• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 10 not printing PDFs

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2011 Apr 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to print to PDF on FrameMaker,  I get the "printing book" dialog box but nothing happens....the PDF is not created and no errors are reported. If I choose to print to poscript, open Acrobat Distiller, the PDF is generated there.

I recently upgraded to FrameMaker and Acrobat 10. I didn't have any issues on 9. I'm currently running both versions of FrameMaker on my PC for now.

Is this a Windows 7 issue? My co-worker has both versions of FrameMaker running with acrobat 10, but on an  XP system and everything seems fine on his end.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming to this thread after it's been running for a while, because I've just moved to a new client with FM 10.0.2.419 on Windows 7. Neither Save as PDF nor the round-the-houses Print to PDF works. Forum postings seem to suggest this is an installation-specific bug, and best addressed by upgrading to FM 11 – "throwing good money after bad" is one saying that springs to mind!  Can anyone tell me how to set about diagnosing this problem, so I can hand over a maximum of information to IT – it's a closed PC, so up to them to chase Adobe Support and get solutions – and start delivering the work I'm paid for?  Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having problems with both Save as PDF and print to PDF, you

might have a messed up Acrobat installation. I know that Acrobat X has

given me enough fits on Windows 7 64-bit to almost make me an eX-Acrobat

user! Something, including updates, seems to break Acrobat X regularly.

The fix is to delete the Adobe PDF printer, then go into Control Panel

to where you uninstall programs and choose the repair option.

You might test to see if PDF creation is also broken when creating PDF

from non-FrameMaker programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mike – I've forwarded your tip to IT, and we'll see what happens …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using any PDFs as graphics? Specifically, PDF graphics which contain rastor images. We solved our original issue by replacing a PDF logo with a TIF version. Recently I imported some screen captures from a PDF of a Word document to use as graphics and the no-printing problem reared it's ugly head again. When I replaced the images with PNG versions everything worked again. PDFs that only contain vector and text data seem to work OK as imported graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, but I'm only using .eps graphics. I'll bear in mind that using .pdfs with bitmaps might cause problems, if I ever get that far …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels,

Does this PC also have a full Acrobat installation? It's quite possible that if IT did the installation using the FM defaults, a copy of the PDFCreator add-on was also installed - which hoses the initial Acrobat Distiller installation. If a Repair operation from within Acrobat (Help > Repair) doesn't fix it, then you may have to re-install both Acrobat and FM making certain that the PDFCeator add-on isn't installed and that admin privileges (or account) are used to do the installation. Don't forget to then install all of the FM & Acrobat patches/updates in order of release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Forwarded to IT for their to-do list  Luckily, since I have the only FM licence, I can hope for a face-to-face visit rather than a remote installation script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The root of our PDF printing problem was that we were using a small PDF as a referenced graphic for the logo on our master pages. After we replaced the logo with a TIF the problem was solved. I corresponded with another person who was using a PDF as a graphic that had the same problem.

HTH,

Clint

Clint Owen | Sr. Technical Writer | Crane Aerospace & Electronics | +1 425 743 8674 | Fax: +1 425 743 8113

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines