• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded Font in imported PDF not in final output

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wording with a purchased version of FrameMaker 2017 and am having trouble with imported pdf drawings.

I get exploded diagrams with part numbers that are created by another person. In these pdf's I can highlight the part number and copy/paste it into another program (WORD as example).

I import these files into a FrameMaker book (File>Import>File By Reference) and they appear fine. 

I finish the book by File>Print Book, select Abode PDF driver.

The problem is the imported pdf drawing numbers now won't copy/paste into another program (􀀜􀀗􀀖􀀃􀀘􀀙).

Any advise is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try File > Save As PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, with the same results. I may try Import into document but afraid the file will get huge, and will lose the updatability of the refernce file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither worked; Import into Document and Save-As PDF or Print to PDF driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the text embedded in the PDF imports:
- is visble & copyable in the PDFs
- appears correctly in FM edit
- appears correctly in FM PDF output
? but isn't copyable
I'm unclear on when the 􀀜􀀗􀀖􀀃􀀘􀀙 glyphs arise.

Early suspects might be subsetted font embedding and/or use-system-fonts in output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, just what are the characters?
Those ô€€œ pasted in, resolve to Unicode
U+10001C
which is in the Unicode Supplementary Planes (above U+FFFF), and which FM does not yet support (FRMAKER-10976). Not having experimented with it, I don't actually know what FM does with Unicode SMP coming in with EPS/PDF/SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the text embedded in the PDF imports:
- is visble & copyable in the original PDFs
- appears correctly in FM edit, Yes, the graphics and numbers are legible as they should be
- appears correctly in FM PDF output. Yes, the page looks correct.
 After I've imported the graphic with numbers into FrameMaker, then pdf the entire book, in the book pdf I cannot copy those numbers. That is where the numbers don't come out correct. 

It has worked in older manuals that I did not create. I would like to improve my manuals so they do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just numbers

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Just numbers

It might be interesting to copy out what's in the final PDF, and paste it into a codepoints analyzer like Unicode code converter, and see just what PDF thinks is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea.

To see what that converter will do, I pasted the numbers from the original pdf (that will be imported) into the converter and it produced the same numbers in most of the fields. Okay, now I know what the converter is supposed to do.

Then, after importing the pdf into FrameMaker and pdf the whole book, pasteing the highlighted numbers into the converter resulted in all fields with strange symbols.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: …pasteing the highlighted numbers into the converter resulted in all fields with strange symbols.

What was reported in the U+hex section of the page?

It might also be useful to open a source PDF that's causing trouble, and examine the properties /Description\, and perhaps the /Fonts\.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines