• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 10 Crashing when applying conditional text tag

Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.

For some reason, FM keeps crashing when I try to apply a conditional text tag to a table (entire table). The funny thing is I have been doing this same thing for three months now with no problems before today, even have two tables in the same document with different tags applied to them and they are working fine.  But when I try to add this one, I crash. I have rebooted my computer and made sure all my drivers are up to date, but now I'm at a loss.  Any help?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

> I am selecting all rows in the table with the mouse and then ...

What happens if you apply the CC to just the table anchor in Flow A.

When you are conditionalizing an entire table, tagging just the anchor is usually easier, and in your case, might be more stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this makes no sense. I just copied and pasted the text (did not import any tags or anything from the menu, just Ctrl+A then copy/paste), tried creating a tag and applying it to the table and it stopped responding.  Can text actually become corrupt? I've never heard of that (grant you, I'm not a computer genius), but I don't know how else to explain it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it only happening when applying the tag to a table? just how are you applying tags - use the camera icon to attach screenshots if you can

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can apply the tag to the pictures in the document, its only when applying to the table. I am selecting all rows in the table with the mouse and then selecting the tag, clicking the radio button "in" and then clicking the "Apply" button.  It then asks "apply condition tag settings to all rows in table?" I hit "ok" and then it freezes, screen shots provided.

Pic 1: My project at table causing problems.

Screenshot 1.jpg

Pic 2: Me selecting the table and choosing to apply tag.

Screenshot 2.jpg

Pic 3: Me affirming I want to apply the condition to all rows.

Screenshot 3.jpg

Pic 4: Program stops responding.

Screenshot 4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I see - what about doing it with a shortcut key? I keep my conditional pane minimized most of the time. I select the text/objects that I want conditioned, then press CTL-4 (control and four key together) - the status section of the screen (bottom left corner - where you get info about the paragraph and character tags being used) changes to display whatever condition the selection has applied to it. I can then either press the first letter of whatever condition tag I was to apply or click on the dropdown arrow to get a pop-up of the tag list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I am selecting all rows in the table with the mouse and then ...

What happens if you apply the CC to just the table anchor in Flow A.

When you are conditionalizing an entire table, tagging just the anchor is usually easier, and in your case, might be more stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Error7103!

Selecting the anchor did work. I didn't know I could select the anchor (like I said, been teaching myself how to use FM, so some things that seem obvious to others I have yet to think of). I was able to select the anchor and apply the tag without it crashing.

EDIT: If I did something to cause this, let me know so that I don't do it again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Selecting the anchor did work.

Glad to hear it.

> I didn't know I could select the anchor (like I said, been teaching myself how to use FM, so some things that seem obvious to others I have yet to think of).

I'm not sure I'd classify it as obvious. I only recently stumbled upon it myself. We use anchor tagging not just for tables, but also for anchored frames generally. This supports relatively painless variant manual editions.

By the way, I rarely put anchors at end-of-para. They can be hard to select, and the anchor sym tends to obscure punctuation (or its omission). So I put them elsewhere, usually right before a plural "s". Caution: anchors break the word for spell-check purposes, unless Adobe fixed this in FM7.2 or later.

> If I did something to cause this, let me know so that I don't do it again!

If others cannot duplicate the crash on FM10, it might be something you're doing. But Frame is not free of anchored object problems. My user ID here reflects a common, if random, crash with right-run-in frames anchored to across-all-columns paras on FM7.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could be a bug - we found the similar phenomenum and we sent it to Adobe India.

- GEorg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbie,

I got your email and will get back to you on it,however meanwhile we can try this small step,may be it might work.

Make sure you have the backup of all your books somwhere on the computer.

Open the folder where Framemaker is installed in the Adobe folder in Program Files.

Make sure you close Framemaker before doing this.

There is a file that says "maker.ini",rename that file to "maker_old.ini".

Now launch Framemaker and open the book manually selecting the location its saved in the computer through Framemaker by clicking on the "open" icon.

Apply the tag now and take a look if it still crashes.

Could be a possibilty Framemaker might not lauch after renaming that file,if that happens,kindly rename it back to the original name "maker.ini".

Thanks

Harpreet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this same problem myself in Frame 10. The document is a legacy installation guide I've been maintaining for 15 years. For some reason, conditionalization applied to a table row has caused Frame to crash whenever I try to do anything with conditionalization in that chapter only. For example, if I select "Show All" to try and reveal this particular row which is currently hidden, it will crash the application. Is this considered to be a known issue at this time? Does anyone know a workaround for it?

These same conditional tags have existed in this document for at least 5 years, so there's nothing new there. The table row itself was just added in this product release though. I took a copy of the chapter file from the release prior to this one, and I can use conditionalization normally there, but as soon as I try to recreate this new table row, and apply the appropriate conditional tag to it (and save it) the behavior returns.

I've tried completely stripping all conditionalization from the chapter, and recreating it...same thing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it’s crashing with a new document sample, file a bug report with Adobe. Make sure you’re sending in the error logs to the Adobe engineers too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if the newly released Frame 11 addresses this? From what I understand, this bug was reported three years ago...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Does anyone know if the newly released Frame 11 addresses this? From what I understand, this bug was reported three years ago...

Why do you add it to the Favorite Bug Fixed? thread I just started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame 11 is much more stable,then previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening to me. We just upgraded to FM 10.  I have had this book conditionalized in FM 9 without any issues for a logn time. Now, crashes all over the place. I did have to do a MIF wash but with so many of our sources conditionalized, this is really a pain to keep having this happen over and over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines