• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 2020 crashing on Windows VM

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello...has anyone tried working with FrameMaker 2020 on Windows Virtual Machines? We got a Windows server license installed to enable multiple users to work in parallel on the VM. But FM keeps crashing. Its behaviour is random. Working fine for one user. Any thoughts or how to resolve this? Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to run regular FM like that is probably a violation of your license - you'd want the FM Server version to do that I think. You can run regular FM on a virtual Windows machine, but it would just simulate 1 user at a time running it (just like if were installed on your physical machine).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff,

All users have their respective FM license under Enterprise License agreement, so it is not like using a single desktop license for all users. We have used FMPS too in the past to queue jobs run by multiple users. In that scenario, FM used to get launched and closed after processing of files. Then launch again for another user. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest you contact the FM folks - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#framemaker for your Adobe Support options. I'd recommend using the tcssup@adobe.com e-mail address as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Windows are the VMs emulating?
Anything interesting in:
C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\fmlogs\16\…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't that be \16\ Bob?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Revised. Thanks.
Of course, this presumes that it's just FM that's crashing, and not the whole VM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2024 May 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is only FM crashing. Not the VM. Everything else on the VM is running fine. Also, it is just a test VM as of now to check the feasibility of multiple users working in parallel. Will check the mentioned path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to my advice about contacting the FM folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having trouble following the previous replies, so pardon any of my response that's already included in those previous replies.

First, I've used Fm on Windows exclusively via VM (vmware fusion) since 2012. I couldn't be happier. Adobe webinars (including tomorrow's RoboHelp Merged Help webinar), new feature videos, books, etc. all produced on a Macbook.

My question is with your Windows Server license. My understanding is that Windows Server is not the same as Windows desktop.

I'd expect you can easily use the current version of FrameMaker with the current version of Windows for desktop, with the current version of vmware fusion.

If you're looking to share licenses across a team, and keep on the right side of your EULA, consider services like a previous client of mine, Numecent 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines