• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM breaking words at line's end without wrapping.

Participant ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have a document in which FM is not wrapping words at the end of lines:

TCBill_0-1711626527021.png

Note that the first line has broken the word "Transfer" in two, without a hyphen, when it should have wrapped that entire word to the next line. It is also breaking cross-references; see line 2.

I have played around with the pagination and hyphenation options to no avail. Chanig the line alignment is no help either; the sentence as shown above is "justified" but the same thing happens when I set it to "left." Setting the alignment to "centered" has a very comical looking result, but the topmost line is still broken mid-word.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Wow, Bill! This was a tricky one to solve!  🤯

You can designate characters that are allowed to appear at the end of a line in Format > Document > Text Options > Allow  Line Breaks After. As a default, FrameMaker defines a forward slash, a hyphen, an en dash and an em dash, meaning that it's OK to end a line with one of those four characters.

2024-03-29_16-39-45.png

Somehow the letter a was added to the list, allowing FrameMaker to break after an a!

2024-03-29_16-36-00.gif

This is a document level command, so if this is going on

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you getting any missing font messages when you open the document? Try making a PDF to see if the line breaks are correct there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No missing font messages upon opening either the book or the document. Also, the problem is still there in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Looks strange. What paragraph language is set in the Paragraph Designer?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The language is set to US English

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. That's good. When set to none, FrameMaker would not know, how to hyphenate properly.

Still something like your hyphenation should not happen.

Can you do a MIF wash? Save as MIF and then back to FM again.

What's your FrameMaker version in Help | About? The current version is 17.0.3.

Which font do you use? I think that I noticed something like your issue with an Asian font.

Best regards, Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The MIF wash didn't have any effect.

FM version: 17.0.3

The font is boring ol' Arial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few more questions for you...

• No chance there is a space in the middle of those two words, right? Is there anything in between the two parts? What happens when you click in front of the n in transfer and press backspace once? Does the a disappear?
  • What are your Paragraph Designer > Advanced > Word Spacing values? Actually, could you just share a screen shot of Advanced properties so that we can see the hyphenation and word spacing settings?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

In answer to your first question, the does disappear when I backspace over it.

As to the second question, here's the screen scrape:

TCBill_0-1711635268518.png

Thanks a million!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an odd one. Are you comfortable sharing your file with me? You can put it on a cloud server like dropbox and put the link here (public) or you could click my name above this reply and message it to me directly. I am very happy to take a look at it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, Bill! This was a tricky one to solve!  🤯

You can designate characters that are allowed to appear at the end of a line in Format > Document > Text Options > Allow  Line Breaks After. As a default, FrameMaker defines a forward slash, a hyphen, an en dash and an em dash, meaning that it's OK to end a line with one of those four characters.

2024-03-29_16-39-45.png

Somehow the letter a was added to the list, allowing FrameMaker to break after an a!

2024-03-29_16-36-00.gif

This is a document level command, so if this is going on in more than one of your files, you can just go to File > Import > Formats and import Document Properties from a corrected file to the other files in your book. Happy weekend! 😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WowJust wow.   

As someone once said, "With great power comes great responsibility," and that's certainly true with Framemaker. It has a lot of powerful-but-arcane features, and it is our responsibility to use them wisely. I inherited this project from a person who no longer works for the company, so I cannot ask them what they had in mind by doing this. 

By the same token, I also cannot dope-slap them.

Thank you for your brilliance and your willingness to share it.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the same token, I also cannot dope-slap them.

OK, that made me laugh out loud, Bill. 😂

To be honest, I've been wondering why anyone would ever add an a to that dialog box, much less two of them. It defies logic. And I'm sorry to hear that they are no longer available to answer our questions. The two theories bouncing around in my head: either an unintentional error by a new user who wasn't paying attention, or a clever bomb planted on the way out by someone who knew Fm very, very well. Either way, this can't work for long again, because now the experts here know what to look for. 😉

Have a great weekend, Bill. We'll see you again next time you hit a snag.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe they left on bad terms and that was their way of making life miserable for their replacement. I have noted that in case I need it :-).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you leave Carmen Publishing? 😂

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

<obvious_dripping_sarcasm>I hear his boss (pictured below) is difficult to get along with</>

MattSTechCommTools_0-1712074966704.jpeg

-Matt Sullivan
FrameMaker Course Creator, Author, Trainer, Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines