• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM2015 Error message "Failed importing documents" when publishing book to responsive HTML5

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw an earlier post with a very similar question, but no answer.

Operating System Windows 7

FM2015, version 13.0.4.532.

Attempting to publish a large book (4 Introduction-type files, then 3 groups; group 1 has 4 child books, group 2 has 24 child books, group 3 has 8 child books, for a total of 296 files, and approximately 500 images throughout all imported by reference). I have 100 MB hard disk space and plenty of memory. All files are opened.  I get the "Failed importing documents" message during the “Building TOC…” process after all files have been converted.

I have attempted 5 - 6 times. Always get the same result.

Is 100MB not enough space to publish the large book? If so, I may to figure out a work around.

Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into a similar situation with my "master book of books" content structure starting in FM12 importing over to RH11 - I created bug# 4033377 for the issue and tested FM2015 & RH2015 when they were in beta with a copy of the same content. Since the FM Publish mechanism is really the RH engine under the hood, I'm not too surprised that it's failing within FM2015 also. The only workaround I have is to use RH10 to suck in the FM12 content - that seems to work fine. Something in the RH engine changed between RH10 & RH11.

Are you completely patched up in FM2015? There's been 4 patches released now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have the latest patch (as of last week).

I do not have the skill set to recreate the settings and layout files and such in RH 2015 to match my desired final product. In fact, I struggled so much with RH last year that I abandoned RH altogether. FM has been much easier to publish the output look and feel that I want (until now). Even though it’s the same engine.

I really do not want to go back to RH.

Is there a work around I can use within the FM world?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely understandable – did you have it working in FM2015 before? If so, what’s changed? If not, then I think you’re going to have to get the FM support guys involved. In my case, I could see the FM files being converted to MIF in a temp directory, but RH wasn’t pulling it over to make the topics correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to publish successfully when using only a few child books. Not sure where the magic point is when it falls off a cliff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be able to experiment by “excluding” a book at a time to figure out where the threshold occurs…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. A fun, time consuming task. Considering compiling (publishing attempt) all files take almost an hour.

And hints on how to deal with Adobe support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the TechComm@adobe.com<mailto:TechComm@adobe.com> e-mail to start with – explain what’s going on (with point versions, o/s, etc.) & reference this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for reporting the issue.

You mentioned 100MB?  do you mean 100 GB?

The step you mentioned that it reports failure while building TOC...., Normally by that time FM already create HTML out of it.

Any way will it be possible for you to share you project to Adobe's tech support? We will look into that.

Thanks

Amit Jha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have tried with files which Jeff has shared with us in bug# 4033377 and I am able to publish Responsive HTML5 output from FrameMaker(13.0.4.532) as well as from RoboHelp(12.0.3.428) after importing the book.

Let me know which builds you have of RoboHelp and FrameMaker.

Thanks and Regards,

Surbhi Maheshwari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Operating System Windows 7

FM2015, version 13.0.4.532

I no longer have RoboHelp installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct space is 100 GB.

It actually fails at multiple times. Sometimes while converting, other times when “Updating Hyperlinks” and other times when “Building TOC” or “Building Index”. The point of failure is rather random. The error is consistent. “Failed importing documents”

After my most recent attempt, here are the last few entries in the FrameMaker Publish log:

Converting (292 of 293) "Implement....fm"...

Converting (293 of 293) "Reports.fm"...

Importing Frame Documents..

Importing Frame Documents..

Splitting...

Building TOC...

Building TOC...

Splitting...

Updating Hyperlinks...

Updating Index...

Updating Hyperlinks...

Failed Importing Documents

The -Responsive HTML5 folder contains only the empty index.html file. There are no individual book html pages.

Getting the project files may be difficult. We are not allowed to access any kind of cloud or shared site for security reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I have 100 MB hard disk space and plenty of memory.

100 GB would be ample disk space. 100 MB may not be. I've seen .tps or .ps output files exceed 100 MB for large documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines