Exit

FM&PDF: title= tooltip, hovertext, popup, hovertip as it seems not

Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the HTML attribute
<tag … title="text_to_appear" …
frequently in any HTML I author by hand (or where a forum tool menu provides a field, as this one does). In most browsers, it causes a tooltip popup to appear showing the text_to_appear (aka hovertip).

Example: This link loops back to this thread.

I was lately wondering if FM can generate that for cross-references and other hypertext, to it's various output workflows, in particular PDF. It appears that the answer presently is: no, and no.

Apparent No#1:
Unstructured FM's insert-Xref dialog has no fields for anything but target ID and format. The inset-hypertext has no fields for anything but command ID and target address. There are fields for some other object types, like hotspots in images.

Apparent No#2:
Even if FM could routinely support 'title' in hypertext (which would likely be useful for HTML/XML workflow), it appears that PDF has no standard construct for it (perhaps because Postscript didn't either). When people ask for PDF in-document tooltips on various fora, various hacks are suggested, such as scripts & forms.

Acrobat Pro has a right-click Edit Link which shows some metadata on the Actions tab, such as (for an FM generated PDF xref):
Destination name: M2.9.12345.Paratag.Text

These questions are in support of a potential enhancement request, but I'd like first to make sure I grasp the whole current, if not historical context of this.

A present project is already doing a hack for spot cross references, and if FM supported 'title', I'd have used it to note the target of every one.

TOPICS
PDF output , Publishing , Responsive HTML5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?