Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find non-breaking space with regular expression

Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is just for info, if anyone else needs to find non-breaking spaces with regular expressions.

"\ " or \u00A0 or \s does not work.

And it took me half an hour to find out that I have to use this notation:

\x11 (in the online help in the appendix in Windows character sets; not described in the section about Find and Regular expressions)

Characters in Unicode notation are generally not found with regular expressions.

Best regards

Winfried

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Thanks Winfried. You can use this as substitute for \s in FrameMaker regular expressions:

[\x08-\x14\x20]+

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Winfried. You can use this as substitute for \s in FrameMaker regular expressions:

[\x08-\x14\x20]+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thank you very much! I will remember this info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps we separately need some discussion of how FM renders and publishes non-breaking spaces.

\x11 and \u00a0 are not, today, the same thing.

\x11 gets honored during FM edit and text layout, gets rendered as a plain U+0020 space to PDF (based on a test), and based on this thread that appeared the same day, may get rendered as   to HTML.

\u00a0 (U+00A0 NO-BREAK SPACE), based on a casual test, is not honored for FM edit/layout, and I haven't tested how it renders to PDF or HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines