• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default Product Server Path

Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, I have two FrameMaker books in separate folders (paths).  In my book file, it displays the path to each. I would like to know how I can create a default path on the server, so that both files will always link, regardless of the folder names and path used for both.  In HTML it is commonly done with ...\ but how is this done with FrameMaker files?

Currently, the books are both in a production sever environment, so the paths in FrameMaker are literal paths to where they reside.  I want to be able to move them, place them on another server and still have the links working.  Do I have to re-establish all unresolved cross-reference links after I move them?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry! I was on the wrong path for now.  I am producing PDF versions of the books, only. Therefore, I need how to maintain link integrity between the PDF files when they are currently in my own production server folders and they will be moved to an internal company server for personnel access.  I need to know how to create, maintain, and validate links once moved to the internal company server.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't quite understand what you're trying to accomplish - are you talking about xrefs from one FM book to another in the .fm files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FrameMaker files need to be in the same relative locations to each other for links to work. If I recall correctly, you should be able to copy the directory structure from where it branches off to the two sets of books, the links should still work. BUT! the directory names and path have to stay the same from that branch point. So if you have something in C:\Documents\Project\Book 1 and C:\Documents\Project\Book 2, you'd have to copy everything from the Project folder on down for the links to work.

On the other hand, Rick Quatro offers a script for $49 called PathChanger that will extract all the paths for xrefs and book locations into a spreadsheet format that you can edit to the new paths and reimport into FM. Depending on the number of files and xrefs and how radically you need to change the locations, this may also be an option.

(I may be making use of this myself, soon, as my company is moving from Box to SharePoint Online and almost ALL of my graphics except for Master page and Reference Page elements are imported by reference.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines