• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM8 Crash on Launch (Internal Error)

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2008 Jun 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symptoms: Crash on launch and internal error screen, similar to those described in other threads ("Internal Error 8004, 6965356, 4565475, 5303539. FrameMaker has detected a serious problem and must quit."). This happens when launching the program directly, not while working on a document--so it does not appear to involve graphics, PDF creation, or other functions described in those threads.

I have removed FM8 and re-installed, but the result is the same. I am using v8 (originally including latest patch; new install straight from original CD so no updates applied) on Windows XP SP2 through Parallels (Mac G5). It works fine on another Mac (same configuration). I do not have an earlier version of Frame for Windows. I'm very unfamiliar with Windows--use it only for Frame--so most of the troubleshooting steps in the KB seem foreign to me.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2008 Jun 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen...

How much RAM memory and free disk space is available in each of these Macs? You say that they are configured the same, but that is open to interpretation.

Dennis....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 23, 2008 Jun 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific version (from Help > About, the "pxxx" designator) are you using (straight from original CD doesn't necessarily tell us). Why haven't you applied any updates?

Also, be sure your system has a default printer set up, ideally the "PDF virtual printer" usually called "Adobe PDF" that is set up by Acrobat (if you have the full Acrobat program) or by the Distiller-only install that comes with FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen,

Note, when you install the patches, you have to install them all in
order, not just the latest one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dennis: On both Macs, the amount of RAM capacity in Windows is about 512 Mb and the amount of free disk space is about 26.5 Gb.

Sheila: Error log says the disk-installed version is build 8.0p236. No patches were applied because I had just done a new install. I have now applied all 3 patches (v8.04)--no effect, still crashes at launch.

Running under Parallels Desktop, the default printer assigned is an HP. Changing it to the Adobe PDF printer has no effect--still crashes at launch.

Arnis: For original install on this machine, I believe patches had been updated sequentially.

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 24, 2008 Jun 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that I'd look at is somehow boosting the amount of RAM available to the program. 512 is just barely scraping by... On a production machine in a Windows environment, I think 2M is about the minimum and more is better if you run other memory intensive applications such as Photoshop at the same time.

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen, I'm still puzzling over "This happens when launching the program directly, not while working on a document".

Are you saying that the crash doesn't consistently happen when FM opens, and that sometimes it does open OK? Does it make a difference whether you're using a menu to open FM first, then open an FM file, vs. double-clicking on an already-created FM file?

There are users on the forum who have mentioned using FM under Parallels, so with luck one of them will jump in to offer some advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM *always* crashes on launch. I don't get a chance to open a document--it crashes at the splash screen, and won't go any further. No difference regardless of how I try to open: from desktop shortcut, Start menu, program icon within its folder, or a document--still never goes past launch.

As for RAM, Parallels does allow this to go up to 2048 Mb. Although Parallels is supposed to have a dynamic memory function, I'll try adjusting the amount manually. Do any Parallels users have any input?

Just a reminder that the exact same set-up works just fine on one machine, and only crashes on another machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen,

As an aside. You said your machine running Parallels is a G5. Parallels
only works on an intel machine.

I use Parallels with Frame. I allocate 1024 MB and that seems sufficient
for Frame. Crashing on application boot is something that is rare, but
on Frame it will frequently happen with a corrupt font. In fact, Frame
used to be particularly sensitive to having the correct symbol font
installed. If possible I'd look for a corrupt font.

Frame tries to give you an idea of what part of its boot sequence it is
working on. This is at the bottom right of the boot screen. Can you tell
us what Frame is doing when it crashes?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

Yes, I have an Intel Mac, sorry (same case + massive deadline = confusion).

At the bottom of the boot/splash screen it goes all the way to "core" and the red line fills the progress bar before the error message appears. I had considered a corrupt font, but the same set of fonts is fine on my other machine so I am not convinced.

If memory is set at 1024 or 2048, same thing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2008 Jun 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen,

The same set of fonts don't count since they are not the same, pardon
the expression, physical fonts. A font can go bad on one machine, but
not another. However, since you reached core, I doubt it is a corrupt font.

Do you have networking turned on in Parallels? Do you have a default
postscript printer set?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you only use Windows for Frame, can you reinstall the emulator and Windows and see what that does? Also, have you updated Windows with all patches?

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please send the error logs that are getting created to rabansal@adobe.com. You will find them in the FrameMaker installation directory with name as FrameLog_XX.XX.XX_XX.XX.XX.txt.

As suggested in one of the messages on the thread, Frame tries to give you an idea of what part of its boot sequence it is
working on. This is at the bottom right of the Splash screen. Please tell us what Frame is doing when it crashes.

Rajat Bansal
Engineering Manager, FrameMaker
rabansal@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rajat: Per previous message, boot screen reaches "core." Sending error logs per your request.

Mike: Yes, Parallels has networking on. (Set to shared in this case.) Yes, a default printer is set--HP8500 PS. In the past, I have been able to print from Frame to my local Mac printer using this default.

Art: Of course reinstall of Windows and/or Parallels is on the list--but last choice because of all the patching, updating, and re-setting. Had hoped to wait and do this piece at the same time as other Mac system work (on multiple machines I maintain).

--Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a FILE: port defined? Open the properties for your printer
and check the Ports tab. You don't have to assign it to anything, but I
have a vague recollection that this is somehow required.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

No luck here: both the default HP8500 PS and Adobe PDF printers have their respective ports selected in the printer properties/ports tab. Selecting the "use output file" radio button in the Parallels virtual machine (instead of "default printer") also yields no change.

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Karen,

I'd attempt to remove FrameMaker, use the Microsoft Installer Cleanup
Script and then re-install FrameMaker. If that fails you might give
Adobe a call since you are asking about installation.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines