. Cross-referencing would then be to the cross-reference marker instead of to a paragraph tag.

It would have to be done manually for each part unless you have someone who is good with ExtendScript (or hire someone like Rick Quatro).

(BTW, I notice that you have two parts listed with identical numbers but different descriptions.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines